Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #71
bjarkov

Re: Dream dream dream dream dre-e-e-e-eam

I left newbie island a month ago but I have yet to see some kind of red thread through all this.
(okeh.. My friends started in all 4 corners of the world, I have a single quest in my log as I start, to look up a chest. I'm gonna try go this way, hmm.. level 50-59 gingo biting my ass, oh well..)

More information on 'why am I here?' 'Where am I going?' type questions would be great, i.e. quests, talkative NPCs and such. Being a newbie on main land is one big void zone as it is now, it discourages quite a lot of new players from continuing and it's a shame because it's really a great game once you meet someone to play with.
bjarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #72
mithur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiks
Being struck by mobs when you are not within melee range. I run from a Ragus, can barely see it in my "rear-view mirror", yet it can still hit me for 20% of my HP? This hardly seems reasonable.

That's a pretty good one. And a big bug. The gingos will be much less annoying if this bug is solved. And the speed-up ability mucho more useful (By now, if you use it with few HP, they hit you at least three times until they left combat. Usually kill you).
mithur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #73
sehracii

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithur
That's a pretty good one. And a big bug. The gingos will be much less annoying if this bug is solved. And the speed-up ability mucho more useful (By now, if you use it with few HP, they hit you at least three times until they left combat. Usually kill you).

It's not a bug persay, just a result of synchronization lag. The server sees you behind where you see yourself. If you ever have two computers running different charaacaters side by side you'll see just how long your actions actually take to happen.

I'm not very server saavy, but I don't see how changing the game code would get your input information to the server faster.
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #74
aardnebb

I'm pretty sure this isnt a bug, more of an issue with client-server lag. You (the player character) move on screen instantly, but in reality your move command is sent to the server, and _then_ you move. This is why stuff sometimes seems to... stutter (or stand still for for a few moments, then speed off incredibly fast). Your movement does seem to slow down when suffering prolonged lag, but sudden or irregular lag spikes seem to cause this effect the most.

With a 200ish ping I never get by stuff that "shoulda been out of range", but when its like 500-600 I do notice the odd such occurance.

On a related note, on my old PC I noticed that when a _lot_ of stuff was going on, your actions seemed to slow down along with the frames per second... (dont believe me? if you dont have a high end PC first try a bombheal one a single target standing alone... time it. Then fire a large bombnuke that has the exact same time taken in the info box at an OP battle into a crowded fight... sysinfo goes _slooow_ and your "next action" bar even slower!)
aardnebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #75
sluggo0

I agree with Zahan, and Sehraci -- the above isn't a bug. It's a consequence of the way that Ryzom handles player input.

It's well known that players with faster framerates (computers) run faster tahn those of us on older hardware.

That means that ryzom is written to favour the actions of the player versus where the server decides you are at any given time. It makes the gameplay very smooth and responsive, but does have such odd side effects.

The hit happened when your avatar's server position said it was next to the mob, there is time involved in it sending you the hit information, telling your toon to act hit, and updating your stats, in the meantime, you have sent to the server and processed on your client many movement updates, so the server then decides you're away from the mob unless it gives chase .

It's also a 'gift' from the devs, as you really did move where your PC says you did, so you only suffer one hit from the mob. if your avatar was where the server had calculated you to be, or waited for the next server update to update your client position, you'd be hit a lot more.

My problem with the system is that essentially, it's almost unfair to some players while being more than fair to others. Slower PC means the mob may catch you when movement rates are relatively similar, but I believe they cap the upper end on speed to avoid too much advantage either way.

They'd have to, or they couldn't stop a hacked client from moving faster than any other homin. Mind you, in MMOs you usually don't let half arsed hacked clients even connect, so this mitigates that problem a fair bit (they usually have checksums or various things on the files to say if your client is altered from what the right client is at connectoin time, which is also how they can self patch).

And yes, the mob 'speed run' is the server re-updating within a closer range to you (possibly some multiple of the far clipping plane away), all mobs' positions, based on where your client was rendering them at the time. You tend to cut down the transmission of data for entities further away, except in very gross terms, to cut your bandwidth footprint (otherwise, you'd flood out the clients' network stack).

In other MMOs, you experience the opposite problem, you may have heard of the term 'rubber banding', that's the opposite type of system, where the server is always in charge of the simultation, but you allow the client avatar to move about, when the server realises you've moved beyond an acceptible 'tolerence' in deviations, it moves you back, if your input is continously getting to the server very slow, say on a very slow network connection, your toon bounces back and forth a good deal.

I tried to explain this in as 'user friendly' of terms as I can, so there could be some liberties taken with technicalities . I didn't write the netcode for ryzom, and only gave advice to the coder that wrote netcode for the one MMO prototype I did, so I'm not an ultimate authority in this area, but have some knowledge, so take it with a grain of salt hehe.
sluggo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #76
marct

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
*looks at other thread*

I think a PvE server comes to mind... or a PvP server, to act like flypaper :P

EDIT:
Actually, seriously, I think there are irreconcilible differences between the two gamestyles now. A PvE/PvP server split - if accompanied by new player intake - would probably be a massively positive step.
Irreconcilible differences? Only if people are too stubborn to change, and I thought the whole thing about our community is that we are better than that.

Have you jumped off the deep end? Living a hardline is not a sustainable effort. At some point either you give some (any hardliner, not you specifically) or you break. Seems like you have broken.

Maybe it's time to move on GrimJim.
marct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #77
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by marct
Irreconcilible differences? Only if people are too stubborn to change, and I thought the whole thing about our community is that we are better than that.

Have you jumped off the deep end? Living a hardline is not a sustainable effort. At some point either you give some (any hardliner, not you specifically) or you break. Seems like you have broken.

Maybe it's time to move on GrimJim.

There has been compromise, forced and volountary, the problem is that it does tend to be one sided and the empowerment of one side is always at the expense of the other. Empowerment of one type over another continues to allow bad apples, whether small or large in number, to cause immense amounts of issues for the others.

It wouldn't even need to be coded differently, just identified, set up and maintained with a different ethic.

We'd still have a huge number of people who had left if we'd had that divide.

It just seems that you really can't 'cross the streams' without far more problems than you get benefits and seperating the two communities with their incompatible goals seems to be the best - if also the most conventional - way to deal with the problem.

Having them in the same 'world' only works if the one has no appreciable impact on the other but that seems to have been too hard to pull off, despite claims and promises to the contrary.

If you have a better solution, by all means suggest it.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #78
bluefve

==For==

* Start the story rolling again. Its staggering and slow to get large points across. We should be nearing the end of Aty's "begining" story.

* Open up the second planet! I read that we have only explored about 5% of Atys (back around release, so, given the current Old Lands and some outlands, lets bring it up to 10% current time? Not to mention that Jessica M. disclosing there are about 99 levels of PR. Open those too please?) and that the dev's hoped not to wait before Atys's story is finished before moving on to the 8 other planets.

* Introduce some of the other promised races! The Dark Matis and the Nomadic Fyros!

* New lands with unique environments! ie swamps, snowy mountains, oceans, etc with new mobs.

* Aquatic Mobs and diving.

* Advanced/Customizable Player housing please! (as well as allow us to invite people, have it "public", or soley "private".)

* More mounts! Beta has bodoc mounts!

* More armour and hairstyles.

* Terrain editing for R2.

* Redslayer's vision for anti-Spires and Outpost Tower components.

* Allow us to alter the age appearance of our characters.

* World Chat

* And overall massive bug fixing.

==Not For==

* Children (Children NPC yes, just not players)

* Jumping (This WILL be abused, sigh)

* Unregulated World Chat

* PvE + PvP servers. (Just add dedicated Notice Tags on toons)
bluefve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #79
kjsmith1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefve
* More mounts! Beta has bodoc mounts!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...870451&q=ryzom

I want that one! Bodocs are a good start but kinkoo would be more suited to my mount.....

WHAT! we are dreaming right....
kjsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #80
xzizoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsmith1
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...870451&q=ryzom

I want that one! Bodocs are a good start but kinkoo would be more suited to my mount.....

WHAT! we are dreaming right....

hahahahah When Kikoo is swimming that looks Damn Funny ,hahhaha

but would be cool to have such a mount

Lexius Shiras
United Atys Leader
The Craziest and Sexiest Zorai on Atys

***Noobish by Nature***
xzizoux is offline   Reply With Quote