Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM   #1
raynes

New stuff on the test server!

It seems they really are just continuing business as normal!

Some of the things on test:
Npc Bosses are back and an increase in ring entities!
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #2
rundll32

Re: New stuff on the test server!

Maybe all of this liquidation malarky was an overdue april fools, you know,

"Hey souls can u come up with something for april the first?"
Souls: "Sure, ill get on it soon (tm)".
rundll32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:30 PM   #3
praha

I applaud them for finally releasing most of these fixes. Way overdue on all accounts.

Had Nevrax been on top of their game, this "uberpatch" (by Nevrax standards) should have been released before Ring came out, and before the 15 day freebee to all inactive accounts. All the 15 day trial did was show that Nevrax was still following the "stay the course" business model. I have a feeling that a few more people might have been interested in sticking around (still probably not enough to get them out of thier bind).
praha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
kipestia

Location: exotic lands of Myst, Aquaria, Ryzom, and Phantasy Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by praha
I applaud them for finally releasing most of these fixes. Way overdue on all accounts.
Yeah, considering Aen had been in-game before, and two of the others had been in game at some point as well... overdue.

Quote:
Had Nevrax been on top of their game, this "uberpatch" (by Nevrax standards) should have been released before Ring came out, and before the 15 day freebee to all inactive accounts. All the 15 day trial did was show that Nevrax was still following the "stay the course" business model. I have a feeling that a few more people might have been interested in sticking around (still probably not enough to get them out of thier bind).
Not for me. Aen was in the game back when I played, and one of my guildies had a suit of the jungle armor that was very shexy. (especially in PR, where it appeared to be purple instead of pink. I forget the NPCs name)

I'm not sure what would make me come back to this game... I think if there were just SOMETHING in-game that gave you a sense that you were effecting something. Right now there's the XP/levels through the wide-branching skill-tree, crafting and harvesting are required to support that. and fame, which is another grind.

Your only creativity comes from picking colors and races for the crafted armor/weapons, and picking your PCs appearance at the start. oh, and role-playing, which has no effect on anything in-game. Sure, you can use RP so that another PC won't help you out of a bind... maybe you'll go to war. maybe it will cause an item shortage. but it's all dependant on the PCs you effect, which can easily be snuffed out with a person unsubscribing from the game.

one of these days I'd like an online game where I can say "yeah, I helped build the channel through the mountains and cleared out the Kitin there to secure it." (assuming there was more than one possible place to build a pass through the mountains, that there would be a possibility of failure, not just a scripted event where player involvement has no effect) or "yeah, I helped curb the invading Kitin so that they would swarm around the bloody Matis lands instead of our beloved jungle. and then they wiped out all of the smaller Matis cities. Heheheh." Not that a Matis city is that useful, what with them all crammed together. but imagine if it happened in the desert. if Dyron or Thesos fell, it would really cause problems. not being able to respawn in a safe place a on the other side of the map away from the capital. ah well, I guess it would be like the jungle then. :> we have all our bloody cities crammed together just like the Matis. :S
kipestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM   #5
xythus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipestia
Yeah, considering Aen had been in-game before, and two of the others had been in game at some point as well... overdue.

All 4 were in the game
They've redone the stats on the armour, redone the boss AI and what guards they have, added a minefield (o_O), etc

Quote:
one of these days I'd like an online game where I can say "yeah, I helped build the channel through the mountains and cleared out the Kitin there to secure it." (assuming there was more than one possible place to build a pass through the mountains, that there would be a possibility of failure, not just a scripted event where player involvement has no effect) or "yeah, I helped curb the invading Kitin so that they would swarm around the bloody Matis lands instead of our beloved jungle. and then they wiped out all of the smaller Matis cities. Heheheh." Not that a Matis city is that useful, what with them all crammed together. but imagine if it happened in the desert. if Dyron or Thesos fell, it would really cause problems. not being able to respawn in a safe place a on the other side of the map away from the capital. ah well, I guess it would be like the jungle then. :> we have all our bloody cities crammed together just like the Matis. :S

I helped make that temple in fairhaven
Makes me smile every time
xythus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM   #6
ummax

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
It seems they really are just continuing business as normal!

Some of the things on test:
Npc Bosses are back and an increase in ring entities!

hehe yes they can put their paws on it till the receiver takes over, but they can't do much else with it so they might as well still develop I suppose if they feel like it.

what this does say to me is that there is a reason for them to keep going ie: they probably have a buyer taking the thing over and so they want it to be working and stuff if this was not the case I doubt we would be even playing this game right now
ummax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:03 PM   #7
totnkopf

Quote:
at first, all four were really buggy and could be dragged all over, so guard for them were almost pointless. In game, yes... removed becuase of the way they were implemented.. yep. So simply claiming they were in game means nothing. Aen has been the only one that has worked decently, but it took them a while to get to that point.

Quote:
Not for me. Aen was in the game back when I played, and one of my guildies had a suit of the jungle armor that was very shexy. (especially in PR, where it appeared to be purple instead of pink. I forget the NPCs name)
Name of the NPC was Pei. And he was probably one of the easiest of the NPC bosses since you could practically cliff him. again, In game, but so buggy/exploitable they took it out.

Pra and I have a similar discussion a while back regarding the free 2 weeks. During the whole 2 free weeks, several older members returned to try out the game again. I don't think a single one of them tried the ring more than once (if at all). It wasn't what interested them in the game. Questions like "Is the encyclopedia done?", "ranged still messed up?", and "any new content?" were asked instead.

To me, there were other issues that could have been fixed first that would have boosted the return to Ryzom. If an email had been sent out that said "hey, we fixed ranged combat, added all the rewards to the encyc missions and plan on adding a few new sections a month/patch, and revamped the NPC bosses and put them back in game. We've also added Ryzom ring, a revolutionary new way to play a MMO. To celebrate rings release, we've given you 2 free weeks to come see the new Ryzom" I think a bunch more people would have returned. Instead, they returned to: Ryzom they chose to leave for various reasons + Ring.
totnkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #8
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by totnkopf
Questions like "Is the encyclopedia done?", "ranged still messed up?", and "any new content?" were asked instead.

To which the answer was 'Tons, the Ring'
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM   #9
martl

Quote:
Originally Posted by totnkopf
Name of the NPC was Pei. And he was probably one of the easiest of the NPC bosses since you could practically cliff him. again, In game, but so buggy/exploitable they took it out.
Was there today, cant be cliffed from above... you get a "too far away" message (in french ) couldnt be scratched weither, by a team of 8 or so =)
martl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl
Was there today, cant be cliffed from above... you get a "too far away" message (in french ) couldnt be scratched weither, by a team of 8 or so =)

Yup I helped at that, couldnt dent it with magic or daggers...

but on the bright side... my daggers were FAST !!!!
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote