Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #1
troll16

Outpost - cats

Note : When answering this post please make sure you read all of it first.

Fighting over outposts can be good fun so the outpost idea is a good one.

However having cats as a reward of owning an outpost is not. I think that the cats are the cause of a lot of outpost arguments and the reason people feel it's unfair.

When Ryzom was PvE the old leveling speed was slow but acceptable. Most of my levels were without cats.

When PvP was introduced I did argue that the speed of leveling needed to be increased so that newer people would be able to join in on the PvP and feel that they were at least a bit effective.

I think that cats should be removed as a reward for owning an outpost and replaced with something that does not create an advantage to the leveling of a character but still is desirable to own.

Cats do cause an imbalance in the game, it's not a fair system it's not even a fair system within a guild that owns an outpost in the distribution of cats (although probably not intensionly).

What I would like to see is the removal of cats from the game, and an increase in the basic leveling rate, to the rate that it is as if every player is perminently on cats (double the basic leveling speed).

Also just so you don't think this is just a whine, I am Karavan and I do have access to cats as the guild I am in has an outpost.
troll16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
kyesmith

Re: Outpost - cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll16
Note : When answering this post please make sure you read all of it first.

Fighting over outposts can be good fun so the outpost idea is a good one.

However having cats as a reward of owning an outpost is not. I think that the cats are the cause of a lot of outpost arguments and the reason people feel it's unfair.

When Ryzom was PvE the old leveling speed was slow but acceptable. Most of my levels were without cats.

When PvP was introduced I did argue that the speed of leveling needed to be increased so that newer people would be able to join in on the PvP and feel that they were at least a bit effective.

I think that cats should be removed as a reward for owning an outpost and replaced with something that does not create an advantage to the leveling of a character but still is desirable to own.

Cats do cause an imbalance in the game, it's not a fair system it's not even a fair system within a guild that owns an outpost in the distribution of cats (although probably not intensionly).

What I would like to see is the removal of cats from the game, and an increase in the basic leveling rate, to the rate that it is as if every player is perminently on cats (double the basic leveling speed).

Also just so you don't think this is just a whine, I am Karavan and I do have access to cats as the guild I am in has an outpost.

Agree with everything, but i really dont think doubling the rate of lvling is a good idea, a slight increase maybe but doubling it seems a little to much.
For example on cho a gd friend of mine fasinia(fasinius on aris) has 14 masters (i think) in little over 3-4 months? Alot of that was done with cats, fair enough he grinded like mad to get those lvls but it show that if the lvling rate increased there is going to be people mastering everything in a matter of time, another thing is people who have lvled before the use of cats wouldnt be too pleased with everyone being able to lvl faster...

My thoughts, but cats realllllly need to go, and yes i am kami but i could fairly easilly have access to cats, i dont like the whole idea around them, not me moaning cos i dont have them ect
kyesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #3
mugendo

there is no need to increase the level xp, attempting to please the 'level chasers' will be the start of the problems....not the solution.
once something is 'given' to make the game simple/easier then the next demand/request/whine is only one forum post away.
Don't dumb the game down to please the impatient or short sighted players....educate them to get the most from the game system.
there are plenty of fast level/grind games to choose from...and Ryom does not need to become another to succeed.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #4
acridiel

Argeed with Mogedo and the Opener in part *points to keyesmith post*

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #5
fiach

I agree that cats are bad.

Once they brought cats into the game, it was like an admission that they got the grind rate wrong, actually as its a 2X ehnancement, they got it horribly wrong.

A better way of settling the grind problem would have been to maybe take off 10 or so levels from the top of the grind tree and maybe make it 240-ish.

I play Lineage, Archlord and Last Chaos, all pretty grindy games, but I do it for the armour/weapons/skills upgrades, but these are things that Ryzom lacks in any great variety, without going into to too much depth, I would put it like this.... I want shiny baubles and a variety of them as I progress, cats dont do it for me.

Think Diablo, keep it simple

Last edited by fiach : March 15th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #6
audrimas

About cats:

Player A plays 6h per day and have unlimited cats to gain every lvl with cats.
Player B plays 6h per day and have 5 stacks of cats per week.
Player C plays 1h per day and have 10 stacks per week.

Tell me how many "player A" we have on Arispotle?
For player B cats means nothing, he use weekly ration in few hours and 80% of his lvls are without cats.
For player C cats are good thing but he will never catch up with player B anyway.

Lets say we have player who know how game works and knows how to lvl up efficiently and newb who just came to game. Give cats to newb and no cats to older player and look who will lvl up faster.

Cats are good if you want to speed up your next same type mastery. Lets say i have sword 250 and i want to lvl axe. Its same boring grind, i wont learn anything new, i just need lvl 250, thats all. Then comes cats, so you can have more time to do other things than "same boring grind" again and again. I dont know how others but i dont have any fun to lvl up same skills 20x times. I better do some boss hunting, trek, pvp, exploring new lands or simply chat with friends.

I would agree on one new rule:
You must get one fighting skill to 250 to be able to use cats on fighting skills. Same for magic, craft and forage.

In that way everyone can learn game while lvling first mastery in branch and can speed up orher skills of same branch.
audrimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #7
kyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrimas
Tell me how many "player A" we have on Arispotle?

Lets say we have player who know how game works and knows how to lvl up efficiently and newb who just came to game. Give cats to newb and no cats to older player and look who will lvl up faster

6hours a day is alot of playing time, not alot would fit into that bracket, but as for unlimited cats i would say a fair percentage have that..

Give cats to "noobs" then how will they learn whats the best way to lvl?

There really just shouldnt be one rate of lvling for one play and another for someone else, maybe im wrong but i feel that altering the lvling speed as a reward for owning an outpost, which most people dont have to do alot to maintain is bad.
kyesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #8
vguerin

Just about the only thing that IMHO could replace the cats would be wondermats. If the cats in each OP's changed to production of wondermats that would hold high value without the same value. Wondermats while valuable would only allow more flexibility to crafters, we can all only use the same number of weapons we use now. Dappers are meaningless to a crafter, but wondermats would be nice on them days when you don't have much time and have a goal. Wondermats would be a better trade commodity as well.

I am not a cat-addict and never was, and I have always had access to as many as I have needed. Taking them away without a valuable replacement would surely make me question why myself and friends had so many sleepless/early/holiday hours standing in an outpost against a fake and/or actual attack. That time was very valuable and a suitable alternative equal to our investment would need to be found if a replacement is made in any fashion.
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9
audrimas

Quote:
Give cats to "noobs" then how will they learn whats the best way to lvl?

Isnt it what all guilds do now? I got 2 stacks of cats even without joining a guild, and twice tbh. First thing you get after joining is cats. At least it was for me when i came from Silan and joined guild. Even guilds without OP have some q50 cats for newbs.
audrimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #10
troll16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vguerin
I am not a cat-addict and never was, and I have always had access to as many as I have needed. Taking them away without a valuable replacement would surely make me question why myself and friends had so many sleepless/early/holiday hours standing in an outpost against a fake and/or actual attack. That time was very valuable and a suitable alternative equal to our investment would need to be found if a replacement is made in any fashion.

As I said in my first post there does need to be a desirable replacement to cats, that does not effect the leveling of a character.

After all if outposts were not desirable there would be no point in fighting over them.
troll16 is offline   Reply With Quote