Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM   #31
sehracii

Re: New server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michielb
Has anyone actually tried cross server trading through the ring or is everyone just guessing?

It works. >.>

I've traded one armor set to Aniro, and besides that, there was a full fledged player inter-shard trading event recently
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:28 PM   #32
jamela

Perhaps the intention is to split European and US playerbase, eventually. That would ease some timing issues, certainly. But to allow character transfers in the early days would cause irreparable harm to both Arispotle and Cho, in my opinion. Perhaps after 6 months or so, once Cho might have achieved a state comparable to Arispotle in terms of character abilities.
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:29 PM   #33
kostika

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylarth
New server will be a virgin as a new land invaded by colonists with major backing. If via ring trading remains. Guilds will create alt port to mainland, recieve cats + gear from main server, powerlvl to take the OP(s), and import the OP goodies to their main server, similar in time with PR sups. the new server will become a Farm for the main servers.

While you're probably right, shutting down trades in Ring scenarios would stop the ability to reward players for activities in a player's scenario. The scenario can't give rewards, but we can.
kostika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #34
rothimar

Inventory transfers via the ring do need to cease. I can only imagine the issues with server balance that could arrise. A new server needs the opportunity to grow on its own without cross server import/export.

Aside from that... I sure as heck wasn't expecting another server. /boggle
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #35
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmess
That's the part people are considering "xenophobic". You can use the phase "admitted from both 'communities'" all day long, but that doesn't make it true.

Quoting the post from someone of the other POV would, if I could find it again.

Anyone who thinks different cultures don't have different desires and aren't marketed to differently needs to wake up.

Nor did I say 'ship those buggers off'. I'm sure a few people would transfer but most would stay put. Primarily I think it'd be easier on everyone to start establising one as a US timezone server and letting it build up, mostly from new players, into that.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #36
marct

The big question really is, will all the resources be in the same place?

If that is true, then anyone on any of the 3 servers can jump to Cho, and PowerLevel like a champ and try to be King of a new server.

On the other hand, if they randomized this or something, well then, I bet not to many would be up for the challenge. It would just be like leveling another character, not about the thrill of being the UBERDOOD!!!
marct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM   #37
xolghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by michielb
Has anyone actually tried cross server trading through the ring or is everyone just guessing?
At the moment it works... There's even events *ehem* scenarios being held for the purpose of cross-trade.

Nonetheless, I think I remember it was said that crosstrade was not supposed to be functional which renders it a bug.
That way, I wouldn't be so confident in that it still works after tomorrows patch. If it does, however... *feels something cold creeping up my spine*

Still... what's the purpose of Cho?

EDIT: at this very moment that trade scenario is scheduled to be online...
xolghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM   #38
xolghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by marct
.snip.
I stuck my curious nose on more than one shard's mainland...
Resources are located identically.
xolghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM   #39
sehracii

Quote:

Random resources still wouldn't halt exploitation of the outposts and with a little more time, bosses.
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #40
revblack

Quote:

If that is true, then anyone on any of the 3 servers can jump to Cho, and PowerLevel like a champ and try to be King of a new server.

On the other hand, if they randomized this or something, well then, I bet not to many would be up for the challenge. It would just be like leveling another character, not about the thrill of being the UBERDOOD!!!
I hope they randomise it a little. If things are in the same place, isn't there even a way to copy over landmarks from one char to another? (they're saved client-side, if I remember correctly) That makes it effortless for players with all the mats marked out to find stuff on the new server. Reminds me a little of Insta-bookmarks and EVE Online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolghost
Nonetheless, I think I remember it was said that crosstrade was not supposed to be functional which renders it a bug.
That way, I wouldn't be so confident in that it still works after tomorrows patch.

Still... what's the purpose of Cho?
Hopefully they fix that too, if not with the patch, but within a day or two. Any new server's economy doesn't need to be adversely affected by established ones.

And I think GrimJim is probably right, as Cho will most likely be for North American players. It would make OP battles and events easier to time. Plus, he is right on the differences in culture. They're not dramatic, but they do exist.
revblack is offline   Reply With Quote