Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the the Universe chat be only for general talk and create a new "Help" chat ?
Yes 28 50.91%
NO 16 29.09%
I don't care 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #11
gcaldani

Re: Suggestion: split universe chat into general chat & help chat

Actually, the universe channel works only because we are a small community.

Have you any idea of what would be the effort to moderate a global channel with hundreds or thousand players? It would be really a crazy job.

So, I voted no.

I would see player-created (and moderated) channels or specialized channels (LFT, Trade).
gcaldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #12
memiki

If I remember so many years ago, when beta started there was a universe chat. Yes it was very restrictive, so restrictive they took it away because people didn't listen. We managed quite well with region, or tells, or team chat. Then they returned Uni, when you sign in (unless you decided you were special and didn't need to read anything that said warning, cause it surely did not mean you), there is a box with a warning about what Uni channel is for.

Unfortunately, people don't read nor listen. I have been in Uni, and when times have gotten quite beyond control, tho I have to disagree with beaut666, I believe the CSR team does a good job. I have seen them trying to maintain control, but as faedyne says the players say, well we have to talk somewhere and this is Uni channel. Another sign they did not read the first warning.
I don't mind a bit of chit chat after all it lets you know someone is out there besides you. Ryzom is a hugh area, you may not see anyone around. I guess to much chating tho, takes something away, as supposedly you are suppose to be playing a game. If you want to chat, go to a chat room or get on Skype, Vent, or TS.

I am not sure having a general channel for people to chat as there are always the few that think they own it and I have seen uni happen like that years ago, when some players think that everyone should listen just to them and that they are the life of the party with their stupid comments. It would be a nightmare for any control being maintained.

I think that Uni right now is not bad at all. There are times but it is usually straightened out. There are even a few players out there that try to help control it, but of course they get jumped on by the very people causing the trouble.
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #13
michielb

I'm the first to admid that I am one of the poeple who occasionally abuses uni for idle chatter mainly because not much is happening in other channels however I like to think that I also sometimes provide useful help in said channel. While it may seem like a good idea to split uni on two with one channel devoted to Q&A I fear it may not work out as people expect.

My prediction is that a "general uni" will be used for both chatter and questions and the "Q&A uni" will soon die due to lack of interest. As it stands uni is usually busy with people making it easier to ask a question, especially since it's clear by the chatter that people are actually paying attention to it.

IMHO it's a waste of time to add a (new) Q&A channel and while I agree that some moderation on the current uni wouldn't hurt policing it too fiercely will only kill it.

Of course if newbies start complaining they don't get answers on uni changes need to be made however it's, as far as I can tell, mostly older players that complain...
michielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #14
aimus

I think when people see others chatting and being jovial in a channel, it attracts more people to join in the conversation or ask questions.

When a newbie sees no commentary in a help channel nor any way to see how many people are "listening in", in my experience it's like asking a question to the great "void". That kind of feeling often stops people from asking in the first place. It's also one more empty channel that gives that impression of an empty world.

I haven't payed much attention to universal chat until about two weeks ago, and anytime a solid question was asked, others were more than happy to put their small conversation on hold and supply the person asking the question with an overabundance of solid answers. It was a perfect example of a good community.

At some point, the size of the game will dictate "one too many people trying to chat" at which point some solid moderation may be necessary, but at it's current status, I think it will only further segment the individuals and cut them off from the rest unnecessarily.
aimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #15
metalhead980

Chat in Uni actually bothers people?

Imo as long as the convos are civil and peoples questions are answered as they come im cool with some text that makes the Uni chat feel less dead.

Guys noone likes a dead game and an active Uni makes the game feel like its alive.
metalhead980 is offline   Reply With Quote