Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #1
garand

Game Breaker...

Hi all

I am on day 6 of of an old account reactivation ( beta and a few moths after ).

First off I would like to thank all the folks at Ryzom for giving me the chance to play again for free. The world is still as pretty as I remember it. The noobie Island is great. Except for a few mission glitches and the learning curve its perfect. The community is informative, mature and helpfull.

The problem I have with the game is the combat system. Every (x) amount of fights ryzom will randomly kill you and there is nothing you can do about it. Example - Im a 42 mage. mob is 21-30. resist resist resist resist resist - dead. Rez. Same can be said for melee. miss dodge stunned hit stunned dead.

I love a hard game but feel I should only be punished if I make a mistake. Get unwanted aggro and die... my fault. fight at low health and die... my fault. fight too hard a lvl mob and die... my fault etc. Just randomly killing me is not fun in any game. Skill should determin my fate.

I loved the unforgiving nature of the old EQ... You messed up and died... you paid for it.

I will be finishing my 15 day trial to see what awaits me on the mainland but really don't think I can handle the randomness of the deaths.

Thank You
Garand
garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #2
d1sco123

Re: Game Breaker...

Out of curiosity, what is it about the deaths that makes them seem so random? Do you just kinda flop over, or do you get the chance to see your HPs dropping first? I'll admit there are times when it's hard to succeed, especially with some of the mobs (notably dogs for melee and plants for magic). I'd suggest "overcreditting," which you may or may not know about. I can't guarantee it'll work, but it seems like it does. Just give your action more credit points than option points, and you should see your resists and parries and such dropping pretty quickly. I hope this helps, if not I'd suggest getting a party together. Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on the mainland!
d1sco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #3
raven41

This will probably turn out as a long thread... Mostly with people disagreeing with you, But I for one think that there is a good possibility you are right, At least to an extent... I have had what seemed to me to be completely random super strong mobs ... Though I only tested my theory a little bit,I found that after you get rezzed and you fight the same exact mob again it dies much easier even if its back at full health... And thats the only reason I don't disagree with you

I find it extremely annoying when this happens to me and its the reason I usually solo brains lol.

I usually just count it as bad luck, Or get annoyed and log for awhile after the super mob tho lol.
raven41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #4
sehracii

I understand what you're complaining about, so I won't argue. But I'll just say I know it can be overcome with experience. If you truly learn your prey, you can hunt for hours solo without ever dying.
sehracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #5
raven41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehracii
If you truly learn your prey, you can hunt for hours solo without ever dying.

I can vouch for that, Longest solo session iv done (non stop) was 6 hours lol! and didn't die once... gotta love -Self heal- -Melee protection aura- -invulnerability- and ofcourse when all else fails -Speed boost-
raven41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #6
iwojimmy

I know the starter island doesnt lend itself to it, but teaming with a healer will avoid a lot of deaths.
and two mobs to be wary of are gingos, and kipees.. the Gingo Blind, and Kipee stun, make them disproportionately dangerous to solo.
iwojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #7
garand

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwojimmy
I know the starter island doesnt lend itself to it, but teaming with a healer will avoid a lot of deaths.
and two mobs to be wary of are gingos, and kipees.. the Gingo Blind, and Kipee stun, make them disproportionately dangerous to solo.

You hit the nail on the head... Kipee. So after 2 more deaths in a row. Resists then stun then death. I actually thought about how to fight kipee as a mage. My solution - Terrain advantage. Put several trees, croppings bushes etc between you and the target and force hime to take the long way to your location. Allows me to get 4 nukes off prior to being mauled. He resists to much he gets the sword.

Hope thats not an exploit.

Garand
garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #8
praha

Game Breaker?

The mage (assuming they have HP from working Melee) really starts to become a dmg dealer at about LvL 100 and even more so at LvL 125. The sub 100 LvL's are not as duo friendly as the latter 125 LvLs. Another thing you need to consider is the mob you are attacking. There are mobs out there that I will not even go near for XP due to certain characteristics (Mektoub, Javing, Kitin unless grouped 3 or more, etc). The fact that mobs are not cookie cutter mobs with different skins is one of the more interesting aspects of the game in my opinion.
praha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #9
katriell

I don't know how relevant this is, but my opinion on the potential/occasional difficulty of combat is that I like to be kept on my toes. I don't think I should be able to automatically and consistently "pwn" anything below my level. Trying to kill a scowling gingo with a level-22 Range Fight skill after having acheived 232 2-Handed Sword, I can die if I get a ragus add. Trekking through a level-50-100 region like Maiden Grove, I can die if I move too carelessly among the torbak packs. Trying to bomb-nuke a bunch of sub-50 gingos with a level-140 elemental spell can get me killed if they interrupt and blind me. All of this is wonderful.

Another way to think of it is that homins have the ability to self-heal, team with healers, cast affliction spells or team with someone who can, etc. Therefore it's not unreasonable that animals and kitins have their own abilities (such as gingo's blind or kipee's stun) to approach some equality.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #10
blaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand
The problem I have with the game is the combat system. Every (x) amount of fights ryzom will randomly kill you and there is nothing you can do about it. Example - Im a 42 mage. mob is 21-30. resist resist resist resist resist - dead. Rez. Same can be said for melee. miss dodge stunned hit stunned dead.
give us how you spell is made, because i tried kipee in silan with lvl 31 in offencive magic, casted from 31m, no resists, kipee was dead in 3 hits.
i repeated few times.... got few resists, but nothing like you describing.
blaah is offline   Reply With Quote