Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #21
iwojimmy

Re: Factionless does exist

There are people whose abilities or achievements I admire, with absolutely no desire to emulate their personalities, or lifestyles, or whatever.

It would be great to be able to fight like Mike Tyson, but the guys a psycho.
Most sporting 'celebrities' are actually crap role models. This may be envy speaking, but I think its more the media hype and frenzy creating impossible expectations then taking huge pleasure in "exclusively scooping" the human failings in the same people they elevated previously.

This is going offtopic though.

Getting a bit philosophical here, but Homins have the same "heritage" I guess you can call it, as the Karavan, of a technologically advanced race which travelled the stars and shaped planets to suit their desires. As I posted earlier, I beleive the Kami are the caretakers for the worlds created by the Karavan and thus in the wider universe part of the same polity.

Obviously I am only guessing here, but either the Goo, or the Dragon, or even the Kitin or some other factor interfered, and Atys is not working as designed, so things are being improvised, people (including the powers) are working at cross-purposes, and we have the situation that we do.

For practical uses, this worldview pushes me towards the Karavan, but I dont see Homins as subservient or inherently inferior to them. I do want what the Karavan represent - but I am not going to grovel to the sad vestiges lurking around the teleport altars for it. (Matisian conceit at its finest )

I could be completely and totally wrong, but I think everyone else is instead

actually, I wouldnt mind Mike Tysons lifestyle
iwojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #22
iceaxe68

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceaxe68
I'm bowing out of this discussion now.

OK, so I can't shut up.

I follow Jena, as have my ancestors etc. etc.

The Karavan people (?) are just about as scary to me as those big scary Zoraď. But they do offer some practical advantages to me, and at least claim to represent Jena, which is more than the Kami claim. So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not buying into the whole "Kamist homins are evil" business, and I can certainly sympathize with the folks who want nothing to do with the whole mess, seeing the conflict and trouble in which we find ourselves.

And so I recognize being "factionless" as a legitimate "non-philosophy" - as it is a rejection of two particular sets of ideas rather than an espousal of a specific set of ideas. Many of the factionless have their own sets of mores and philosophies, but I've not seen any large movements with shared and codified sets of beliefs or tenets.

So - at an individual level it's legit, but it's not a "group". It's an anti-group. It is the absence of "group".
iceaxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #23
jared96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxjosh
Let's take for example David Beckham. He's (let just all agree on this for the sake of this analogy) amazing at Soccer. So you either asipre to be like him or you hate the fact he's better than you. Same goes for the Kami/Kara, you either asipre to be like one of them, or you hate them. Or hate them both. (as asipring to be both would be hypocritical)

I don't understand why I must hate someone who is better at any given skill than me. Undoubtedly, I have skills where I am better than him. So we should then both hate each other ?

Why can't one aspire just to be the best that they can be ? I have mastered all HA skills, Azad has mastered all 2 H weapons. Do we hate each other ? Or do we work together cooperatively toward a common goal ? Which option leaves the world a better place ? Hating each other, we sending homins out into the world either armored and weaponless or armorless and weapon equipped. Working together we can better fight the kitin by sending peeps out armored and weapon equipped.
jared96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #24
mugendo

Quote:

............ but I've not seen any large movements with shared and codified sets of beliefs or tenets.

So - at an individual level it's legit, but it's not a "group". It's an anti-group. It is the absence of "group".

Contrary to common belief there is a group with shared beliefs and tenets....

How many times have faction alligned Homin used their 'God given' powers to rez a homin of the opposite Deity....or gosh...even those without 'spiritual guidance'.
Which invites the question.....where do the Factionless Homin gain their power from ?...surely not from Atys as that would make Homin more independent and self sufficient

How many times have the Loyal Kami/Karavan set aside their 'percieved' differences to share a moment of humour/generosity/tragedy.

Yes there is a common group we all belong to....HOMIN !
Of course there are the pretenders of Kami and Karavan who try to create the belief Homin are not united.....
Divide and rule is a maxim that comes to mind here
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #25
iceaxe68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo

How many times have faction alligned Homin used their 'God given' powers to rez a homin of the opposite Deity....or gosh...even those without 'spiritual guidance'. [...]
How many times have the Loyal Kami/Karavan set aside their 'percieved' differences to share a moment of humour/generosity/tragedy.

Absolutely right, Mugendo.

I do so every time I get the chance. Which is almost every day. ALL homins are equal and equally worthy in my eyes. I gladly team, share resources, craft for, or just randomly heal or help absolutely anyone. Even those I have recently fought in battle or will fight soon. Even those who have vanquished my side and taken from us an outpost.

I recently spent a fine evening teamed up to hunt with a member of a guild which had just taken my guild's 250 OP. Shared cats and mats, gained levels for us both, and generally had a great time. We had a lengthy discussion of our in character philosophical differences (while hunting together) and moved on to share conversation about RL things we had in common.

I believe this sort of behavior is the norm, and the bickering and hatefulness is simply the noisy minority being heard above the quiet majority.

And you are absolutely right that we are all Homins and share a common history, and a common fate.
iceaxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #26
meloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo

How many times have faction alligned Homin used their 'God given' powers to rez a homin of the opposite Deity....or gosh...even those without 'spiritual guidance'.
Which invites the question.....where do the Factionless Homin gain their power from ?...surely not from Atys as that would make Homin more independent and self sufficient

If you were speaking with irony in the last sentence, forgive me. But actually, you are quite right, Homins didn't "gain" their power. They are born with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara
(About the Kamis) They taught homins how to use magic.

"How to use" meaning they already have magical power but were unable to wield it. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out we have more magical power than the Kamis allowed us to find out ((GF >> *hint* *hint* new spells ? ))
meloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #27
viper579

Quote:
I believe this sort of behavior is the norm, and the bickering and hatefulness is simply the noisy minority being heard above the quiet majority.

kind of off-topic, but important

then the majority needs to speak up to, so the perception one gets isnt only from vocal minority.
viper579 is offline   Reply With Quote