Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1
raynes

Sitting around doing nothing. Why I can't continue to create.

I love the idea of the ring and being able to make content. There is a severe problem with it though. In order for anyone to be able to enjoy what I create I have to be logged in, in my scenario, and I have to invite them.

The result is that I have to sit in my scenario doing nothing for hours. I just can't see the point of creating scenarios and areas where the only way people can use them is if I sit around waiting for them. A ring announcement channel will help some, but even then, I will still have to sit around waiting.

Please make it a top priority to make it an option to publish scenarios (more than one) that remain online without the creator having to sit around in it.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
katriell

Re: Sitting around doing nothing. Why I can't continue to create.

I can hardly continue to create, due to NeL errors. =P

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #3
iphdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
Please make it a top priority to make it an option to publish scenarios (more than one) that remain online without the creator having to sit around in it.

That option is already planned, it's called "outlands" and you need to pay for them being hosted. Due to load on server players are currently allowed to one active scenario at a time. I've been hinted a possibility is masterless scenarios.

A big drawback imho. REduces the interest (at least for me), I'm still unsure I am willing to pay for my "shop" to be hosted while I play.
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
raynes

There should be an easy solution to this. I just published a test scenario, let it published, then switched characters. Sure enough the scenario was still listed in the ring terminal. The problem is that it still requires and invite and when I asked for an invite it said I wasn't online.

So either remove the invite requirement or have invite forwarding. Where you can publish the scenario, go to another character, play, and have invites forwared to the new character.
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #5
sidusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
I agree you should be able to publish a scenario without sitting in it yourself, and that you should be able to open it to everyone without needing to invite people, but I don't think more than one scenario would be a good idea. We'd run the risk of the ring terminals being flooded in scenarios after a while.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #6
Marjo
Community Liaison

We do understand the issue and are discussing a few possibilities to improve this. For example, through an option that would enable auto-invite or a system to advertise your scenario when it is launched in the terminals. However these discussions are at an early stage, nothing is confirmed yet.
Marjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #7
vguerin

It will be interesting to see if they prefer to try and make money by players providing content they haven't or are going to try and get your dime directly. If you're providing something keeping players interested, charging seems rediculous. Of course not all scenario's are created equal and don't all deserve hosting. Their choosing those scenario's will be the key to success IMHO.

I have and will not make scenario's but have checked out several and will test any if asked... I have no dog in the race, just my opinion...
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #8
raynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo
We do understand the issue and are discussing a few possibilities to improve this. For example, through an option that would enable auto-invite or a system to advertise your scenario when it is launched in the terminals. However these discussions are at an early stage, nothing is confirmed yet.

Good to hear that you are talking about addressing the issue. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix the problem. It's really the only major handicap the ring has.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #9
latius

This is a great point.

The creators of these scenarios are bringing content to Ryzom. Given the proper tools - and LATITUDE - we can create some very engaging storylines and events, making Ryzom a richer, more interesting environment. I'm pretty sure that's the point of the Ring.

Asking us to pay to host our scenarios is unacceptable. Not only are we applying our creative energies to Ryzom, making it a place that is more fun to be (without any reward), we may have to pay in order to share them with people? This is counter to the potential of the Ring, and in future years, it could be a discussion point as all of us gamers talk about why the Ring failed.
latius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #10
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by latius
Asking us to pay to host our scenarios is unacceptable. Not only are we applying our creative energies to Ryzom, making it a place that is more fun to be (without any reward), we may have to pay in order to share them with people? This is counter to the potential of the Ring, and in future years, it could be a discussion point as all of us gamers talk about why the Ring failed.

IIRC the hosting costs were to host seperate from your machine while you were offline to create things like guild towns on a more permanent/semi permanent basis.

We may get to the point where you can host a Masterless scenario and still pootle around in the 'real world' and that still shouldn't/wouldn't cost you anything.

IIRC.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote