Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #11
amisja

Re: Real Life Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmelit
Ooops, you are one step ahead of me haha. I have/had a similar plan
Now I'm not sure I'm going forward with it... Unless you do not intend to make expensive quality items.

Anyways, great idea and I wish you the best

Theres no reason why we both couldn't make them dear...as far as quality its just a case of the fabrics etc, obviously if someone wanted actual leather it would cost a lot more then fake stuff...which is also much easier to work with...how life copies Atys eh?
Jayney
amisja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:47 AM   #12
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amisja
Theres no reason why we both couldn't make them dear...as far as quality its just a case of the fabrics etc, obviously if someone wanted actual leather it would cost a lot more then fake stuff...which is also much easier to work with...how life copies Atys eh?
Jayney

A relative of mine used to make the pistol belts and holsters for the 'wild west' society, I was amazed at the amount of people who attended these events...his wife was a seamstress, and her entire income was from making the clothing for these enthusiasts. Karmelit and you should seriously consider creating Atys outfits......and others...there is a big demand out there, and very few suppliers.
My Fiancee and I are looking into the feasability of holding our wedding as a medieval event...maybe we can attend as Zorai
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #13
ayurveda

Hi Jayneylou ^^ I have questions: how would you make one? What would you use?

I'd like to make a matis or tryker MA (my fav is the fyros but you just *can't* wear that ) for myself and maybe a friend for some cosplay in conventions, but I'd mainly use paper, skin-coloured and dyed clothes. As I'm not really skilled in using a needle I can already predict it'll be ugly Oh and the wig is very important too.
ayurveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM   #14
acridiel

Hi Folks, as I´ve said in earlier posts I´m currently in the process of trying to build LARP Wapons Atys stile. Only thing is I´ve got very little time and the guys who help me doing it live quite far away and so we´re mostly able to meet every few weeks only. But well, I think Matis "living" Swords will be possible, the other effects are either a wheee bit to destructive (burning would be a very short performance), dangerous (electroshocks anyone?), or impossible (weaving..???? Ok, vibrating would be possible but *coughcougcough*)....

Anyway the stiles shouldn´t be such a problem appart from the two blades Fyros swords... We´re still trying to figure out a way to get a stable construction that doesn´t bend in itself.

We even have plans for some heavy armors

I´ll try and keep you posted

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:58 PM   #15
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
A relative of mine used to make the pistol belts and holsters for the 'wild west' society, I was amazed at the amount of people who attended these events...his wife was a seamstress, and her entire income was from making the clothing for these enthusiasts. Karmelit and you should seriously consider creating Atys outfits......and others...there is a big demand out there, and very few suppliers.
My Fiancee and I are looking into the feasability of holding our wedding as a medieval event...maybe we can attend as Zorai

All blue??
Who´d do the paint job?

CU
Acridiel
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #16
norvic

For "Waving" weps, internal chamber with dry ice, some holes to allow escape.
norvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #17
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridiel
All blue??
Who´d do the paint job?

CU
Acridiel

Maybe Fyros light armour in an outdoor location in Norway during the winter months ...guess that will make us blue enough
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #18
faedyne

Location: from the exotic lands of Myst, Aquaria, Ryzom, and Phantasy Star

I think everyone who can should try this. It would be great to see what can be done.

I look at cosplay outfits done in Japan and they really know how to do some fancy costumes, like especially mecha. Who outside of Japan actually makes polished surfaces like that? It's always cardboard or styrofoam, and that stuff does not paint well. I don't know what the Japanese use... if it's fiberglass or just polystyrene. I guess it's because it can be sanded smooth.
Mmmm, hot dog, I'd love to see some heavy Matis female armor done like that. or Aen armor.
faedyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:49 PM   #19
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvic
For "Waving" weps, internal chamber with dry ice, some holes to allow escape.

Trouble with that is,

1. that an "internal chamber" could only keep a certain very small amount of dry-ice, making it a very short lived effect. The wapon has to look good after all and be fairly slim to have a realistic look, a chamber crafted into it would make it very bulky.

2. Dry Ice is pretty dangerous stuff when not handled properly. Ever "burned" your fingers on it?

3. You´d need a mechanism to open and seal the "chamber", wich would make some kind of hinges nessesary, wich in turn would look very odd on a wapon.

4. you´d have to carry a case of the stuff around to refill the camber, to keep the effect going....

*sigh*

We´ll see

Acridiel

Last edited by acridiel : October 23rd, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM   #20
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridiel
Trouble with that is,

1. that an "internal chamber" could only keep a certain very small amount of dry-ice, making it a very short lived effect. The wapon has to look good after all and be fairly slim to have a realistic look, a chamber crafted into it would mae it very bulky.

2. Dry Ice is pretty dangerous stuff when not handeld properly. Ever "burned" your fingers on it?

3. You´d need a mechanism to open and seal the "chamber", wich would make some kind of hinges nessesary, wich in turn would look very odd on a wapon.

4. you´d have to carry a case of the stuff around to refill the camber, to keep the effect going....

*sigh*

We´ll see

Acridiel

CO2 cannister. Wouldn't be as long lived, but it should work after a fashion.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote