Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 18th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #1
meloner

programming events

Does anyone have a few pbs programming events ?? I do and it can be very annoying, there's one event I can't manage to sort out :

*Bad guy sets challenge to player*
*Player wins challenge*
*Bad guy is also rotten loser and sends his minions to attack you*

Those "minions" happen to be a bandit camp.

But when I program the camp to spawn after the bad guy says smthg like "Aaaarrgh kill him !" when I go in test mode, either the camp never spawns at all, or it spawns at beginning of scenario.....I've re edited the events dozens of times and can't find what's wrong (yes i went into "Properties" and cancelled the Autospawn) so I tried chosing a few Cut throats and grouping them : same problem.
I tried ungrouping them and programming each of them to spawn when the bad guy says his line...same problem grrrr !
I can't/don't want to use any trigger because :
-The timer might set off too late/too early depending on how long the player takes to finish his challenge
-The zone trigger is useless cause most of the time the player will just be standing still
-The User trigger, if I understand correctly is activated by adventure master right ? If so what happens if I'm not there ? does it mean the players can't continue scenario ?

Maybe it's just me who can't program properly (have some pity I've only started a few days ago ) but does it happen to any of u ? is my event programming too complex at this early stage of the beta ? (doubt it)
meloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #2
marct

Re: programming events

I have some event problems as well. Are you triggering off the boss being attacked? Or him dieing?

I'll try to throw your scenario together to see if I can get it to work.

Edit: So what is the challenge? Kill something or other?
marct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #3
marct

I threw something together quick. Similar to yours that I worked out. No story.

You spawn in. NPC standing next to Shooki. Lays down Challenge to kill Shooki. If you fail you pay him 50,000 dapper. If you win he will show you around his land.

You kill Shooki, he screams out, his guards come to kill you. I am triggering off of the Shooki dieing, and then triggering the cut throats off of the first step in his angry rant after the shooki dies. It seems to work.

If you want a shot at it, I can load it up and you can jump in.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #4
meloner

my scenario is : a guy captured prince Lykos, son of emperor Dexton. A npc is waiting to give instructions at beginning to player. then u walk to bad guy and zone trigger activates a dialog. *Blablablabla* bad guy sets challenge to player : kill his champion and Lykos goes free. once the bad guy says the words "Come forth !" the champion spawns, activating a small brag dialog like : "I'm the best ! I'm gonna kill you !" Player targets the champion, activating PvE. Player kills the champion. The death of the champion activates a dialog : "Nooooo ! kill him!" and this is where it all goes wrong : the end of the last dialog is supposed to activate the spawning of the bandit camp....
meloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #5
marct

Hmmm, my guys are visible, I'll have to try to set them not to spawn and see if I can trigger them spawning.

Have you tried just spawning them with maybe a user or zone trigger to identify if the problem is the dialog event or the spawn action?
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #6
marct

OK, I was able to do it 3 different ways. The way you describe worked. I used a boss spawner so that when the cahllenge was killed, the cutt throats camp spawned.

Last I tried without having the auto-spawn checkbox on and setting them to de-spawn when the scenario started, and then spawning them when needed again. All 3 worked.

Try downloading this file and trying it.

Lay down the challenge.r2

I think you should just be able to load that scenario using the client. It isn't pretty or anything.