Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 15th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #21
grimjim

Re: Can we play too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothimar
I agree, though Nevrax does need to attract enough players to keep the power on.

Good word of mouth and publicity should do that, things you don't get by wildly shifting lanes mid transit, but which the game does by and large have. A little advertising wouldn't hurt either.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #22
raynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
And that is the EXACT same situation Sony was in.
My concerns are not with the game coding and minor bugs, not even PvP.
My concern is quite clear in the Original post....What extent will the game be 'dumbed down' to cater to the wider audience ?

EDIT - and you are correct regarding my ignorance of the game/nevrax history, and specific details of a 'general point'.
Sony or Sony Online Entertainment has never been in financial bankruptcy. Ever. Their newer games might have not taken off, like they wanted (they certainly never lost money on them), but they always had Everquest to fall back on. This is not the same for Nevrax. They have been in bankruptcy (which means they could not pay their debtors). They are now looking like they will come out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
Ryzom is what it is and will be far better off with reasonable ambitions and fulfilling that potential WELL rather than trying to redesign into something it isn't. Which is what you constantly seem to be demanding it does. Individual appeal and a strong exploitation of a niche will attract loyal players of the 'right' type. Just look at the constant trickle of SWG refugees to see that and there's a lot more out there. Not Millions, but hundreds of thousands.

There are not 100's of thousands of new players playing this game. You know that as well as I do. You talked about word of mouth and advertising, well word of mouth requires players and advertising requires money which comes from players. The game is two years old and does not have a decent population. You think RP is enough to pull people? Take a look at Seed and you will see what RP alone gets you.

Kartiell, Mugendo, Grimjim and anyone else that is complaining about Ryzom changing. You seem to be missing the point. Ryzom needs to change in some aspects to get more players. They CAN NOT pay the bills if they do not change. That is what it comes down to. That isn't made up, that is fact. They have changed some aspects of the game and it has brought and kept some new players. You may not agree with this but you don't have to pay the electric bill when it comes in each month.

If Ryzom is to survive, then they have to do something different than before. It's that simple.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #23
katriell

You want to play a simplistic, bad game then Raynes. Because that is what Ryzom is not and thus what it would have to change to.

I'd honestly rather see Ryzom die as it is than be lobotomized and exist as a mere shadow, like SWG.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #24
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
Sony or Sony Online Entertainment has never been in financial bankruptcy. Ever. Their newer games might have not taken off, like they wanted (they certainly never lost money on them), but they always had Everquest to fall back on. This is not the same for Nevrax. They have been in bankruptcy (which means they could not pay their debtors). They are now looking like they will come out of it.

There are not 100's of thousands of new players playing this game. You know that as well as I do. You talked about word of mouth and advertising, well word of mouth requires players and advertising requires money which comes from players. The game is two years old and does not have a decent population. You think RP is enough to pull people? Take a look at Seed and you will see what RP alone gets you.

Kartiell, Mugendo, Grimjim and anyone else that is complaining about Ryzom changing. You seem to be missing the point. Ryzom needs to change in some aspects to get more players. They CAN NOT pay the bills if they do not change. That is what it comes down to. That isn't made up, that is fact. They have changed some aspects of the game and it has brought and kept some new players. You may not agree with this but you don't have to pay the electric bill when it comes in each month.

If Ryzom is to survive, then they have to do something different than before. It's that simple.

I am talking about a game ...you are focused on the Business. I have enough responsibility and obligations in my life without being concerned for the salary of folk who provide me entertainment. I am here for ENTERTAINMENT..once that ends I am out of here, it's a harsh reality of life some folk cannot seem to grasp.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #25
vguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriell
I'd honestly rather see Ryzom die as it is than be lobotomized and exist as a mere shadow, like SWG.
Wouldn't shadow of a shadow be more accurate ? We currently have a shadow of the game envisioned
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #26
rothimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vguerin
Wouldn't shadow of a shadow be more accurate ? We currently have a shadow of the game envisioned

And yet you are still here DT.

It seems to me that people spend too much time dwelling on the past, and not looking to the future. If you keep looking behind you, you'll never see where you are going.

I really wish everyone who keeps posting "shell of this", "shadow of that" posts would take a moment to think about why they are still here, and focus on that a while. I can only imagine how newer players than I must think about Ryzom with all of these statements on the boards. I wonder how many of them log in here, take a look around, and never log back in to either the game or forums again. If I had logged into the forums here before playing the game, I might have had different feelings about whether to play or not.

I know that some feel as though they were lied to, let down, etc etc... but will constantly discussing "what was supposed to be" (which there are about 3 or 4 versions of) help what could be?

Just something to think about.
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #27
mugendo

Quote:

but will constantly discussing "what was supposed to be" (which there are about 3 or 4 versions of) help what could be?

Yes it will help to discuss 'what was supposed to be'.
Now it's ...'what folk would still like to see'
Not all feedback has to be positive to be effective.
Honesty and concern are as useful as suggestions and compromise.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #28
rothimar

I'm not saying all feedback should be possitive. I am saying that feedback which is repeated over and over and over and over and over about something discussed 2+ years ago can get pretty old, and turn players away.

There comes a time when one must make the decision to live in the past, or accept the past and move on. I'm not saying give up on what people would like to see in the game... but veteran players can't seem to agree as to what it was supposed to be originally anyway.

I think at this point, complaining about past issues without bringing anything new to the table is pointless, repetitive, and somewhat damaging to the perceptions of newer players. I am all for feedback, but make it worth reading. Repeating the same thing over and over, without adding anything new, is pointless.

"Bob, the players are unhappy."

"What are they unhappy about Chuck?"

"No idea Bob, they just keep saying 'make it the way you said you would' but they can't seem to agree on what that was."

"Ah, ok Chuck. Well, if they can't figure out what they want, let's just try something new and see how it goes."

"Ok Bob, sounds good to me."

*edit* - Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
Yes it will help to discuss 'what was supposed to be'.
Now it's ...'what folk would still like to see'
Not all feedback has to be positive to be effective.
Honesty and concern are as useful as suggestions and compromise.
rothimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #29
katriell

Quote:
*edit* - Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this??
Nope. *huggle*

I'd almost say that for Christmas I wish for the ability to gag forum members. But I think we'd end up all gagged pretty quick. *this semi-random thought brought to you by dead servers and the number 38*

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #30
rivoth

What Ryzom is lacking doesn't require dumbing down. It just needs interesting content.

To the OP, in case you hadn't noticed everybody can craft here, everybody can wield a sword, everybody can use magic. We're fantasy Jedi if you want to take such a narrow view. So no need for the developers to change anything there. If anything we are in more danger of them trying to copy the WoW class system. Now that would suck!

The game has a decent foundation, character development is complex but interesting. Silan gives new players a pretty fun introductory experience. What it needs now is a little bit gentler of an introduction into the rest of the sandbox.

No player has the right to ask the developers to go bankrupt just so you can have a very fancy, small community chat world. The game is going to get bigger. You're going to have to adapt to the new people or get left behind.
rivoth is offline   Reply With Quote