Go Back   The Saga of Ryzom > English speaking community > Feedback
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 16th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #1
shadowweb
Former SGM

Production: Crafting and Mektoub Packers

Currently, when you have mektoubs in different stables, and you're standing next to any stable on Atys, you can craft materials coming from all your packers resting in stables. We are planning to correct this incoherence as follows:

• When crafting, you have to stand near the stable where your packer is resting and can use materials carried by this packer only.
  • If you have packers in one of the 3 Pyr stables however, you can stand near any of them to craft mats from these packers.
Read the full news Here.
shadowweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #2
iphdrunk
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Re: Production: Crafting and Mektoub Packers

I agree that, for the sake of realism, this patch makes sense -- and so it was discussed months ago when a patch fixed weird things like "dragging mats from my bag to the packer" whatever the packer may be --.

That said, I would like to state that, in my humble opinion, and given other related factors like the current state of Ryzom development, some players may express concern since there seems to be some more urgent and long standing bugs that have not been adressed. Maybe the *timing* to apply this patch could be considered inappropriate?

This change, despite its realism and purpose, only means one thing: more inconvenience to players, specially crafters and harvesters who have grown to live with it and found it practical to overcome other limitations and, unless other measures are taken as well (1), one natural question that may arise without too much surprise is "why this and now?" "don't they have better things to do?" or, expressed in more familiar language "why this nerf?"

In summary, it is true that one may want to pursue more realism but, also, without compromising gameplay. What will be next? I'd say that, with this noble goal in mind, materials stored in a merchant or hawker should only be retrieved at the same NPC where they were stored.

Let me just ask that, when this patch goes live, make it in such a way that raw materials that are in packers not standing at the stable where the player is crafting do not even appear in the craft window (not selectable), rather than an implementation where the player is able to select them and then the system validates it giving funny tihngs like the system backs off and empties the corresponding craft box

(1) For example, guild and appartment crafting, better inventory management, housing
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
marct

If you are going for realism, why have the Pyr 3 stables and it works the way it does today? You can check the map to see where your packers are stabled if you have forgotten.

As for the why now? Doesn't really matter to me, seems like an easy fix maybe, and one of the hundreds of things that "junior programmer working for croissants" can do to make things better.
marct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #4
oldmess

Quote:
Originally Posted by marct
one of the hundreds of things that "junior programmer working for croissants" can do to make things better.
Hehe, probably true. But, I'll bet that same jr. programmer could fix the gender bug too and if we got them both at the same time, no one would complain about the minor nerf effect.
oldmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
rellis

If the devs are striving for realism, then why not implement a realistic amount of packers. there is no reason realistically why you can only have 3 packers and one mount.a change in this would improve gameplay and be more realistic and woudl not nerf harvesters/ crafters

i kno this has being complained of time and time again. sorry to bring it up again but since the devs seem to be working on the inventories and packers can they not spend some extra time to make a lot of homins lives easier and comfortable?

Ive no idea on programming so forgive my ignorance if such a task would indeed take up a lot of time.
rellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
akicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowweb
Currently, when you have mektoubs in different stables, and you're standing next to any stable on Atys, you can craft materials coming from all your packers resting in stables. We are planning to correct this incoherence as follows:

• When crafting, you have to stand near the stable where your packer is resting and can use materials carried by this packer only.
  • If you have packers in one of the 3 Pyr stables however, you can stand near any of them to craft mats from these packers.
Read the full news Here.

An exception should not be made for pyr. Either you have to craft in the stables where your packers are you don't have to. Don't confuse the issue just because one town has more stables than others.
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
jam2005
Member (30+ posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmess
... no one would complain ...

I envy your optimism.
jam2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #8
oldmess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2005
I envy your optimism.
That's just in this thread. Optimism and pessimism for me are like IC and OOC for some people: 2 completely different personallities.

Usually I'm more like this until I get my first cuppa tea: Link
oldmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #9
forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by akicks
An exception should not be made for pyr. Either you have to craft in the stables where your packers are you don't have to. Don't confuse the issue just because one town has more stables than others.

I agree with this, every stable should be the same.
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #10
blaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphdrunk
This change, despite its realism and purpose, only means one thing: more inconvenience to players, specially crafters and harvesters who have grown to live with it...
well said... now give back my pr teleports.

doh!, it's old bug and it's time they fix it. BUT, Pyr should not get special privileges only because it has 3 stables.

also, keep your "/a summonPet #" command (or limit it just to towns/stables). treks are easy (and packers are cheap).
blaah is offline   Reply With Quote