Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Newcomer Welcome Board
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
tylertoo

Soloing in an MMO

I enjoyed reading this thread in the general forum, a debate about soloing vs joining a guild or groups:

http://forums.ryzom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30429

But I don't have rights to post there yet so here's my question: what is the point of soloing in an MMO? I don't ask this critically, I truly am just curious. If you want to solo exclusively, would it not be the same as a single player RPG like Oblivion?

Again, I am not trying to make a point. I'm a newb to MMOs in general and, as I said, am merely curious.

Is it that those who solo still partake in social parts of an MMO but hunt and quest on their own?
tylertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM   #2
ajsuk

Re: Soloing in an MMO

It's a mix of things really.

Some people may play as by your example, or sometimes people might just feel like being by themselves one minute and in a group the next.

I think it just comes down to peoples individual preferences. I like being able to do either depending on my mood and it's nice to still be able to progress in the same game no matter what I decide.
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM   #3
katriell

In most MMOs, I'd prefer to solo because many of the players in larger communities are...not worth interacting with. But in Ryzom, everyone is so friendly, coherent, and generally awesome that most of the group experiences I've had here have been pleasant.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #4
vguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo
Is it that those who solo still partake in social parts of an MMO but hunt and quest on their own?
I sort of play this way and always have... I have always enjoyed a great guild and many SoR friends but I just like to do my thing. I team up whenever I can do something gainfully with my friends, but usually don't commit unless I know I have time to be there awhile.

I don't dig nearly as much as before, but typically folks know I am a shout away and am probably digging or AFK. IG I am not into typing so much as I am in the many forums I take part in :P In a solo RPG you don't have the option of joining your friends when you have time...
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #5
beaut666

All depends on the group. I have some friends in game that I could just walk around with, exploring. Generally though, I find that most players I have come across want to go level more than explore. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not my style really.
Good thing is, every homin is pretty much a good player! Ask around, and you'll find that you have the choice of either soloing or grouping, both being fun.
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
beaut666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
johntf

It's about choice and free will, forcing someone to team is as restrictive as forcing them to solo. In an online world I should be free to choose my actions ingame without the mechanics dictating to me. (Within reason)
johntf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM   #7
jadakren

the point is this :

To reduce the amount of robot like mobs and make it seem real by introducing aspects of the game that are controlled by desires/forces that are not within the players understanding or control.

ie someone else is helping create a non-static enviroment for this solo player.
jadakren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM   #8
sapunkster

Some of the recent MMOs i've tried though make it to the point that soloing is the best way to gain exp. You aren't having to "share" any exp points and if it doesn't have a big increase to downtime (WoW for example) then even if you enjoy grouping its somewhat hard finding someone to group with you without some incentive (raids). Main reason I didn't like that game, I miss(ed) the grouping/social parts of MMOs.
sapunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM   #9
mugendo

I solo most of the time because I have very erratic playtimes....somtimes I login for only 30 minutes.
But Solo in activity does not mean being alone. I always have /tell conversations when digging, or talk with others in the immediate vicinity when I am crafting.
So don't confuse Solo with Lonely.

And one of the really nice features of Ryzom is the real bonus you get in a team.....for example, as a digger you can team with/as a careplanner to give real assistance.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:05 AM   #10
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
So don't confuse Solo with Lonely.

Alone is an unfortunate predicament, Lone is an aesthetic choice.

Batmanuel, Quote from "The Tick-Live Action Series"

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote