Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 27th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
clemond1

Free Ryzom Campaign

I saw this on Nevrax.org this morning...sorry if it's a dupe (if this is a CoC violation, my apologies and please remove it):

Free Ryzom Campaign

And this:

ryzom.org

I can't vouch for the legitimacy but it's definitely an interesting possibility.

Last edited by clemond1 : November 27th, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
clemond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
forever

Re: Free Ryzom Campaign

I have better hopes for Ryzom and would only support this if it where the last option to keep the game alive.
I'm not willing to go to one server and start over.
forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #3
mithur

For me is, simply, the wost of all options.

The free software is an ideology that I love, but it's a bad idea tryto apply to all sides.

The software must be free, but the services not. A good service is a pay service; and a coherent storyline is a storyline with one head in the top of it; you can make it free for the comunity decides it. Mostly because the comunity have very diverse opinions and preferences.

Bah, I really wish this proyect don't sucess, and Ryzon continues with a well-formed, solid company.
mithur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #4
jezabel

You have misunderstood the main goal behind the www.ryzom.org project.

Keeping Ryzom alive if no solid company buy it !

What will every Ryzom's lover will do if no one want to buy the game ? Nevrax talk with others parties at the moment. But talking not necessarily mean buying.

And you haven't read carefully the description of the project because it's based on a paying subscription.

You say it's the worst of all options. But it can be the only one...
jezabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #5
borg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezabel
And you haven't read carefully the description of the project because it's based on a paying subscription.

You say it's the worst of all options. But it can be the only one...

Its based on a paying sub for one server, same fee smaller service.
The players will own their characters and are free to upload and download them, to me this will allow everyone to play with maxed out characters.
I doubt the CSRs for the free ryzom will be of the same standard as the ones provided by Jolt.

With all the debug/admin options avaliable to 'friends of the server admin' exploiting will be rife.

I personally wouldn't be interested, but each to their own.

A free ryzom would never be 'Ryzom'.
borg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #6
vguerin

Without a corporate mentality which half listens to the community, I can only imagine the direction the game would head. Even though it has the hope of advancing some things we'd like, it would be the end of an era for me if something like this happened.

As good as this community is, we hardly agree on very much and once someone actually started winning the tug-of-war over gameplay... the losers would give up.

As much promise as this has, I just don't see anything here other than wanting to save a game that had so much potential. I just can't see sending my donation to feed a starving child for a month if someone else is raising the child and its destiny is unknown...
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #7
sprite

*prods Thara this way*
Remember kids, IOWIYAFOO!
sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #8
iphdrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezabel
You have misunderstood the main goal behind the www.ryzom.org project.
Keeping Ryzom alive if no solid company buy it !

With all due respect, I don't really think that's the *main* goal. A side-effect, maybe. The goal is to turn Ryzom into a community driven, open source based project, and for this; the proposal already admits that there will be more interested parties: "The principal difference is that, we would likely not be the only party who would wish to purchase Ryzom". This means that this is going to be one offer, of "many".

It is not "let's do this if everything else fails" but "let's do this despite of other offers". Although it is an interesting offer, lots of questions remain, including who will own the code, and the IP? -- I just read fast the social contract on that page, not clear to me -- you can put it in GPL or LGPL, but what's behind that (c) ? IANAL. Why not put it in the public domain? etc? or the fact that there will be one server, three languages, x players.... without mentioning that one could guess no new developments in a few months / years.

Personally, the one interesting point would be having access to a full featured GPL implementation of a MMRPG worth millions of euros. but this is from the perspective of a developer. As an operated game service, the "saga" ...I am not sure this can work.

EDIT: recently I remembered that a few weeks-months ago one player was posting that he was aware of a possible offer of "his dad?" and a few more investors regarding Ryzom and the Ring. Anyone can dig that up? am I the only one remembering this? was this just one player boasting,

Last edited by iphdrunk : November 27th, 2006 at 04:51 PM.
iphdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #9
rheda

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9
Its based on a paying sub for one server, same fee smaller service.
The players will own their characters and are free to upload and download them, to me this will allow everyone to play with maxed out characters.
I doubt the CSRs for the free ryzom will be of the same standard as the ones provided by Jolt.

With all the debug/admin options avaliable to 'friends of the server admin' exploiting will be rife.

I personally wouldn't be interested, but each to their own.

A free ryzom would never be 'Ryzom'.

I don't think you've guessed a single one of this affirmations... You're all wrong, in fact. The aim of the project is:
- Make the code, artwork and such publically available under the GPL/LGPL and similar licenses.
- Try to set up a dacent server like the one we have now, with the same characteristics it has now, more or less, but obviously not allowing to upload/download chars to turn this into a diablo-like cheater game.. how could you even think that!
- Set everything up so everyone can modify the codebase of this game, but that does not mean integrating everything into the code! The Free Ryzom Project is aimed to become a democratic organization. Anyway, that would mean anyone could set up a server to offer a paid or not service under his own terms, so it's up to the user to decide if he want to play a free/unreliable/cheaty server or if they'd rather join a more trustworthy paid service.

I obviously lack yet a lot of information, which I wish I had, but I'm not gonna be the one throwing stones at volunteers trying their best on a non-profit goal.

D'oh!
rheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #10
khyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphdrunk
EDIT: recently I remembered that a few weeks-months ago one player was posting that he was aware of a possible offer of "his dad?" and a few more investors regarding Ryzom and the Ring. Anyone can dig that up? am I the only one remembering this? was this just one player boasting,

Might this be the post you're referring to? No idea about the boasting though. When I read it then, it didn't sound very convincing, but in today's light, who knows...
khyle is offline   Reply With Quote