Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 21st, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
fiach

Where would [i]you[/i] go....

....If Ryzom closed?

I've tried an awful lot of MMO's and tbh, there isn't much out there, definately nothing like Ryzom. I'll only deal with games that are already released.

Please add to the list or comment as you see fit

WoW....OK you either love/hate it, in all fairness its a good game, I just happen to fall on the hate side, without too mush detail, suffice to say community, gfx, gameplay.

Lineage....Getting on a bit, an excellent game IMO, but too much PvP to suit denizens of Atys, but its in its 5th Chronicle (I think) now, so starting to burn out.

Archlord....I saw in PC Zone it got 80% and Recommended status, had a big LOL at that, the most unfinished PoS I ever had the misfortune to play, It even outgrinds Lineage

SWG....Its had its ups and downs, the subject matter never really appealed to me, but it was pretty good, even the NGE isn't that bad (for new players), again though, nearing the end of its shelf life.

EQ2.....Y'know, If SOE did buy out Ryzom, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, they have the Station Sony, where you can play all their games for a much reduced fee (approx 25 bucks a month), EQ2 would be my next choice if Ryzom were to close, it has lots of stuff going for it, Player Housing, Crafts, some pretty cool classes too.

City of X....These are really good fun, but they are as shallow as phuq, you just keep doing the same instances over and over. Some really cool classes. you can fly, jump, teleport. A battle in an instance is an amazing light show. Not enough depth for a Ryzom player though. With only 40 levels (was anyway), its not enough for you guys to sink your teeth into.

Cabal Online....One of the most pointless exercises in MMO Gaming, the GFX are more cartoony than WoW and no huge open maps like Ryzom, just pokey little fields.

EvE....going from strength to strength apparently, too settled now IMO for new players, the economy is already dominated , a good game, but would you be able to settle there now?

Matrix.....Nope, PoS, the only bad thing about Station Sony is you can also play MxO.

Dungeons and Dragons......This is really disappointing, you run the same instances over and over again, it takes all the good stuff about D&D and chucks it out the window and just keeps the combat, but no new quests, just the same old treadmill taking place in one city, so no exploration, crafting etc.

Final Fantasy....Too long in the tooth a major grind fest and a really sucky control system, only for mutants with 4 hands.

Anyway, glad to be here, glad to stay here in Ryzom.
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM   #2
acridiel

Re: Where would [i]you[/i] go....

Just to complete the list:

Age of Conan and Warhammer WAR come to mind.

Dunno what´d make them special appart from their licenses though... *sigh*

*holds on to the nearest huge Kipees leg* You won´t get me of this Planet!!

Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
fiach

Well I was only talking about games that are available, but feel free to make your own list

Neither of those look appealing to me, good job kipees have more than one leg, move over
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
karthago

I'm not sure where I would go...probably to SWG, but that NGE (I think thats what its called, that newest content update) bombed it from what used to be a good game. Although I never really gave it a chance but I didnt like what it turned into.
karthago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:08 PM   #5
klaelfr

i suppose i may go back to wow *cries*
klaelfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM   #6
nephy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by acridiel
Just to complete the list:

Age of Conan and Warhammer WAR come to mind.

Dunno what´d make them special appart from their licenses though... *sigh*
Yeah, the list was only for existant games. Vapourware is not terribly useful to us should Ryzom (Gods forbid) cough up its last yubo-ball.

I'll add AutoAssault to the list though. It is great in that it is all open-world play like Ryzom (mini-instances exist, but aren't too important) and involves more player skill than most games (Since you are constantly moving, have front-firing weapons and the ability to ram other people). It also really appealed to me as an old Car Wars (an old board/wargame) and Interstate '76/Carmageddon player - at last I could run over pedestrians in my big-rig and watch blood splatter everywhere (Blood in an MMORPG? Shocking!). Sadly, it is balanced such that grouping before the endgame is extremely counterproductive, so as someone who isn't into the endless solo-grind it lacked something for me.

Frankly though, I can't see a reason to leave Ryzom before the absolute moment
it goes offline. I'm staying because I enjoy playing the game and I hope many more people will do the same. Anyway, only by staying do we prove to any potential new owners of the Ryzom game that there are commited players...If we leave now then Ryzom is bound to fold.
nephy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
xzizoux

[quote=fiach]....If Ryzom closed?

When Ryzom really closed then my Online Life is Over...i would never play any Online Games anymore,ryzom is the Only one for me and the Best i ever saw and i stay here so long i can ,nobody get me out of here,only if they Kick me and close my Account,but i dun go from alone.... 4Ever i stay,4EVER

Lexius Shiras
United Atys Leader
The Craziest and Sexiest Zorai on Atys

***Noobis by Nature***
xzizoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM   #8
grimjim

This is premature.

I don't see much out there that appeals, at all really.

All far too PvP oriented for me.

If AoC has PvE servers, then maybe, but not ready to give up on Ryzom yet. Let's see who these buyers might be.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:41 PM   #9
clyne
Registered Player

Well I was playing EVE online when I bought over this account here in Ryzom which was originally my cousin's and diversified my play time with both these games. Around last month I had unsubscribed from EVE Online, and here my play time greatly occupied with R2 - I became a very casual player. So whatever the outcome maybe I would continue to have a monthly subscription running whether I play another game or not - just to see how things are.

Personally I can see Ryzom recovering and becoming better, lets have faith shall we? ^.^

Olca
- The Homin of Destiny

Relino
- The Cutest Trykertte

~*~ An adventurer and a melee combatant ~*~

clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM   #10
tr808

ye i agree with jim... these posts seem a little premature after they told us the info only yesterday i myself am still trying to get my friends to play.... dont stop doing that people!
tr808 is offline   Reply With Quote