Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 25th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
cloudy97

I wish I was BIG!

Still, my highest level in a combat skill is 108. New people outlevel me in less than a month and I've played since August last year!

Sometimes I wish I was a BIG huge warrior like most of you, but killing mobs for the sole purpose of leveling makes me cringe. The things that really gives the player experience, like boss hunts or treks never result in another level. Instead it's the plantkilling teams that grow up very very fast.

Don't misunderstand, Ryzom don't lock me out of anything like a level based game do, but it would be nice to be the one who makes a difference at an outpost or help a new player trek Yrk-FH or being able to clear Upper Bog of cuttlers.

So sometimes "- I wish I was BIG!" (Tom Hanks in "Big" 1988)
cloudy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
fiach

Re: I wish I was BIG!

Hi Cloudy

Well tbh, if you want to be the one who"makes a difference at an outpost or help a new player trek Yrk-FH or being able to clear Upper Bog of cuttlers.", then you have to be of a suitable level to do that, therefore you have to grind your levels. Some MMO's dress it up a bit better than Ryzom, but it all breaks down into the same thing really.

That sounds a bit pedantic and sorry if thats the case, I dont want to appear rude, but some players consider doing those things, to be the essence of the game they want to play. They start off maybe with the goal of owning an OP and strive towards that, the OP gives them cats, to progress further/faster.

Maybe if you gave a flavour of what you have been doing since you started, like I would be level 108 in a week or so, without putting myself out too much. Do you prefer to RP and spend alot of time at that? Maybe you need a guilds support structure, to help you along with equipment/cats etc.

Some of my fondest memories would be standing on a hill in Dyron chain killing mobs and having a blast with friends on TS, grinding doesn't have to be boring

I hope you are still enjoying the game and are not letting levelling get you down, there is a very active community out there, that are very willing to help people get more out of Ryzom
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #3
elaquine

If your purpose in the game is not simply levelling, why are you so worried. When I played Everquest, I once spent about a month just exploring places I should not have been. (lvl 21 in Kithicor at night...) I died a lot and my experience level never moved but I had fun.

That was the thing that helped me in the end. I saw my guildmates who started after me hit 50, then 60 and 70 and burn out while I sat comfortable with my 27 levels and just enjoyed the experience. For some, it is the destination; for others, the journey...

Last edited by elaquine : October 25th, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
elaquine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #4
drcole22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiach
Some of my fondest memories would be standing on a hill in Dyron chain killing mobs and having a blast with friends on TS, grinding doesn't have to be boring

Completely agree Val. Team Speak makes the grind fest a little more enjoyable. Always nice to get together and annoy Blaze!
drcole22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #5
riveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy97
Instead it's the plantkilling teams that grow up very very fast.

Slightly off-topic, but I've never understood why plants are coded to give so much experience. They are by far the easiest and most boring thing to hunt (especially since jewel protections were introduced) - so why isn't the xp reward lower for plants? Perhaps the devs missed this side effect when they patched in the jewel changes?
riveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #6
mugendo

I wish I had the same level of skills as cloudy....I guess I have to dream of those BIG numbers since I have 'only' achieved 47 as my best since starting in May. , but looking forward to the BIG DING of 50 when I really branch out.

huh......low level my mask !...
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #7
norvic

You are BIG Ulani you BIG girls blouse, not all of a homins impact on Atys can be measured in lvls or damage dealt.

*hugs*
norvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #8
zanthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy97
Still, my highest level in a combat skill is 108. New people outlevel me in less than a month and I've played since August last year!

Sometimes I wish I was a BIG huge warrior like most of you, but killing mobs for the sole purpose of leveling makes me cringe. The things that really gives the player experience, like boss hunts or treks never result in another level. Instead it's the plantkilling teams that grow up very very fast.

Don't misunderstand, Ryzom don't lock me out of anything like a level based game do, but it would be nice to be the one who makes a difference at an outpost or help a new player trek Yrk-FH or being able to clear Upper Bog of cuttlers.

So sometimes "- I wish I was BIG!" (Tom Hanks in "Big" 1988)
Heya Ulani,

I try to not look at the mob killing as just that, especially Gignos and Raguses and other agro mobs, but as hunting and gathering of Craftable items for the guild, for others, and to make money on the vendors so that I may up grade my weapons and armor!
If you are more the harvester/crafter type the same thing you said about mob killing can also be said about harvesting or crafting. You are just harvesting/crafting to level! It's just a point of view I guess!
I hear ya about the op battles and clearing the upper bog but those come in time I feel the same way though. It's nice to feel like the "Big" guy once and be needed
zanthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #9
cloudy97

*gasps at Crythos* Hey! I looked that up you little...

Yeah, I rather be adventuring than grinding. If I don't risk DP I wont get the adrenaline running, and it's not worth doing. But then, I get lots of DP. Lots.

But the story arc is supposed to be eight years and we've done about two, maybe there is hope for me to be part of the "endgame" when it's time.
cloudy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #10
jamela

See if Sxarlet will lend you some of her dresses, they might make you feel BIGger
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote