Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
browserice

Question Astronomy/celestial questions about Atys

I was thinking about simulating the light system of Atys from the homin`s point of view (to do possible renderings/animations). But then, some questions started poping up.

Ok so an Atys day lasts 72 hours. But since the compass directions used in the game refer to the same system used on earth, I would imagine the sun going from East to West. Right ?

It would be cool seeing its effect live in game. I mean, tree shadows (or any kind of shadows) going from one direction to another in just 1 hour of play.

Also, I remembered at night seeing this big Saturn like planet:
- What's the name of that planet anyway ?

- Which direction is it moving ? East-West, North-South, ...

- I don't recall seing it moved alot in an Atys night. But is it always re-appearing at the same place each night starts or is it actualy always moving ?

- If it is always moving, I realized that Atys must be in orbit around it right ? After all, this planet seen so big, I would assume it is way much bigger then Atys. I am just wondering how much fast does it actualy go from one side of the ground to the other side and which direction.

- also, like the moon orbiting the sun, we do have lunar eclipse sometimes. Then should Atys get a Saturn eclipse too sometimes ?

- also, wouldn't it be cool to have somekind of Atys special activity that is centered around an Eclipse ? Like somehow causing everything to go totaly Amok or somekind of disaster ? After all, maybe an Atys eclipse happens once every 1000 years and causes great misfortune or disasters ?

Last edited by browserice : August 19th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.
browserice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
katriell

Re: Astronomy/celestial questions about Atys

Atys doesn't move in relation to the sun, or vice versa. Instead of rising and setting, the sun (if it can be called that...there has been speculation about what it might be) dims and becomes blueish at night.

There aren't any official names for the celestial bodies. Unless someone has a better idea, the large ringed planet can be called Shyl, the medium-sized orange one Drak, and the sun/luminary Lor.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
browserice

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriell
Atys doesn't move in relation to the sun, or vice versa. Instead of rising and setting, the sun (if it can be called that...there has been speculation about what it might be) dims and becomes blueish at night.

Are you saying it is always in the same position in the Atys sky when Homins look up ?

If so, that would mean that the other side of Atys would always be in night time. Atys's sun cannot cast its light on the whole planet at the same time.

Please explain. I may have mis-understood you.
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
katriell

Quote:
Are you saying it is always in the same position in the Atys sky when Homins look up ?
Yes.

For all we know, though, there might be another luminary on the other side of Atys.

EDIT: Here's one of the threads wherein this has been discussed: http://forums.ryzom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21568

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel

Last edited by katriell : August 19th, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
kuroari

yea we argued this a while too

personally as a fyros, Nightblade doesn't care so long as he can see where he's swinging his sword (and even then sometimes its not too important...)

i'll leave the philosphical techy stuff to other more educated homins!!

btw, *Very OOC* you can really make up a lot of what you want about the world of atys.. just make sure to stick to the basic guidelines set by the wonderful pioneer devs that have disappeared and you can make up anything you want! look around the forums and you can probably find Nightblade's story in many various posts. this includes everything from a confused / mysterious family history (he's part tryker and his granddaddy might have been responsible for the kitin invasion that destroyed atys years ago....)

Nightblade
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #6
beaut666

What were you going to do the animations in? flash? my wfie has a decent amount of knowledge of flash (shes a graphic designer).
It would be awesome to have a desktop application or a screen saver that went through the sky as though you were a homin on his/her back on a grassy hill somewhere..in real time...THAT would be cool.
There was a, application out there that worked on the desktop that showed real time updates of seasons, when theye were to end..stuff like that. Although you never heard it HERE hehe..
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
beaut666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #7
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by browserice

If so, that would mean that the other side of Atys would always be in night time. Atys's sun cannot cast its light on the whole planet at the same time.

Please explain. I may have mis-understood you.

Maybe we all live on a FLAT Atys. ?

As mentioned here there are many possibe explanations for our environment....we even have more than one deity
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #8
browserice

Talking Re: Astronomy/celestial questions about Atys

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaut666
What were you going to do the animations in? flash? my wfie has a decent amount of knowledge of flash (shes a graphic designer).
It would be awesome to have a desktop application or a screen saver that went through the sky as though you were a homin on his/her back on a grassy hill somewhere..in real time...THAT would be cool.
There was a, application out there that worked on the desktop that showed real time updates of seasons, when theye were to end..stuff like that. Although you never heard it HERE hehe..
Beau

No, I meant doing 3d renderings with 3d max. When I become pationate about something, I tend to want to explore it in a more realistic-closer-to-life point of view. So doing 3d rendering is how I go. I haven't done much rendering over the past 4 years, mainly because I was lacking time. I have tons of projects. I am even reponsible for the rendering of a 3d movie (5-10 min) based on the MOD Half-Life 1:Natural Selection, named Pre/Selection but I am lacking time and frankly, have done very little. My work situation has changed over the past 2 years for the worst. I am currently working on 12 hours shifts so image how much time that leaves me and on days off, I'm just too tired to do anything but to simply play games.

Just look at my signature to see a very brief sample of my 3d renderings. Those were about the Natural Selection game. Ryzom right now, is my current passion !!!