Undecided not enough information 21 13.64%
Dont care 4 2.60%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #111
shrain

Re: free ryzom?

a good game needs a good team of tech support and designers/programmers
to keep it alive. of which none will work for free. In fact the servers in which
the game is running are also costing a lot.... point is, there is a reason why
all the good MMOs cost money to play them, and why the free ones look horid
and have too many issues.

I am also afraid many will request for it to be free regardless of the issues
because they are just too cheap or broke to pay for a game. So many will
whine untill they have more MMOs served to them free on a silver plater.
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #112
rundll32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrain
a good game needs a good team of tech support and designers/programmers
to keep it alive. of which none will work for free. In fact the servers in which
the game is running are also costing a lot.... point is, there is a reason why
all the good MMOs cost money to play them, and why the free ones look horid
and have too many issues.

I am also afraid many will request for it to be free regardless of the issues
because they are just too cheap or broke to pay for a game. So many will
whine untill they have more MMOs served to them free on a silver plater.

Please actually read some information on the project before posting complete twoddle. Not having a clue what your talking about makes your argument less persuasive.
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #113
mugendo

I admit I have not read the details of the offer presented for a 'free ryzom' , mostly because I do not have time to spend contemplating the business side of my entertainment source. I see there are people who feel that an 'informal' group cannot run a professional product...Of course a small group of folk do have limited resources, multiple needs to cater to, no track record......etc etc...everyone agrees the odds are stacked against such a venture.
But before I write off this project I remind myself of the competition they face......the professsional gaming establishment which is backed by multi million dollar investors, access to marketing in every format, developmet teams dedicated to coding/story/graphics/lore etc, Just look at Blizzard and their WOW marketing and product presentation to get the idea.
It really is a 'David and Goliath' battle when I look at this........then I remind myself that SWG had all the backing and bonus, and still failed...Therefore I am no longer surprised by events and what is possible in the games market.
It seems vision and hope still carry more credebility than money and status
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #114
tigrus

Mugendo.
SWG failed for ONE REASON and ONE reason only.

Raph Koster left it.

Raph was the only dev smart enough to work the code, since he wrote it.
/hi5 Raph The best dev ever
The rest of the dumbshits couldnt figure it out, so they had to trash it. Thereby screwing up the game.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #115
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrus
Mugendo.
SWG failed for ONE REASON and ONE reason only.

Raph Koster left it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember Ralphie removing game content that was in place BEFORE he left.....he was also not responsible for the switch and bait tactics of the marketing department, I also don't see him moderating the forum feedback, I also did not see his vision for a game to be more 'starwarsy' and 'kill, loot, rinse, repeat'......this is before we even speak about the ability of the coding team.....the guys that take all the flak for following the direction of the company. No Litte Tigger, you will see that SWG failed for a number of reasons......each reason wore a suit.

edit - you are correct that ralph had the vision, and losing him was a big loss.
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #116
norvic

SWG --->http://www.ryzom.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old December 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #117
nillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite
...I personally would honestly prefer Ryzom to be shutdown gracefully than pulled down by Xavier and his little plan.

I'm afraid I just have to agree with this statement.
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #118
tigrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't remember Ralphie removing game content that was in place BEFORE he left.....he was also not responsible for the switch and bait tactics of the marketing department, I also don't see him moderating the forum feedback, I also did not see his vision for a game to be more 'starwarsy' and 'kill, loot, rinse, repeat'......this is before we even speak about the ability of the coding team.....the guys that take all the flak for following the direction of the company. No Litte Tigger, you will see that SWG failed for a number of reasons......each reason wore a suit.

edit - you are correct that ralph had the vision, and losing him was a big loss.

I said the exact same thing as you did.
Raph Koster's vision for SWG wasnt a more iconic and starwarsy game. It was a Star Wars real life similator of a sort, and it was brilliant.

But when he left, they couldnt work with his coding. As they didnt fully understand it. (Since raph wrote it). So they made the CU to work instead. but the CU was crashing with the base code written by raph, and causing more bugs with each "fix". So they made the NGE.
This has all been admitted by the SWG devs.

Lets stop discussing that though, my point was.
I really hope this game doesnt end up like SWG.
Its a beautiful game. And if Xavier can keep it that way, great.
IF not, let it die with grace
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #119
ummax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillian
I'm afraid I just have to agree with this statement.

Based on how this is being dealt with and the lack of willingness to provide full information that people can browse at their own pace and at their leisure I tend to also agree. At first it was not my first choice, but I was supportive of the fact that if all else failed the code should be used in this manner. However after having attempted to try to eek out some information and have rational discussion with the supporters of the project I can safely say that doing this would be a huge dis service to the community as people would start contributing dollars and its my opinion based on the lack of professionalism and accessible information that these people would simply be flushing their money down the toilet. I can't honestly say I would even support the ryzom.org project any longer as even a last resort I think innocent parties would get hurt and be out of pocket for money.

So right now if a gaming company including sony doesn't get this game I dont think it should be considered a positive move for the code to be moved into the hands of this group in fact I think it would be a horrible mistake. It would probably be better just to liquidate the entire company and let the code and its concepts live in the minds and possibly hard drives of present owners as something they did that was good and leave it as that.
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #120
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrus
I really hope this game doesnt end up like SWG.

/agree

If SWG reverted to pre CU I still would not return as the credebility of sony is zero with me....that is the true failure of galaxies and sony as a company.

and comparisons are inevitable as there are a lot of nervous ex galaxy players here
Closed Thread