Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #1
reznick

Thoughts from Another New Member

I've just recently discovered Ryzom, seeking an alternative to WoW, and finding no refuge in EQ2 or the many other options available out there.

I am frankly stunned on how wonderful this game is. Of course, I was very confused when starting out. A bit disappointed that my hand wasn't held as much as other games do, where you are practically dragged by the nose through your first ten levels. If you let your mind expand a bit, you quickly learn that although Ryzom's functionality is very rich, you unpeel that richness one layer at a time, and you do that by self-discovery and something even more novel: the community. Ask a question. Get an answer. I can't believe the maturity of those in the game and in chat. I can appreciate why some members of the Ryzom community would be concerned about WoW defectors coming in and bringing that attitude with them, but those are the same reasons I've left WoW behind.

I suspect a part of this experience in Ryzom is the overall complexity of the skills (the variety is staggering), and the fact that you can develop in any direction that you want, as long as you have the time and patience to pursue it. The graphics are about the best of any MMORPG at the moment, considering the richness of the environments. Any game having an built in MP3 player makes my short list. Seriously, this was an amazing find.

Still, in scanning the forums, you see this is a game in transition. Being new, I don't see the issues with some of the new things that others might be having with the changes. I can relate to such changes, such as in DAoC when it launched Trials of Atlantis and completely messed the game up. It does make you wonder if Ryzom is running the risk of trying to appeal to more people, and in the process, lose its core supporters. Ryzom's game design is much more dependent upon a healthy community to sustain it, and the more players you lose, the more the game whithers away and sends more people packing.

I guess after all this, I am expressing concern by investing time in a game where its future isn't entirely clear. I've heard of financial challenges with the company, and I've heard little else about the game itself in the press. If you were not paying attention back in 2004 when the game launched, you would see little if any real news about Ryzom that might attract new players since then. I've tried to find "state of the game" articles about Ryzom, which you would assume would come out now with the Ring in place, but they are few and far between. How would the game be reviewed now in its current state? How can we regenerate a buzz about Ryzom? Just finding new videos on the internet of Ryzom is hard to do. I know in some ways, we want to protect the game from having too many noobs/leets, etc. but I think the design of Ryzom actually screens out those people. Ryzom requires more work to play, and I suspect the rewards are not in finding the ultimate drop, but building a strong character with great attributes who can enjoy the Ryzom world with others in the process. And I also suspect that there are a lot of people out there, like me, who really want an experience like this, but just don't know it exists.

Not sure where I am going with this. Just saying hello to everyone, and acknowledging that Ryzom seems to be a very special experience, and that as a new player coming into a game in transition, I hope that those who are the custodians of Ryzom have the tenacity, wisdom, and patience to keep this universe very alive and vibrant for years to come, and that ultimately, by putting the community first, it will perpetuate and grow. Ryzom doesn't need to become like WoW to be successful. It just needs more people to know it exists. Once they come, if the community is as supportive as I've already experienced, they will stay.

Anyway, thanks for your patience in reading all this, and I look forward to seeing you in game very soon...
reznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
d1sco123

Re: Thoughts from Another New Member

Nice to meet you Reznick. I too am a new player, and I can vouche for the community here. I love that it's like a family...we have fights, but it seems like we always make up and support each other in the end. So with that in mind, welcome to the family. ...umm, not the Mob... the Ryzom family. ...yeah.
d1sco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #3
sehracii

Welcome, Reznick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick
I know in some ways, we want to protect the game from having too many noobs/leets, etc. but I think the design of Ryzom actually screens out those people. Ryzom requires more work to play, and I suspect the rewards are not in finding the ultimate drop, but building a strong character with great attributes who can enjoy the Ryzom world with others in the process.

Ah, so new, and yet so wise! Very well put. I'm glad you're enjoying your stay so far.

I think you should try to put aside your concerns for a bit. There are many things going on lately that shine brightly on Ryzom's future. The start of the new server, Cho, seems to be doing well. There was a recent promotion to reinstate cancelled accounts for a couple weeks, and I think some of those people will stay on for a bit to enjoy new features such as the Ring and upcoming Kitin Lair. On top of all that, there seems to be a strong advertisiing campaign taking place online (check the Ryzom Banner Ads thread)

I see a steady stream of new players despite the new server opening, and I think we will for some time.

Look me up in-game anytime should you have questions, and I look forward to meeting you on Atys
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4
tigon

I'm also new... kinda. I played for a few weeks or so a few months ago but my computer was too crappy. I couldn't stand it anymore so had to put Ryzom one the shelf till I got a new computer. I finally got windows installed on my mac though so here I am again. :P

Anyways, my point was that I noticed from before that the community here is AWESOME. It's the best of all communities for games I've played, and I've played A LOT of MMORPGs! :P
tigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #5
acridiel

Rreznik... I want to have your baby!

99% agree

Welcome to Ryzom!

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #6
jamela

I'm pretty sure that Reznick has plenty of sense, but just in case ...
DON'T TOUCH ACRIDIEL!
You'll only engender hatred and jealousy throughout the rest of the community.

On a more serious note, welcome to Atys *hugs*

I wouldn't view this game as one in transition unless you happen to be a time-lapse photographer. Sorry Nevrax
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #7
mugendo

Welcome to Ryzom, the land that allows you to adventure with friends.
And the real grind is keeping a supply of coffee available.
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #8
vguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznick
Anyway, thanks for your patience in reading all this, and I look forward to seeing you in game very soon...
Well written post, and even the opposing sides you see politically and gameplaywise in the forums stand together when our IG lives are in peril due to kitin. We all want the game to be better for us, it seems only the dev's want to make it appeal to the masses :P
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #9
katriell

Quote:
Just finding new videos on the internet of Ryzom is hard to do.
http://ryzom-movies.de

Wonderful post. =)

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #10
johntf

Quote:
Originally Posted by katriell
http://ryzom-movies.de

Wonderful post. =)

Wonderful site with wonderfun ads for purchasing online gold with real life money (for wow but stil) :P
johntf is offline   Reply With Quote