Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1
rycheman

List of Professions

Hello all. I'm new to Ryzom, only been playing a couple weeks on and off. I've been a busy guy. Once the smoke clears I will have more time to dedicate to the game. So I'm curious to know how many different professions there are in Ryzom, and can I really do all at the same time, (master everything?) That sounds a bit out of bounds. I like to pick a prof. and stick with it. But I'm concerned that the players don't rely on other players cuz everyone can do the same thing everyone else can. So where does a, "profession" come into play here. Can someone please tell me how many professions are there, and list them for me? This may be in another thread and just missed it, sorry. Then please give me an idea of what do you do when you master all professions? (game over?) Or is there enough content to keep me going for a couple years? Why can't I sell back skills I dont want, but are forced to have? I think that skills should have some kind of modest flexing here so as I learn, I can modify my skill set to be who I want to be with the skills I want. Like maybe sell them back at half the cost. That way you will think twice before selling off a skill. (is it worth it?) Sorry, I'm rambling on. Just thinking.
rycheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2
mugendo

Re: List of Professions

As odd as it sounds, there really is no profession...just skills that can be modified in the Stanza, and of course the titles you can display are just an indication of some of the skill levels you have achieved.
Oh....and welcome to Atys

edit - and though it ispossible all can learn the same skills.....we prefer to concentrate on digging, magic, combat etc..so we all end up diferent....especially when our 'base' skills are modified, again by the stanza
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #3
otaku157

Nobody yet has mastered all the skill branches in two years of the game being out. You will surely find something you enjoy, more than one thing certainly, but doing them all at once is not exactly practical though you can try if you like!
otaku157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:07 AM   #4
raynes

My profession: Pain in the Ass and Troublemaker! Damn proud of it also!
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:20 AM   #5
jamela

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, richman, poorman, beggarman, thief.
Picker, piker, traitor, tryker, maceman, swordsman, rifleman, priest.
Leader, follower, whiner, sorrower, scientist, brute, poet, artiste.
Armourer, crafter, jeweller, master, it-girl, hitman, librarian ... feast

All these and many more may you be, if you so wish, though some require more imagination than others. Call yourself a sailor, however, and even your faithful mekkie mount might look at you funny.
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:27 AM   #6
jamela

More helpfully ... where skills and experience are concerned you don't need to make any compromises or sacrifices, you simply get better at whatever it is you do, and you never go backwards. As you learn and improve then the skill tree branches into more and more specializations, each one of which you can take up at any time, just by using that skill.
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:27 AM   #7
xythus

there will always be needs for a team

- you can't heal yourself (god knows how much people try that one :P)
- you will pretty much always dig better with someone using care actions on your sources
- heavy armour and casting (usually) dont mix, so tanks have a use in team
- casting with anything besides is ineffective, and fight attacks don't get interrupted by being bitten by animals like magic does, so that has it's use
- afflictionists pretty much need teams

etc etc

it's a very team oriented game, the fact that everyone can do everything doesn't change that - just means theres always something new to try
xythus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:09 AM   #8
gretchen

you can heal yourself but with different spells (Heal Self) and they have a cooldown period so not good for battle healing (can only cast once) more for downtime. Of course being able to cast a basically instant self heal is handy.
gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM   #9
acridiel

Thanks to the Stanza system you actually can customize your skills in a way.
And as profession goes, you are what you act like.
You are what you are.
Raynes is one extreme, I´ll but myself on the other end with my gentle souled Matis Jena priestess, or my capricious Tryker "rouge".
They are two completely different charakters and took on two completely different "professions", so to speak. Because I play them in different ways.

It´s all about imagination and a bit of acting

Have fun!
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:51 PM   #10
rycheman

WOW!! Thanks so much for all the info. I can't wait to get a bit higher in lvl now and join a guild. Lets see where my imagination will take me. RP anyone? hehe
rycheman is offline   Reply With Quote