Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #1
greyghst

Universe Channel - Cho

Ok... I've had enough.

I've been scolded a few times now for using the /universe channel to help noobs. I've been told it's only for questions and answers... nothing else. I've been scolded in public, and in private tells, mostly by a certain CSR, and then by that person's regular character apparently.

70% of the time when I use the /universe channel, I am responding to questions... trying to help people, mostly noobs on trainee island. 20% of the time I am asking questions.

On Cho, we've got 3 people who insist that we not use the /universe channel... meanwhile there are 30 of us that want to use the /universe channel...

Why? Because it is the only method of communication in this game that allows us to communicate to everyone on the server. That is it's purpose, I don't care what you say.... if it wasn't the purpose, then why can everyone on the server see it, and send to it? Why is it the ONLY channel that everyone on the server can see or send to?

If you want a channel to yourself... the ones who constantly bitch... turn /universe off, and use /region, /team... or go play a single player game, like Morrowind...

This is a MMORG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), do you honestly expect us to not want to talk to other people on the server?

How else are the 3 noobs on trainee island supposed to get help for their quests and for the game? The other noobs don't know... lol

To the one particular CSR who constantly bitches everyone out for using the /universe channel:

1. Everytime you logon it's 8 lines hellos, and nuzzles and bleh bleh bleh. (not questions and answers)

2. You have never announced in any channel exactly what it is that you do... nor have you ever announced that people can send you /tells to ask questions, which is how CSR's normally operate in any of the other 100+ MMORGS in the world today. I have no freakin clue what you do, other than bitch me, my friends, and the noobs out for using the /universe channel.

3. Cho is small server, Most of us (That is the majority of us), would like to see more people running around, so we can have team pvp, guild wars, multi-guild events, big wars, and lots of crazyness.

4. By constantly telling the noobs not to talk in /universe, you are hindering the growth of this game, turning off people who would pay to play it, thereby hurting the company that owns the game, and hurting the players (The majority of players).

5.This is not a single player game... I repeat... this is not a single player game.

6. If your going to continue to scold people for using the /universe channel, at the VERY LEAST, answer a question for somebody in the channel. I have never seen you answer a single question in /universe... it's absurd what you suggest. Furthermore, you never answered a single question for my first 2 characters on this server, and I had no idea what you actually do, other than stand there at the tower and bitch at people for using /universe.

7. Oh then there's the good-byes... another 8 lines of spam as you exit the game each day after bitching out 10 people for using /universe for things other than questions or answers.

8. Are you starting to see the inconsistancy here? ITS NOT YOUR CHANNEL.

9. The three people who dislike others using the /universe channel can disable the channel easy enough, so that the MAJORITY of us can use the channel to actually communicate!

Someone please come here and explain to us, in black and white, what the universe channel is for.... because I am very tired of getting bitched out for trying to help the noobs on trainee island.

At least NINE people so far have sent me /tells asking what the deal is with not using the /universe channel, and to complain about the CSR. Many of us talk about it frequently... it should not be the daily topic of conversation that it is right now.

Westwind - Cho
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #2
greyghst

Re: Universe Channel - Cho

I want to be perfectly clear on something.

Most of us have been bitched out just for using the /universe channel.

After a few days, it changed to "The /universe channel is only for questions and answers."

But we were still getting bitched out for asking questions or providing answers.

I was bitched out an hour ago for providing an answer to a noob on trainee island. I was bitched out last night for asking a question... my own guild has told me that I did nothing wrong.

I get bitched out every single day for asking a question or answering one in the /universe channel... and usually, it's several times a day.

WestWind
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #3
stijn

May i suggest to send in a ticket about the dev thingie? Think there is a special ticket for devs problems in game
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #4
0balgus0

Having chatlogs of unruly comments from csr(s) would be helpful to your (and others') cause.
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #5
vguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghst
6. If your going to continue to scold people for using the /universe channel, at the VERY LEAST, answer a question for somebody in the channel. I have never seen you answer a single question in /universe... it's absurd what you suggest. Furthermore, you never answered a single question for my first 2 characters on this server, and I had no idea what you actually do, other than stand there at the tower and bitch at people for using /universe.

7. Oh then there's the good-byes... another 8 lines of spam as you exit the game each day after bitching out 10 people for using /universe for things other than questions or answers.

8. Are you starting to see the inconsistancy here? ITS NOT YOUR CHANNEL.
I got a great chuckle out of this, as good as Jolt is they are not perfect... If your gripe is valid (and you can prove it) you need to take it out of the forums and to the SGM's. Some of the volunteer CSR's do love their fans, but consistancy is important. It definately isn't their channel...
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #6
d29565

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghst
I've been scolded a few times now for using the /universe channel to help noobs. I've been told it's only for questions and answers... nothing else. I've been scolded in public, and in private tells, mostly by a certain CSR, and then by that person's regular character apparently.

I'm pretty certain I know who you are talking about. From all that I've seen from the certain CSR, he/she is as human as the rest of us. Oh dear, how can that be?

Quote:
70% of the time when I use the /universe channel, I am responding to questions... trying to help people, mostly noobs on trainee island. 20% of the time I am asking questions.

And I bet the 10% of time that you aren't answering or asking questions, that is what you are being scolded for. It could also be that on Cho, when we answer questions we then sort of get off topic with that question. I do it, and I've been scolded for it.

Quote:
...only method of communication in this game that allows us to communicate to everyone on the server. That is it's purpose, I don't care what you say.... if it wasn't the purpose, then why can everyone on the server see it, and send to it? Why is it the ONLY channel that everyone on the server can see or send to?

When you first opened the universe channel there was a lovely warning that said the channels was only for answering questions and answers, not for communicating. But, since you only communicate 10% of the time this really should not be a problem. Or is it that you communicate more often than that and are just getting frustrated cause *pout* you're getting picked on.

