Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #1
borg9

Kitin Lairs

The next big thing we are told is kitin lairs.

My guess based on the lead in event with the rangers helping Elias reach an entrance to the deeper roots that, there will be a connection of all these things when its released.

How do the 'true' Karavan players feel about being excluded from this new content?

Why would a 'true' Karavan help a neutral guild closely associated with The Guild of Elias, the Rangers?

--- edited for clarity (at IPH drunks bequest)
Why would a 'true' Karavan, who has proclamed that its ok to goto the prime roots to forage, because the laws of Jena refer to the deeper roots, go there?
(IE old lore says don't go to PR, opps edit lore to allow Karavan to get sups, KL comes, opps edit lore to allow Karavan to go there)

(Or will the lore change again? Or will we find that the Kitin lair, that has been so hard to find, is actually just through a tunnel or portal in each land.)

//discuss

(The point here is the lore is an ideal which the player can sacrifice to play any content they choose. Neutrals don't get that choice :P)

Last edited by borg9 : November 15th, 2006 at 04:35 PM.
borg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #2
iphdrunk

Re: Kitin Lairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9
How do the 'true' Karavan players feel about being excluded from this new content?

Good point, but this applies only if, as you say, it is indeed the entry to the "deeper" roots. In that case, one could guess that we may get an official event giving us a (half-baked?) explanation or "footnote" to actually allow Karavan players to enter, in a similar way to when the event NPC Matis Karavaneer (Kudsomething was his name?) that explained and detailed the terms of the prohibition, in that "chase the bad guy" event, if memory serves well. When I created an alt a long ago, pre-Silan, there used to be a tryker trainer that also talked about these "deeper" roots.

Quote:
Why would a 'true' Karavan help a neutral guild closely associated with The Guild of Elias, the Rangers?

This is something that got me puzzled too... how could Guild of Elias members appear in "public" and get Karavan "support"?. As far as I know, Elias is a traitor -- at least to the eyes of Karavaneers? -- , and his guildies should be prosecuted and banned. This is, to me, a hole in the lore or the way it is explained? (personal remark: with time, I don't have high hopes about the coherence and consistence of the lore anymore , it has changed and been adapted a few times... it used to make me think that it was being "unfolded" a bit.... real time, now I take it a bit more open-minded and simply adapt. A loooong time ago, 2 years? I wanted to roleplay a member of / believer in Elias, hidden in a Karavaneer alter-ego. I changed my mind due to the lack of (neutral?) presence in game)

Quote:
Why would a 'true' Karavan, who has proclamed that its ok to goto the prime roots to forage, because the laws of Jena refer to the deeper roots go there?

I don't get this point. As far as I know, we were allowed to go into the "first" layers of the Prime roots and the prohibition applies to the deeper roots. If I am not mistaken, it was not specified the activities that we are allowed to do there. E.g. chase a spy, kill kitin, scort, forage...What do you mean?

Quote:
(Or will the lore change again? Or will we find that the Kitin lair, that has been so hard to find, is actually just through a tunnel or portal in each land.)

Probably. Maybe it will be adapted. It seems unreasonable to me that a few players are left out of the lair due to them sticking to the law. Maybe access to the Kitin Lair is a "portal" -- which still leaves the question open of where it is placed.... a protal in each land? dumb kitin.... --
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3
raven41

*tries not to reply*....

lol... Ofcourse it will be ok even if its the deeper roots! ... Just because Jenas law says not to go there doesn't mean they can't go there And if the lore must be twisted it will be ofcourse! People do it all the time

(P.S. Don't take this post too seriously )

*Waves to Anissa*
raven41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
rellis

''As suggested by the name, the Kitins Lair is a **closed** underground area full of Kitins of different kinds, sizes and strengths. Let me warn you right now, Homins are quite unwelcome here, this is a dangerous area and the Kitins bite hard! The size of the whole lair is roughly equivalent to the size of a small region of the Atys mainlands. The lair is composed of several tunnels and rooms, each having an important place in the lair organisation. Here, it may be possible to witness how Kitins organise themselves, behave, and protect themselves, which could satisfy any curious Homin or Ranger’s apprentice.''--description from the Roadmap

Im reckoning the layers will be made using the Ring, which will allow a certain amount of people in at a time, kind of like 'the lost village' event around Slaughter week which was invite only. So there will be no suddenly appearing portals, access could be through the terminal

Perhaps the lore will be somewhere along the lines of the divine forces porting Homins into the Lair as a counter-attack for all the recent invasions (well infrequent and not so recent invasions)

So i guess a direct order by the Divine Jena is above the law?

*shrugs* just my two dappers

{{edit- wasnt sure antecedent was appropriate word, liked sound of it tho. }}
rellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
raven41

If you Karas acually get a direct order from Jena herself, I might go Kara ... lol ... But Im betting it will only be the greedy little sevants like the ones around the Kara TPs that will tell you to go

(once again this a mostly joking post ) (and strangly enough somewhat IC )
raven41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
danolt

In the old lore both the Kami and the Karavan worshiped Jena. If it is as you argue an edict from Jena, that bans PR access, neither group should have gone down to the PR according to the old lore and I don't ever recall hearing anything like that.

Jena's commandments have not changed. There is nothing in the Karavan lore that bans prime root access, never has been. The Kami and 'neutrals' opposed to the Karavan have been pushing this myth.

The actual commandment:

"You shall not descend into the bowels of Atys lest the holy light leaves your heart, and the Dragon's darkness devours your soul"

Read it again, it is not so much a commandment as it is a warning. However the term "Bowels" is open to interpretation. I think "bowels" means the original underground of Atys, pre roots, pre experiment.

As far as old lore goes, I do recall Ma-Duk being called the great deceiver and manipulator. I have often wondered if Ma-Duk has gained control of the Kami collective and just changed history. I am pretty sure he would call himself neutral too.

Pero
danolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #7
XoloX

I didn't want to mingle in here.. but now I simply can't resist. Forgive my smartassness
Quote:
Originally Posted by danolt
"You shall not descend into the bowels of Atys lest the holy light leaves your heart, and the Dragon's darkness devours your soul"

Read it again, it is not so much a commandment as it is a warning.
So if "You shall not descend into the bowels of Atys [...]" is a warning, is that applied to "You shall not murder." as well?
If it's called a commandment, its significance is selfdeclared. It cannot be a warning only.
XoloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #8
danolt

One of your phrases has a period at the end of it, in the other you edited out the qualifying verb. One of your examples is an imperative. The other, if quoted correctly, is an if-then statement.

The if-then is very harsh and inflexible but it is not an imperative.

Pero
danolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #9
vguerin

The rewriting of our lore is troublesome. I stick with the original "do not go into the deep roots in search of the dragon" version for my character. These rewritings keep getting dumbed down because they are translations of the french version, the nuances can be changed by the translator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flanagan Files
As for the Dragon, he took refuge in the dark bowels of Atys where he now slumbers. The homins are forbidden to descend underground in quest of the dragon's lair for fear of stirring its wrath.

The kitins are regrouping and we must act, nothing suggests they are guarding the lair of the dragon... they are prime targets for all homins.
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #10
XoloX

OK... let's take the omitted part back into account, Pero.
And let's not forget that it's a commandment, while we're at it, thus it cannot be questioned by the believers of Jena

"Lest" has the same meaning as "so that not".
That'd mean , without any if-then-clause, that all 'true' followers of Jena (to return to that phrasing of the OP) who have been in the "bowels of Atys" have already lost their "holy light" and are "devoured by the Dragon's darkness". Righty?
Not that my main char, as a follower of the Kami (not necessarily Ma-Duk!), would be surprised to hear that, though. *grins widely*

The only thing open for debate is the interpretation of what is meant by "bowels of Atys", exactly. While older writings in the libraries of our towns really do suggest that any part of the roots are what's meant, cornering back to another question as of why there are Karavan teleporters "down there" at all, which in return might be answered by the goal of "Guarding the secret of their origin.." and the statement that "Homin curiosity about their past could lead Homins to doubt the goals of the Karavan" as contained within the Flanagan Files. I'll leave the consequential assumptions of "non-believers" open here

You asked for it *snickers*
XoloX is offline   Reply With Quote