Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #1
kalto1

Is Ryzom for me?

Hi, I played the trial. I played about 6 hours and I reached the skill cap of 20 in magic and crafting. I wont continue playing without beeing able to improve,
so Im about to upgrade my account. Im at work right now, and Im still deciding if I should. I dont know much about the game, but ive been reading the forum
and asking on the universe channel (players were nice and answered almost all my questions).
But what I want to do now is explain what I like about games, and what I dislike. So maybe you, knowing more about the game, can tell me if you think i will like it.
What I like and disslike:
-I usually define myself as powerleveler. I love to make my char become powerful. I like to level often, i like a high level cap, and i like to get new skills often.
-I like complexe systems. I dont need easy to use interfaces, i like a lot of customization even if I have to spend hours figuring out how it works.
-I also get bored fast doing the same thing. I like beeing able to do different things. For example I can spend 8 hours playing, but I don't like a raid that lasts 4 hours.
-I like to be able to solo.
- I don't like all the players to be the same, skillwise.

Well, that's all I can think about now. The time I played, I think it is a great game. But I reached the max fast. And I don't know how the outside world is. So I would like some suggestions before I do activate my account. Community looked great btw. I never had my answers answered so fast and polite in any other game.

Thanks in advance
kalto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2
camlost2

Re: Is Ryzom for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalto1
What I like and disslike:
-I usually define myself as powerleveler. I love to make my char become powerful. I like to level often, i like a high level cap, and i like to get new skills often.
-I like complexe systems. I dont need easy to use interfaces, i like a lot of customization even if I have to spend hours figuring out how it works.
-I also get bored fast doing the same thing. I like beeing able to do different things. For example I can spend 8 hours playing, but I don't like a raid that lasts 4 hours.

Think you've come to the right place

As the combat skills are relatively easy to level, you might find yourself maxing them out soon. Fortunately there are quite a few of them.
camlost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #3
borg9

Based on your likes/dislikes my only concern is the solo point. A duo/team is the most effective way to play. Solo is posible but has a huge learning curve and frustration factor that goes with it.

Other than the solo point Ryzom matches your likes almost exactly.

From experience Ryzom is a game to be played with company.

edit - go go Beren!
borg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
acridiel

/seconded

Soloing is hard, but you may see it as a challange to rise to.
It is definetly possible but it demands lots of patience and free time.
Sneaking is a skill best learned by the player, because it´s not always possible to beat all mobs, sometimes you´d have to sneak by one to get to another you can solo. (And there is no Gameskill called sneak, you will have to know how to get by.)
Taunting is absolutely necessary as do avoid being rushed by social MOBs.
Self heal is a must, but keeps you inactice for an amount of time while it recharges. At least while fighting.

You can easily switch from Melee to Magic, to forage, to craft on the plus side, so boredom will ony come if you loose yourself too much in the grind on one skill. Change your pace, change the skill you want to "powerlevel" maybe more often then you´re used to, then it should not be a problem

CU
Acridiel

Last edited by acridiel : November 14th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #5
kalto1

Well, it's ok if it is not worth to solo to max lvl ( as long as it is easy to find teams). But I like to know I can solo something if I want to.

So, is finding teams hard. I don't think there is any group finder system ingame right?
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
rushin

to be clear you cant solo every mob. at all. There are things 100 levels lower than me that put up a very good fight still, so you need to be able to pick your targets and find an optimal way to fight, not just smacking things with your best stanza's.

cant comment if it's your game as a powerleveler - that is the exact opposite of how i play
rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #7
acridiel

Finding groups is as hard as hollering in region chat and asking if someone wants to go hunting.
Of course it´s far easier still if you´re in a good guild

And what Rushin said is true in sense too. You will have to pick your targets, it´s all a question of experience and Player skill.
Customize stanzas and wapons for use with different MOBs.

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #8
kalto1

Thanks a lot for your opinions, the community is really great

Ill still think about it until I get home. Right now Im playing wow, and i love it, but after 2 years I need something different, so possibly I will activate my account today.

I also played 2 years of Anarchy Online, which was great. thats the variety I like
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #9
sofiaoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalto1
Seem to be right place, a lot of different stuff to level.

Quote:
I think the system is complex enough for many situation, example ability adjust You actions.

Quote:
Same thing is what You do in Ryzom. Grid after grid. But in other hand that same situation is in all MMOGs today.

Quote:
Soloing is possible, but Ryzom is not solo friendly game.

Quote:
I would call this to be more like medium degree. Mostly because You have a lot of different skill possiblities, but many player characters will in the end be little same.

In the end, I would say. I think You could like Ryzom, it has enough variety, but could have more. Game is not the most easyest game to learn and it's alot of about leveling. I would recomended to try it.
sofiaoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #10
katriell

There is nearly infinite grinding to be done if one chooses to, and if you're focused on powerleveling and grind-achievement but don't want to do the same thing all the time, to be honest I think you're going to run into trouble. That is a paradox that may bring you back here in a while complaining of boredom.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote