Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 28th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #131
darkcred

Re: Dream dream dream dream dre-e-e-e-eam

Not having a jump feature is pure laziness.....not some grand design to keep players from bunnyhopping.....Here it is, put jumping in, but make every time you jump drain a bit of stamina......that would add realizm, my jumping ability i so want and keeps kiddies from somehow annoying the few folks that seem to have an issue with jumping.....
darkcred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #132
bluefve

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcred
Not having a jump feature is pure laziness.....not some grand design to keep players from bunnyhopping.....Here it is, put jumping in, but make every time you jump drain a bit of stamina......that would add realizm, my jumping ability i so want and keeps kiddies from somehow annoying the few folks that seem to have an issue with jumping.....

Why do you want a jump feature? It serves no purpose. Obstacles have a collision zone so you can't jump over them. It would be unrealistic to jump over animals or homins. Combat isn't "twitch" sensitive. There is no purpose for jumping other than being bunnies.

If you want the cosmetic effect of jump, do, "/alert". Or better yet, "/alert jumps into the air!".

I know this is a "dream" topic, but realistic dreams perhaps? At least in my opinion, next time you want someone to take you seriously, add some facts. Truth hurts. Sorry, but your post rings "bunny".
bluefve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #133
jared96

The game has no z-axis so it would be a major code rewrite. I remember when we'd take hits crossing the bridges in fyros from mobs below and I still get hit by attacks from mobs 60m above my head when underground. Such will eventually be required if rumor holds for access to the root system above atys.

I played LOTR beta for 10 minutes. After 6 peeps stoed in front of me hopping like crack crazed pogo stick fiends, I just uninstalled the game. My son is a big war game afficionado and I am amazed at the realism in thes games. That realism gets blow to hell however when some bozo charges a well placed opponent jumping up and down like he's at the end of a yo yo string.

Jumping over an obstacle is fine.....limit jumping to being triggered by a proximity detector near jumpable obstacles. And make it so that once combat is engaged, jumping is auto-death......OK I give ya one jump, 2nd gives 6k damage.
jared96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #134
darkcred

First off Jared, I am going to have to simply agree to dis-agree with you. I feel that a stamina cost to jumping would be perfectly acceptable, And personaly think it fairly silly that you would quit a game in 10 minutes due to people over using the jump feature, but I respect your opinion and accept it as such.

To the poster above Jared however.....Once again this community is showing us another beaming example of courtesy, tact, and wit....Is it your place to fault me for "dreaming" of a more complete realistic physics engine? And what facts exactly are you asking to be brought forth....considering this entire thread is based off the imagination of the players? Where my post, in your little world, reaked of bunny.....your post, in the real world, reaked of troll....

EDIT: And yes, my dream is to be able to fall and die, jump over a hill that is a foot tall instead of walking a distance to get around this 1 foot tall ridge....or to be able to jump in the water from 2 feet up, instead of having to find a beach.....And if you do not think this is a realistic request then you have not worked with anyone who has created, worked on, or modified a 3d engine.....look here in fact http://www.mtp-target.org/
the NeL engine at work in a fully 3d enviroment.......Wait....did I just produce a fact???
darkcred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #135
tigrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcred
First off Jared, I am going to have to simply agree to dis-agree with you. I feel that a stamina cost to jumping would be perfectly acceptable, And personaly think it fairly silly that you would quit a game in 10 minutes due to people over using the jump feature, but I respect your opinion and accept it as such.

To the poster above Jared however.....Once again this community is showing us another beaming example of courtesy, tact, and wit....Is it your place to fault me for "dreaming" of a more complete realistic physics engine? And what facts exactly are you asking to be brought forth....considering this entire thread is based off the imagination of the players? Where my post, in your little world, reaked of bunny.....your post, in the real world, reaked of troll....

EDIT: And yes, my dream is to be able to fall and die, jump over a hill that is a foot tall instead of walking a distance to get around this 1 foot tall ridge....or to be able to jump in the water from 2 feet up, instead of having to find a beach.....And if you do not think this is a realistic request then you have not worked with anyone who has created, worked on, or modified a 3d engine.....look here in fact http://www.mtp-target.org/
the NeL engine at work in a fully 3d enviroment.......Wait....did I just produce a fact???

I too like the jump feature in games. But i fear THIS is what would happen.
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060224.jpg

Sorry mate i gotta go with Jared on this one.
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #136
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared96

I played LOTR beta for 10 minutes. After 6 peeps stoed in front of me hopping like crack crazed pogo stick fiends, I just uninstalled the game. My son is a big war game afficionado and I am amazed at the realism in thes games. That realism gets blow to hell however when some bozo charges a well placed opponent jumping up and down like he's at the end of a yo yo string.

MMORPG code should always allow jumnping, It is frustrating to be blocked by a small 'obstacle'. I understand that there will always be folk who 'exploit' game coding...but removing or not implementing an essential feature because of the possibility of being exploited is wrong....I do not want 'bunny hoppers' directing the decisions and development of any game I play.
My wish is to jump over a small fence in Ryzom
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #137
moyaku

All I want jumping implemented for is jumping off cliffs into lakes ! I know it s kiddish but it would be hecka fun !
moyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #138
acridiel

Well, I have to agree that within a ceratin limit it would realy be nice not to bump into "invisible" things at times.
A stamina cost would be a nice and realistic Idea, maybe coupled with one of the fight skills for a "training" effect. Barehanded for example... (KungFU anyone )
For I´m sure someone who´s doing regular workout, could beat anyone who´s not in a jumping contest
So, at the beginning it would for example be 5 jumps in 5 minutes, and later maybe 10 in 5, or whatever... Just an example, no room for flameing here, move on please, nothing to see here, move on... *waves*

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #139
magick1

It is funny, until I tried other MMOs that had jumping, it never occured to me that Ryzom didn't have it, despite it being present in other games (an eccential part is say, Gothic).

Do I miss it in Ryzom, not really. It would be a nice feature to add, but I also fear the presence of "jumpatrons".
magick1 is offline   Reply With Quote