Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 21st, 2006, 05:51 AM   #51
ajsuk

Re: Important Informations

Hopefully (and most likely) it'll be a smaller company, and hopefully they'll have the time, love & care required to keep this game and its community going. If it is a larger company, we can only express our worrys and see how it goes, hope they've learnt from past exp (and any cock ups) and do a better job of it this time around or they'll make an already fairly small game a whole lot smaller very quickly.

I shall be giving whoever it is a chance because thats just me, but shall have my eyebrow quite firmly raised for some time.
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:15 AM   #52
gretchen

If there is one thing I hope the staff at Ryzom impart to any would-be successors, it's the devotion of the players to the core principles that went into the game. I haven't been here long but it's not hard to spot from the perspective of someone who has played a few other games.

People like that it is different from other games.

People like that it is perhaps more complex than other games.

People love the flexibility and expression that that complexity allows for.

People love the close relationship between CSR and the players.

People appreciate the work that went into all the little details like the scampering life all over the place and the seasons and the weather and the foliage and especially the AI that makes the life of Atys seem very real.

People love events that they know how they can participate.

Any company that chooses not to take the above into account may as well hold an auction to sell the office furniture and board 'er up.

People are here because Ryzom is something special. If they make it average, well then people will have no reason not to explore other well-known options, both present and in the near future. Better it fizzle out than become Atys: The Gathering.
gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:24 AM   #53
sofiaoak

It seem s that Nevrax has financial difficulties as it's going to be receivership. Receivership usually refers to where an administrative receiver has been appointed to a company. Receiver’s job is to find the best way for to get all money back. Basycly any means receiver wants.

My opinion is that SoR as game is technically very good condition so there could be very good change that some other game company is interested of it. I only hope it's not SOE, because they idea about online games are, simplify.
sofiaoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #54
arfindel

First thank you, Nevrax, for this unique experience. It's my belief that, a flourishing business or a bankrupted one, unlike most of the similar companies Nevrax will have less a place in building a game (after all there are tens of companies out there making simply games): Nevrax will have a special place in the history of developping virtual communities for mature people. They did it early and they probably did it "avant la lettre", before enough of the market was enough developped to be able to taste it. It was and hopefully still is a wonderful adventure for a small team of people who really had an insight of what and how the modern community is developping. Whatever the results in financial papers, Ryzom is first step on a totally virgin land, socially and psychologically not enough explored even now.

Now strictly referring to the moment happenings, SoR is losing a lot out of this period of time. Both the advertising around the Ring and mainly the RoS implementation brought a lot of players daily in the game. It's a pitty that RoS wasn't up earlier. As is to be expected, given the game depth and complexity, out of the people comming from the island to mainland only some 1:5 are staying in the game. That's pretty normal to me as long as you don't build a WoW's 255th clone. But for a long time that 1/5 of the public who would love to live in SoR's world was not aware of this virtual world. If RoS was implemented a year earlier maybe at this time Nevrax wouldn't have to give up. But whatever other sollutions would have been out there, I still think SoR was a business developped before the market bloom and needed a lot of time, much more than the financial mechanics allow.

Not allowing new accounts now means a really hard loss, not only in potential customers but also in the trust these customers might have. The worst nightmare for a typical Ryzom customer is the fragility of the little world he is building inside.

Finally as I see things, the servers won't be merged as long as Nevrax is not sold to anyone else because having more servers is a valuable asset in any negociations.

Fingers crossed, Nevrax people, that whoever buys (and hopefully will be someone!) understands your ideals, strategy and insight and - by buying Nevrax - buys also Ryzom the time it needs.
arfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM   #55
flume641

no, this cant be, i find a game i like and one month later its risking going down the drain? *C-cry*
flume641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM   #56
cygnus

Ryzom is and has always been pretty much a Catch 22 Scenario with regards to finance and that has probably been the most significant factor in the game stagnating to a degree.

Myself I applaud Nevrax, they have tried and battled to keep going, like a punch drunk boxer they have reeled around the ring but unfortunately the ref has now counted them out.

I am excited about the possibilities ahead. I do believe the game will be taken over (lottery rollover this week, if I win it will be me!) and I don't believe any company that would make such a financial outlay would then do anything to drastically change the game in the short term. They may as well open the windows of the board room and throw their money into the street.

There is a solid base of paying customers, customers who have gone every round of Nevrax's fight and to ignore them (us) would be foolish.

Long term, well, that's anybodies guess and in the back of my mind there is a nagging fear so I'm ignoring that for now

Onward and upward, let's look forward to a bright and exciting future. Ryzom has always been a Saga to me and the Saga continues........
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM   #57
amisja

All I ask is...please don't make me go back to real life..its too scary for me out there!
amisja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM   #58
jarko

Like Snake said, its lottery here to and well if this week is my turn in it ill be happy to get you guys back gl to you guys
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:23 AM   #59
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefront

..........................And really, I've only scratched the surface. .

Guess you were caught up in the NGE Fiasco ? .....there is no comparison with sony to be found here
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #60
sprite

I think one of the main reasons the game has "someone" waiting to buy it instead of it just going under like Seed did is that its joint #1 on the http://www.mmorpg.com/ chart (and has been for a while). any company who was in the business of buying MMOs would most likely know whats going on with all the "top" games and seeing one of them suddenly come up for grabs for probably not much money (since the company is bust) would be a perfect opportunity.

I can only hope the person who does buy it gives a d*mn and works to improve the game and keep it #1
Remember kids, IOWIYAFOO!
sprite is offline   Reply With Quote