Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #1
olepi

I guess this is goodbye

I really like SoR, and I have enjoyed the user community immensely. I would prefer to play the game, but my machine crashes every few hours when playing. I have played City of Heroes, City of Villains, Eve, Dark Age of Camelot, and even a few weeks of WoW, and the machine never crashes. Never. I played DAOC for a year, and CoH for two years on this same hardware. The number of crashes of those games could be counted on one hand.

I can also play CiV4, Oblivion, Rome Total War, NeverWinter Nights, GTA, Heroes of Might and Magic 3,4, and 5, Fable, Freelancer, Ghost Master, Sid Meier's Pirates, Half-Life 2, Star Wars KoTR, and more, all with no trouble. I use this machine for work sometimes, using a VPN into work with a VNC session, no problems.

I upgraded the drivers for my graphics card, updated the firmware of my router, and verified the Ryzom image, all to no avail.

It has come down to several crashes every night. Any night that I don't crash is rare. I cannot be counted on in a group: twice I rebooted at the OP fight. The game is fun, and I want to play, but I cannot stand the frustration.

Consider:
DAOC -- ok
CoH -- ok
Eve -- ok
WoW -- ok
CiV4 -- ok
Heroes of Might and Magic 3,4,5 -- ok
Star Wars KoTR -- ok
Half-Life 2 -- ok
Ghost Master -- ok
Rome Total War -- ok
Sid Meier's Pirates -- ok
NeverWinter Nights -- ok
Freelancer -- ok
Fable -- ok
Grand Theft Auto (3 flavors) -- ok
Oblivion -- ok
Morrowind -- ok
Saga of Ryzom -- BAD

So it is with a heavy heart that I say I will miss the game, and the extra good community.

Olepi

edit:
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb memory
ATI Radeon 9800
broadband connection
Windows XP
olepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #2
mugendo

Re: I guess this is goodbye

I would say give the patch a chance before making a final decision .....another weekend can't hurt can it ?

edit - ghost master is awesome is'nt it
edit - edit...Most folk forget sound drivers when they look for crash related problems (any little help I can offer is yours)
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #3
andypur1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepi
I upgraded the drivers for my graphics card, updated the firmware of my router, and verified the Ryzom image, all to no avail.

It has come down to several crashes every night. Any night that I don't crash is rare. I cannot be counted on in a group: twice I rebooted at the OP fight. The game is fun, and I want to play, but I cannot stand the frustration.

edit:
AMD Athlon 3200
1 gb memory
ATI Radeon 9800
broadband connection
Windows XP

I have a question before you give up. Have you run memtest (http://www.memtest.org) on the machine? Sounds to me like the problem maybe some slightly dodgy RAM. Ryzom really stresses the system and it maybe that the other programs just arn't pushing the memory hard enough to crash.

You should run memtest for quite a long time, preferably overnight. If there are ANY reported errors then that is probably the problem.
andypur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #4
sc30002

Olepi I had some of the same crashing problem's like you and it was becuase of the 9800 graphic's card, to fix the problem I had to play aroudn w/ different driver's and even a set of Omega driver's http://www.omegadrivers.net/

I would recommend to play around w/ some and also be sure you have the latest DirectX files installed. They were released on Oct. 10th

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
sc30002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #5
kibsword

Omega drivers = bad, especially with Ryzom.

Have you contacted the GMs about your probs?
kibsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #6
johntf

Sorry to hear this olepi, take care man >.<
johntf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #7
kostika

No game out there will tax your machine the way Ryzom does. So jsut because you can play those other things doesn't mean a single thing.

Check sound (too many voices makes me crash)
Check video drivers (like Kibs said, newer isn't always better)
Ask for help.

Some of us have been here for quite some time and have seen a selection of differant problems and errors. And if we can't help you then talk to the CSRs, cause they will be able to help you sort your problem usually.

Giving up with nothing but a spiteful comment doesn't make people want to listen to you. It will only suffice to annoy them. Even a new player will pick up on your negative attitude and take your comments less to heart. Listing other games to play, bad form and really only makes you look bad.
kostika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #8
johntf

I doubt its snarky I just think he's upset that he can't play a game he wants to, frustrated like he said.
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #9
kostika

Maybe spiteful would be a better word. I shall edit.

Even when frustrated, there are better ways to present yourself.
kostika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #10
johntf

spite‧ful  /ˈspaɪtfəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spahyt-fuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective full of spite or malice; showing spite; malicious; malevolent; venomous: a spiteful child.

No It wouldnt be a better choice, I see not one word in his post that is negative towards the community or the game itsself he simply state's that much to his frustration he cannot get the game to run on his system and he seems upset he couldn't take part and help out in our op battle on cho earlier today. I know him ingame and he is polite and kind I see little else to suggest otherwise here.