Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #1
rodago

Future of Ryzom?

Hello!
I've recently discovered Ryzom, and I must admit, it seems like a great game! Right up my alley. I wish I had found it a long time ago. It has a lot of the game mechanics I tend to prefer, a friendly community, and the terrain looks spectacular. I'm downloading it now, and will try the trial tonight.
I do have a concern, though, and was wondering if I could get opinions of the community on this.
Looking around the site and the forums, it appears as if the game hasn't really had an update of any significance in a very long time. Is there a future in Ryzom? The timeline on the website hints at future major updates, but I haven't found anything in the rest of the site or forums that suggests that that might actually happen, and it appears that there hasn't even been a news update since last month. Are the devs still working on improving the game?
My concern stems from my previous MMO experiences. I played Horizons for a long time, but the updates, while significant when they came, were few and far between, and eventually fizzled out when it got bought out a second time. Then I switched to Vanguard when it launched. It started out great, then *it* got bought out, and there haven't been any significant updates since then. In fact, the few updates that there have been since it got bought out actually made things worse for me! So now I'm looking for a new home, and I stumbled on Ryzom.
I want to be part of a dynamic world that changes and get improved upon, but so far, I haven't had much luck! I love the look and feel of Ryzom (at least what I've seen of it so far), but I'm concerned that if I join up, I'll have already missed out on all of its exciting changes.
Any comments?

Thanks!
rodago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #2
acridiel

Re: Future of Ryzom?

Let´s just say we all share your concernes here
And most of us try to retain some hope that there will be som siginficant ubdates or new things in the future.
Sadly, nobody knows for sure, except thos higher up and they don´t tell. *sigh*
Some smaller things are on the verge of being implemented, but those won´t do anything for the games survival, I´m afraid.

But let me tell you, enjoy it while it lasts!
Don´t let worry get you down!
Try making a difference in this allready exiting world, and you will see it can be fun, even without whatever is planned for the future

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #3
twina

Well hi there and welcome to Ryzom

I am very new here - but will give my short-lived opinion.

I believe that Ryzom has a lot ahead of it - and that the community here can make the future of Ryzom what it will be - by adding their suggestions and opinions - and by playing their characters in a way that can shape the history of Atys.

As for now -I too have read the forums and hear much talk of new things to come. I can tell you that I have explored 1% of Atys and know hardly anything there is to know - you have so much to do and find out. I think by the time you realy have everything figured out and you are a "pro" - by then there is likely to be updates and other plans implemented.

That is just my opinion as a mere young Homin - but I can say - enjoy it - becuase it is a blast! the game mechanics and system of play is fantastic - and the community has a magic about it that makes you feel like you are part of a family - and this I have discovered in just under two weeks
twina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #4
katriell

Ryzom as it is now is certainly worth enjoying even if there weren't any imminent updates. Still, according to the Feedback forum, there'll probably be some interesting little improvements and changes soon.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #5
gix74

The problem with slow-update is not something that should bother you. As a new hommin, you still have a lot to do on Atys without the need of updates.
I read you played Horizons for a long time...well you will find a very nice crafting/harvesting system here in Ryzom and, if you want to push your harvesting/crafting skills to the top, you'll have to play at least for one years without the need of updates :-)

Cya in game

Gialla
gix74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
mugendo

Changes and Updates....that is a double edged sword when all aspects are considered.

I was a very happy and content starwars galaxies player for several years, Indeed I was a beta tester who was so impressed with the game world details...such as spectacular environments, great community spirit, awesome mechanics..etc.....
Well, after a period of 'stagnation' and limited updates There came A time that the developers saw a need to 'improve' and 'offer more to the players'.
So the great updates arrived...and 'improved' the game beyond recognition..so much that the community was dispersed, friendships were shattered...and the game died (Sony refusing to accept this reality does not alter this fact).
In summary I found myself looking for a new game environment to relax in..and over time I found myself here.
I have seen the game has flaws, the code can be tweaked, heck even 'obvious' features seem conspicuos in their absence.......
And I find I am one of the growing number of folk who realise that No improvement is worth sacrificing a community for.
So my advise to you as a new player....Enjoy the game environment and accept that it is the community that improves each day, An update that no company can give you.

And....Welcome to The Saga of Ryzom
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #7
calel

Hello rodago, and welcome to Atys.

I understand your concerns, especially when you have had to put up with what happened to Horizons; such a shame for a game that had such promise.

First off you need to understand Nevrax, the original developing company, was a small team that dared to dream to be different, but sadly lacked the timing, planning, direction, manpower and financial funds to fully release their dynamic gameworld. The game kept making losses and only managed to stay afloat due to it's original IP, ideas and gameplay, the community and customer support.
When Nevrax went bankrupt, GF took notice of the potential Ryzom had; both the already existing game/IP and the original developers. Both were kept and hopefully with GF's funding, will be here to stay for a while; so that the original vision can actually be brought to life.

In order to do so however they had to focus on making the game profitable. Which translates in aiming for survival in the long run and that means fixing and making solid core gamemechanics and adding new player 'content'/apeal over expanding for now.

Due to the original size of the team working on Ryzom, updates and fixes may seem slow compared to other games. I agree communication could be better on what is going on exactly, but the last few months must have put a heavy strain on the team. Things are slowly advancing as we speak, there's still hope.
calel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #8
gcaldani

Hello and welcome

as other said, things are slowly advancing but, believe me, you have found something that can let you busy for a long time just now. The actual content, the discovery of the world, the ecosystem, the lore and the community (not mentioning the skills you can level up) is huge for new players so, in meanwhile GF will be ready to develop further you'll have plenty of things to do. It's up to your initiative how to play in Atys. Live the planet, make friends and you'll find great fun moments here.
gcaldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #9
irukandji

This was a big concern of mine in the past month even to the point of uninstalling the game and setting it down for a few weeks. After I thought about it a bit, something I was told very early on in game hit me...you make what you want of this game. While I know I'd love to see some content additions, I can make this game as interesting as I want it to be. So I re-installed and plan to enjoy this game as long as it is here because it has the three things I CANNOT control: a second to none community (CSR's included), a beautiful and interesting setting, and, finally, the best skill system I have ever seen. All these things are up to me to utilize for my own enjoyment. I am and hope you will too.
irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #10
pluzoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
Changes and Updates....that is a double edged sword when all aspects are considered.

I was a very happy and content starwars galaxies player for several years, Indeed I was a beta tester who was so impressed with the game world details...such as spectacular environments, great community spirit, awesome mechanics..etc.....
Well, after a period of 'stagnation' and limited updates There came A time that the developers saw a need to 'improve' and 'offer more to the players'.
So the great updates arrived...and 'improved' the game beyond recognition..so much that the community was dispersed, friendships were shattered...and the game died (Sony refusing to accept this reality does not alter this fact).
In summary I found myself looking for a new game environment to relax in..and over time I found myself here.
I have seen the game has flaws, the code can be tweaked, heck even 'obvious' features seem conspicuos in their absence.......
And I find I am one of the growing number of folk who realise that No improvement is worth sacrificing a community for.
So my advise to you as a new player....Enjoy the game environment and accept that it is the community that improves each day, An update that no company can give you.

And....Welcome to The Saga of Ryzom

Right on the money, starwars galaxies was a game simular to this, with a great crafting system, 32 proffesions in totally to mix and match, a great social system. Then they made all crafting useless by giving uber loot from bosses, they got rid of the 32 proffesions and made them into 9. Infact the game is just a flawed and broken version of WoW, infact an insult to WoW really lol.
Why did SOE mess up so much?

Because the playerbase wanted it, or so they thought, too busy complaining about what is wrong with the game, not enjoying what was right with the game.

A flaw in most homins, we take things for granted, and only know what we had when its lost.
pluzoid is offline   Reply With Quote