Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM   #121
riveit

Re: New server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashling
... but you know nonone called USA players more aggressive untill you just did. The closest I saw was that maybe USE players like PvPer more but being a PvPer and being agressive don't automatically go hand in hand

I think he wanted you to reflect on the meaning of aggression in chess. For instance, was Kasparov's style more aggressive than Bobby Fischer's? Was Deep Blue or Kasparov more aggressive? Was Deeper Blue more aggressive than Deep Blue? Was it bluer?
riveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #122
marct

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmess
A more detailed posting on the purpose of this new Cho server would be great. A lot of us don't see why you need a new server for English considering the current population of Arispotle.
Go spend some time on the starter island and you might understand. There are a whole lot of people who are truley taking full advantage of the 'free' MMORPG that they now have available to them.

I think the server Population is quite high actually, the difficulty is that the starter island is not it's own shard, but in fact is part of each shard.
marct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #123
Marjo
Community Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmess
A more detailed posting on the purpose of this new Cho server would be great. A lot of us don't see why you need a new server for English considering the current population of Arispotle.
We have to expect more people to come try and play Ryzom with the Ring release. Keeping only the current shards wouldn't suffice.
Marjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #124
iphdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo
As many of you already know, we won't open Cho now. We decided to not open it, as the issues you raised are relevant and don't fit at all the vision we have for Ryzom. we will let you know when we will open it.

Marjo, Nevrax,

Thank you very much for this answer. I appreciate that you have considered our feedback and concerns and acted accordingly.
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM   #125
truce1

Quote:
We have to expect more people to come try and play Ryzom with the Ring release. Keeping only the current shards wouldn't suffice.

Let them get stuffed, then add a new one lol.

/hides
worked for WoW.
/runs....
truce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #126
oldmess

Quote:

Thank you for the reply.
oldmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM   #127
rothimar

Thank you for your replies Marjo, it's very nice to know what's happening from an official point of view.

Quote:
As many of you already know, we won't open Cho now. We decided to not open it, as the issues you raised are relevant and don't fit at all the vision we have for Ryzom. we will let you know when we will open it.

And to remove any doubt about it, as Choule said on the French community board we don't plan to merge all the Ryzom servers together. It has never been our intention.

Quote:
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #128
rushin

Well it’s an interesting problem that arisen now… (and all comments on Cho are of course speculation but its good to consider nasty ‘what if’ scenario’s)

On one hand we have exchanges of items available in the ring. Taken in isolation this is a very good thing, in it’s simplest form allows creators to reward participants in their scenarios. A slightly more exotic (and questionable) use has already sprung up with an inter-shard market, and finally we have the theoretical transfer to and from a new shard. The second two seem to be not so great, it makes progress and long term actions meaningless if equipment, items, OP rewards can be moved around between independent universes without control.

I suppose a short term solution is only to allow exchanges amongst players on the same shard. It’s not very elegant and a bit insular though, but off the top of my head I can’t think what else they can do. It’s been suggested that banning transfer’s to and from Cho for a period of months to allow it to settle down and get established would work but I don’t think it will. When that time period is up its markets will be full of high level equipment from established players on other shards, making its own inhabitants endeavours if not worthless then much less valued.
rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM   #129
rothimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushin
When that time period is up its markets will be full of high level equipment from established players on other shards, making its own inhabitants endeavours if not worthless then much less valued.

I hadn't thought of this aspect yet... what would the point in crafting on Cho be if items and equipment can be purchased cross-server?

I, for one, am glad Nevrax is reviewing their options in this matter.
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM   #130
raynes

Quote:

Wow, you have some huge expectations. I hope they come true, but somehow I don't think they will.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote