Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #1
raynes

There seems to be some confusion over what Ryzom was meant to be...

I am tired of hearing people say that Ryzom was never meant to have pvp. That the intention of the person who created it meant for it to be a game where players help each other. Where the Kami and Karavan were not factions players were meant to take sides with.

I am going to set the record straight once and for all.

The Saga of Ryzom(Interview)
by Tom Bramwell Tom Bramwell
03/06/2004 09:19
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55680

Eurogamer: What would you say sets The Saga of Ryzom apart from something like EverQuest or Dark Age of Camelot?

David Cohen Corval: Although it has a few similarities, Ryzom has a very different character to those two games. Ryzom is really about a story and a world in motion, it's not a static world that you just visit and consume and then nothing more happens. The world is always evolving; it's not predictable like the world in EverQuest. It has a bit more in common with Dark Age of Camelot in the way the game pits realm against realm, but in Ryzom the story will play out differently on each server depending on the decisions the players make, the missions they take on and the alliances they make with the two powerful factions in the game: the technologically superior Karavan and the magic-using Kami.

The world of Ryzom keeps expanding, but it remains being about the same big plot: 'Who are the Kami and the Karavan?' And 'Who do you want to support?' You will have different kinds of missions and means, and little by little players will see that they are having a real impact on the story evolution and the shaping of the world.

Eurogamer: Will you consider making servers with specific provisions for PvP and so on?
David Cohen Corval: Yes there will be servers for PvP and for role-playing.

There you have it. Ryzom was never supposed to be about players ignoring the Kami and Karavan. It was never supposed to be about everyone fighting against the Kitin. It was not meant to be no pvp, or pvp only. It was intended to be about the players, the Kami, and the Karavan.

Last edited by raynes : October 10th, 2006 at 09:24 PM.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
ajsuk

Re: There seems to be some confusion over what Ryzom was meant to be...

*big grin*
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
ajsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #3
mindelyn

Though I have not yet participated in pvp...well willing yet that is. I have to admit, this is one of the best games I've played...and I've pretty muched played everything out there to date.

Thanks for the article...it was great to read =)
mindelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #4
grimjim

There's three versions.

The one envisioned during development.

The one launched, advertised and played to start with.

Where we are now.

You're equally misrepresenting. Perhaps the one a lot of us loved wasn't the original vision, but if anythings it's closer to it.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #5
ffxjosh

@ everyone who can't seem to get hold of it.

er. times change. stop living in the past

The First Homin to win the Shield of Presteige

Created theRyzom mooning and the Naughty Spriteh Videos

ffxjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #6
totnkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxjosh
@ everyone who can't seem to get hold of it.

er. times change. stop living in the past
yep yep.... heres to the future!
totnkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #7
raynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
There's three versions.
The one envisioned during development.
The one launched, advertised and played to start with.
Where we are now.
You're equally misrepresenting. Perhaps the one a lot of us loved wasn't the original vision, but if anythings it's closer to it.

In case you didn't notice the date on that interview it was March of 2004. The game launched in September of 2004. Those quotes are not was was envisioned during development. They are what DCC, the creator of the game, wanted it to become after launch, said 5 months before lauch. I'm not misreprestating anything. Those are the words to the man who created the game. To even imply they mean anything than what he said is twisting what Ryzom was meant to be and is.

You and others have been on this non-stop campaign to convince people that Ryzom was not meant to be about PvP. Not meant to be about the Kami vs. Karavan. Not to be about homins being in conflict with each other. And well I am tired of it.

Ryzom is not about being neutral. It's not about everyone joining together to fight the Kitin. It's not about no fighting between players. With every patch and new feature they have put into place it has been to get players to be more involved in the Kami vs. Karavan storyline. There never has been a change in the plan of development (in that aspect). As the quotes above show that was the intention of DCC and it has been the development path since launch.

Now if you can't accept that, it is your business. The fact remains that Ryzom IS about PvP. It IS about taking sides with the Kami or Karavan. It IS about the races fighting each other. Stop pushing Ryzom as some sort of Kum bi ya. it is not that, nor will it ever be.

I'm sorry but this attitude is exactly what drove me away from Ryzom last time. I will not let it happen again.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #8
tigrus

And the future will involve pvp. And il make sure of that until they remove my option for it
Tags on, red means dead....
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #9
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
Ryzom is not about being neutral. It's not about everyone joining together to fight the Kitin. It's not about no fighting between players. With every patch and new feature they have put into place it has been to get players to be more involved in the Kami vs. Karavan storyline. There never has been a change in the plan of development (in that aspect). As the quotes above show that was the intention of DCC and it has been the development path since launch.

So you say.

The game some of the rest of us were sold on was about the rebuilding of civilisation, not its destruction. The lore (as was, some appears to have been changed on the sly) didn't support national or factional war and only supported factional tension because of different ideologies.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #10
tigrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
So you say.

The game some of the rest of us were sold on was about the rebuilding of civilisation, not its destruction. The lore (as was, some appears to have been changed on the sly) didn't support national or factional war and only supported factional tension because of different ideologies.
Grim, you take every chance you have to lash out against pvp.
Guess what, you are PROVEN wrong. You keep saying that pvp wasnt supposed to be a part of the game. yet when its there before you you argue about it?

COME ON!!!
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote