Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: do you think the current implementation of mass PvP is working?
Yes 62 43.66%
No 80 56.34%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 9th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #1
rushin

It's a PvP poll not a flame thread o_o

yeah, yeah i know.. its a forum you are all free to discuss so go ahead.

The thing is it would be nice to have an intelligent conversation as a group of players about a better PvP system (better for everyone obviously) but after watching every single thread that even briefly mentions PvP crash and burn i dont have a lot of hope so am just asking a simple question /

and i know 'working' is hardly a great word, acceptable? fair? making factions and PvP fun? you get the idea
rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #2
d29565

Re: It's a PvP poll not a flame thread o_o

I voted no.

I voted no because I remember a time when I got along with everyone of every faction. In all actuality, a person's faction meant nothing to me, and I'm sure it was the same for many others.

Now, all of the people I once called either "guildie" or "friend" insult me, etc in battle, be it an outpost battle or a regular tagged fight. Yeah yeah, you can argue that outpost battles are not faction based, but on Arispotle we all know they are. I can almost guarentee everyone knows what I am talking about when I say people throw insults and the like. Before this open PvP, the only time I was ever insulted was when a gingo killed me as an Avatar of Destruction.

I enjoy some PvP as much as the next person. But the politics involved with PvP on the Arispotle server is to harsh for me. I am a complete softie, Out of Cavern to the core (ignore this if you are newer to the game :P ), I hate what PvP has done to Ryzom.
d29565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM   #3
pyrrhon

The mechanics of the mass PvP system is fine. In my old neighborhood when I was a kid, the neighborhood kids played football, baseball, basketball, and you know, fun stuff. If the teams weren't balanced, someone would always volunteer to go over to the weaker team to make the game fun and balanced again. Those were good times. Oops, sorry, got off track reminiscing. Getting back to the point, the mechanics of the mass PvP system is fine.
pyrrhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #4
katriell

I roleplay every day. On rare occasion, I get involved in an outpost battle. So I turn on some appropriately invigorating music and proceed to smack targets that happen to be other players for the better part of two hours. I have fun. Battle ends. I continue my regular activities, i.e. roleplaying, which of course carried through the battle itself and all surrounding action and politics. I've never attended an outpost battle with any character other than Jelathnia, and she doesn't mind it, so there's not even any IC issue. Outpost battles are generally excellent fodder for screenshots and videos, and they tend to stimulate roleplay and storyline change. Not bad. End of my perspective.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #5
great83

I think the current PvP situation is just fine, as long as you dont get emotional about it. Something that is easier said then done for some. I see it following the same basic rule that i have seen everything else follow in this game so far: You get what you put into it. If you just go to the OP wars defending, then you not putting a whole lot into it and there fore not reciving much fun from it IMHO. If you want a better experince PvPing Tag up and join a mate or 2 and go hunt down the oppsing faction, if you can find any of them sit outside of Dyron or Yrk and attack any taged person coming in and out that doesnt have a pick in their hand. Sooner or later you will get the fight you want and will win some and lose some but in the end have fun.
great83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #6
pahya

I'm not huge fan of PvP. Ok lets be blunt, I hate PvP. Always have, in every game I've played. I'm a big softie, I hate conflict. I'm also HIGHLY compeditive and a have a massive ego. I PvPed for a while in a certain unnamed game and nearly gave myself an ulcer from the anger that PvP seems to spawn in me. So, I avoid it like a plague.

Oddly enough, if even a good portion of PvP could be roleplayed, I might actually love it. I don't mind my character getting in fights or even harmed, I mind someone getting the jonses by ganking me. I don't mind fighting with characters, I most certainly mind fighting with players if that makes any sense.

On topic however, I've been involved in very little PvP in Ryzom (as said, plague) but I'll readily defend my guild's outpost, or my allies outpost. I can't say if it is or isn't working then, but I can say that if such a huge portion of the community seems to have issue with it it should certianly be looked at by the devs. And -not- from a gameplay viewpoint, from a "What does our community want and need?" standpoint. Personally, to use PvP as a means to add content and challenge to Ryzom is a cop out, a way to avoid creating engaging and dynamic PvE content which we all know is lacking.
pahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #7
dollly

[quote=d29565]I voted no.

I voted no because I remember a time when I got along with everyone of every faction. In all actuality, a person's faction meant nothing to me, and I'm sure it was the same for many others.QUOTE]
aye
dollly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #8
fiach

I voted yes, although the game hasnt proper PvP like Lineage, the OP's aren't unlike Castle Sieges, the difference is....after an OP, I dont have to spend the next two weeks watching my back for gank squads from the opposing side, all the ganking seems to be forum based (joke )
fiach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9
jamela

Voted yes. I completely agree with Keiko on how faction war has polluted the atmosphere but I don't think that is the fault of the game mechanics, and it isn't the topic of the thread.

I think the mass PvP here encourages very tight team, and inter-team, tactics, communications and morale. I'm not very good at it but I have had a great deal of fun, satisfaction and laughter struggling to be better

One alteration I think would allow for more tactical play was suggested on these forums many months ago - the radar/compass. I think it was suggested that the radar be disabled during outpost battles. A great idea but it wouldn't make much sense. I'd rather that the radar didn't differentiate friend from foe, we'd have to see or target someone before seeing their colours. This would make sneak attacks and flanking moves more viable, adding more weight to tactical play and shifting the balance a little away from simple numerical superiority.

This is also something that we could test for ourselves since we can change the colours of the dots on our radar. Anyone care to stage a huge outpost battle with all participants voluntarily making friend and foe appear the same colour on their radar?
jamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #10
sofiaoak

I voted no. I don't hate PvP, but I don't like what it does to people.

I think OP battles are boring, because basicly it's big chaos with very little tactics. Also PvP battles in generally always is about who's stronger, higher in levels and has more people on they side.

As healing is my good skills, I did do same in OP battle than I do I PvE hunt, spam heals. Different is that no-one takes my participation in PvE any personal ways, like they could do in PvP.
sofiaoak is offline   Reply With Quote