rundll32

Re: Check your inboxes people.

haha, yeah i thought u were being serious, gave me a good chuckle
rundll32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #33
soulsnatcher

OK well this is a fun one.

Donate money to this at your own peril. While ex employees mailing a player database at their old company opens up all sorts of legal cans of worms there are many things here that just don't add up. One shard? Same payments (this is not a "Ryzom will be free to play" deal)? So they want players to pay for a game that when it's busy they won't be able to log into as their one shard is full? Interesting, where do I sign up for that.

With the ongoing negotiations with multiple REAL companies still, er, ongoing and looking positive I would wonder how an ex member of staff without the kind of financial backing to run a full MMO properly and develop it further is going to compete with companies with financial clout and full business plans to present to the administrator. Some of the "facts" they represent on their site are also just wrong - I know this guy was fired months ago and so is probably a tad bitter but that stinks. As he is basing his "plan" on so many wrong facts, as opposed to other companies who are basing theirs on what is actually happening, I would suggest this is not something you would want to donate money to.

Is this a scam? No and yes. While of course someone is entitled to make an offer to buy a game, emailing a player database (the legalities of which are being examined now) and begging for money which will go in his pocket with no kind of guarantee or comeback to the players seems very dodgy to me. You should know that Nevrax has been verty protective of it's database, and this guy knew that, so the fact that he chose to "obtain" information somehow shows how much he "cares" for the players.

In my opinion any administrator is not going to look seriously at an offer like this (especially when the administration people and judge hear of such underhand tactics have been used to obtain information) when there are bigger and more professional outfits in discussions.

I would seriously warn anyone from pledging this guy money as his plans seem to benefit one person only (him) while everyone else is working towards giving the players a high level of service and a bright future for the game. This plan has a 99.99% chance of failing, and the 0.01% is not going to benefit you.

Souls
soulsnatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #34
rundll32

So much for that then
rundll32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #35
iphdrunk

With all due respect Souls,

* Is this "ex-employee" Xavier Antoviaque? could you confirm this? -- it strikes me to learn that he was fired months ago --

* what are the "wrong facts"? I guess you are not free to elaborate, but more insight?

* What is Jolt official position on this? as a company running and operating the Ryzom service, one could guess that in all these negotiations Jolt has something to say. I fail to see if your post refelcts your personal opinion (which you are of course, perfectly entitled to) or as head of support of a commercial company. Would it be factually wrong to assume that it is in Jolt's best interest to give no credibility to this announcement in order to keep the support contract with the possible buyer? (I am not againt that, btw), just looking at this from a high perspective. While I share most of your concerns, and I honestly think that your post seems to reflect that you care for us and you try to make sure that our money does not go into some sort of "scam", I can't but also consider your opinion coming from the head of support from Jolt and, dare I also say a bit biased?

* could you elaborate more on the "ongoing and looking positive"?

It is hard to see the clear picture without all the details (what's the chances of success, what do you mean by positive, who are the possible buyers, etc.) but one thing it was not highlighted enough... if (big if) the idea goes on, this seems to imply that the code (not only NeL) but the client /server, artworks, etc. will go open source. That's a big PLUS -- assuming the game stops as a service.

Nevertheless, I agree that I would consider this as "a last resort" just if the game was really going into oblivion, and I see a lot of pitfalls with the approach (5000 players? on a shard? without proper testing? how many months in a stalled state, waiting for the corresponding spring clean and no promises?)

The only nice point I see in this approach is that it is an opportunity to open the source and artworks for a significant less amount that its value, but only if there are no viable plans for continuity, but, it is also important to note, that ex-Nevrax employees will be using player raised money to buy Intellectula Property in order to supposedly put the code in a Free Sotware licence, but they did not state that they will not keep the copyright, etc. and ownership. In other words, players will not be co-owners of the code, neither it will be put in the public domain
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #36
borg9

Souls,

If this 'person' has my email and login, do they also have my address, credit card details etc?

I would be a little disturbed and unhappy if you answer yes to this.
borg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #37
mugendo

Well there is still the emergency plan of gathering at the local pub with dice and rulebooks...I have not DM'd a game for quite a while, but I am sure I can still create an adventure from notes on the back of a beermat .
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #38
aude03

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9
ryzom.org registered to this address

Bookshop the Swindler
Mr. Victor Fitoussi
6 (a) street Pache 75011 Paris France
Telephone: 33+ 01 43 79 99 70 Mall: [email protected]

The admin of the domain is registered to here...

The adress the domain is registered is a very nice rented appartment in paris

http://www.myhotelinparis.com/apartments/004.htm

Hehe...

for the non-french people : [email protected]....

arnakeur is a phonetics "translation" of arnaqueur, which means : swindler, cheater....
aude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #39
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiach
I tried that password and login ***** and ******* and they dont seem to work???? Are you sure thats correct, just asterix's (sp?)

I got nothing, but it could be a kami plot to shaft kara once and for all and not bring them on board (j/k, I'm Kami bw )

I think Acridiel's post, shows the support they can expect.

I for one would donate/pledge within reason to help in this endeavour

Uhm... post?
What post?

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #40
amisja

I got the same email...I am glad you questioned it because I would have believed it completely! My user name in game is very different than my log in here and different again to my email. Like I mentioned...I've got Ł62 in savings??
Love
Jayney
amisja is offline   Reply With Quote