Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #71
riveit

Re: Outposts shifting to GvG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothimar
It also allows for the members of the dominating faction/alliance to gain strength faster than those of lesser holdings, thus cementing an imbalance and making it that much more difficult for the opposing side. Regardless of what faction/alliance holds the dominating share of OP's, the "underdog" experiences a degredation in quality of experience compared to that of the dominating force.

*edit* - I am not speaking directly about Arispotle, or the current situation/politics, but rather the concept as a whole.

To some extent, this feedback loop can be balanced by new people joining the underdog faction. If a faction gets much less new players, it doesn't matter how many cats they have, they will eventually be outnumbered and lose. However, the underdog faction can also get demoralized and despair, which reduces recruiting, players leave etc. I think that there should be some balancing mechanism implemented (assuming that perpetual factional warfare is the goal). Perhaps members of the weaker faction could just earn xp faster by some ratio as other games have done.

P.S. Sorry for straying so far off-topic.
riveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #72
calel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehracii
That's a fact of XP crystals, far from specific to alliances or factions.

Be it alliance, faction or an owning guild of an Op, then indeed. The more I think about it, the more it seems like XP crystalls as 'rewards' for Outposts were an incredibly bad move. Sure they can be handy, but while they were implemented as rewards for Episode 2, where you could convert the time and work you put into it into Xp crystals, you could only buy as much as you had 'earned', and no one but yourself could directly impose on how much you would be able to get.

In my opinion these crystals could have been the perfect rewards for fame missions. You put as much work in them as you want, each player individually, and get rewarded respectively. No one would dictate the speed at which others can progress.
calel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #73
rothimar

While I agree, if people were the join an underdog faction, the loop would eventually be broken. But I can tell you that I've had a few people express interest in joining Covenant until they were approached by "recruiters" who offered them cats we don't have to join the [insert guild name here].

So long as people can purchase loyalty with double XP, I fear the underdog... regardless of faction, will always have an unfair handicap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveit
To some extent, this feedback loop can be balanced by new people joining the underdog faction. If a faction gets much less new players, it doesn't matter how many cats they have, they will eventually be outnumbered and lose. However, the underdog faction can also get demoralized and despair, which reduces recruiting, players leave etc. I think that there should be some balancing mechanism implemented (assuming that perpetual factional warfare is the goal). Perhaps members of the weaker faction could just earn xp faster by some ratio as other games have done.

P.S. Sorry for straying so far off-topic.
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #74
mugendo

Quote:
While I agree, if people were the join an underdog faction, the loop would eventually be broken. But I can tell you that I've had a few people express interest in joining Covenant until they were approached by "recruiters" who offered them cats we don't have to join the [insert guild name here].

So long as people can purchase loyalty with double XP, I fear the underdog... regardless of faction, will always have an unfair handicap.

edit - and they are not buying loyalty...only their attention.

The attraction of 'practical' assistance (bribery) is hard to match as a new/poor guild. But I am sure you will eventually be the established guild doing the very same thing when offering assistance to new players.
Your time is coming Rothimar *points to banner declaring this*

And what does Rothimar's guild offer the newbies ?....erm..apart from ...friendship, patience, understanding...explaining Atys....and hunting and digging assistance........see...you offer NO CATS
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #75
riveit

Quote:
So long as people can purchase loyalty with double XP, I fear the underdog...

There are all sorts of reasons for people to join one side or the other. Fighting for the underdog, getting easy cats, for rp or lore reasons, for friends, liking the looks or regions of one side, better recruiters, nice guild websites, random chance etc. I can't predict what motives or numbers will dominate. They seem to fluctuate from month to month actually. I can say that a large majority of new players in the last few battles that I have attended were on the underdog side. However, the opening of Cho was a major disruption and will likely have a big effect on Arispotle for many months.
riveit is offline   Reply With Quote