To answer the last part. Everyone on the server can see the channel and send to it incase they are lost and need help and someone that knows how to help can answer. It is the only channel because it was actually just recently introduced to the game. Before the universe channel we actually had to port to different regions to find people existed!!!

Quote:
This is a MMORG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), do you honestly expect us to not want to talk to other people on the server?

No, that is why there are team chat, private chat, guild chat, region chat, around chat. Oh, did I mention private chat? And sometimes, I form teams when I'm digging, just to have someone to chat with!

Quote:
How else are the 3 noobs on trainee island supposed to get help for their quests and for the game? The other noobs don't know... lol

That is where the questions and answers come into play. Not the 10% conversation bit.

Quote:
1. Everytime you logon it's 8 lines hellos, and nuzzles and bleh bleh bleh. (not questions and answers)

Actually it's more like the CSR announces who he/she is with a nuzzle for kindness, probably to show he/she is not scary. Or does kindness not become you. Right. We should all welcome the players with pick axes and fireballs.

Quote:
2. You have never announced in any channel exactly what it is that you do... nor have you ever announced that people can send you /tells to ask questions, which is how CSR's normally operate in any of the other 100+ MMORGS in the world today. I have no freakin clue what you do, other than b*** me, my friends, and the noobs out for using the /universe channel.

Right. Because announcing that "I am GM/Guide/whatever so-and-so," does not accurately describe his/her position. We should all expect to learn about the reports he/she has to send in, and the player he/she has to unstick, and did you know that everytime a CSR mutes someone they have to send in a screenshot, a report, yadda yadda. Bet you didn't. Know how I know? I asked. They dont tell this when they announce who they are.

Quote:
3. Cho is small server, Most of us (That is the majority of us), would like to see more people running around, so we can have team pvp, guild wars, multi-guild events, big wars, and lots of crazyness.

I fail to see what this has to do with the rest of your post? What does your need for pvp or whatever have to do with your qualms with a CSR?

Quote:
4. By constantly telling the noobs not to talk in /universe, you are hindering the growth of this game, turning off people who would pay to play it, thereby hurting the company that owns the game, and hurting the players (The majority of players).

I'm sorry, I believe most CSRs let there be a lot of 'freedom' on Cho universe. Log onto Aris and get off topic in that Universe chat. See how fast you are muted there.

Quote:

A CSRs job is not to answer the type of questions normally asked in universe chat. That is breaking their whatever they have to sign. They can only guide a player in the right direction. A CSR handles questions more along the line of "how can I stop this constant high ping." More techy questions than anything else.

As to what they do, I believe I mentioned some of what a CSR does earlier. You really should learn more before posting an angry post.

Quote:

Hm, I believe the particular CSR you are talking about usually says something like, "-insert nuzzle- I am moving over to Arispotle, if you need to contact me you can send in a ticket or send a tell to name(csr)" I've heard this one many times.

Quote:
ITS NOT YOUR CHANNEL.

Nor is it yours to spam with your 10% conversations...

Quote:
...so that the MAJORITY of us can use the channel to actually communicate!

Are you so sure you are the majority? Personally, I love to keep universe open so I can help answer questions from new and old players alike. I know I dont like hearing about SWG, AO, EQ2, whatever the hell kind of games people that dont play Ryzom play. All of that is considered communication. But, that communication is not allowed in universe, and I'd hate to miss answering a question from someone more important because I had to turn of Universe because of people spamming it with unnecessary chit-chat.

Quote:
Someone please come here and explain to us, in black and white, what the universe channel is for.... because I am very tired of getting bitched out for trying to help the noobs on trainee island.

Just for good measue.

Universe chat is designated for Questions and Answers. With a possible greeting from the many members of a server.

Quote:
At least NINE people so far have sent me /tells asking what the deal is with not using the /universe channel, and to complain about the CSR. Many of us talk about it frequently... it should not be the daily topic of conversation that it is right now.

Oh! Is it a cult? Are you guys all for anarchy and taking over the universe chat? Maybe you should make a guild together, and then take over the server with your super powerful, "i'm against rules so I'll diss the rule enforcer," mindset.

edit: and can you even use B**** that many times on a PG-13 or whatever forum?

Last edited by d29565 : January 17th, 2007 at 05:25 AM. Reason: had an extra snarpy comment
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #7
iwojimmy

I think a lot of the problems could be reduced by clear and accurate labeling

Rename Universe channel to Help channel, and then stomp very very hard on people who arent using it for that ( but I'm an intolerant b*stard )

Calling it Universe lets people think it should contain everything, which is wrong and needs to be discouraged.

BTW, telling people to ask for something in Region, IS being helpful
Old January 17th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #8
jindo38

IMHO for what its worth (yah i know not much). I'm 100% on the wagon with Siobhan. I know who your talking about and i found you statements to be extremely off. Case in point "never seen him/her help people" i've seen it countless times. You usually don't see him/her flat out answer because as Sio said they have to sign some dohiccy...but what you do see is him/her say "(name of whoever needed help) check your tell".

But one thing i can say without a doubt is i have never, not once, seen him/her chew somebody out for answering a question (about something related to Ryzom). Yes the ole "Why couldn't so and so company have done such and such game like this" is a question...but is not a question for /u. I've yet to play a MMORPG that i didn't have to log out the universal channels....except this one. So even though your mightly PO'd over this and the 'certain' person..i hope the 'certain' person and other GM/CSR's keep doin exactly what they're doing.

Breeze
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #9
tr808

Angry Re: Universe Channel - Cho

I am one of those complaining about the misuse, im not afraid to say that.... I also see by the way u adress this matter i.e. the words u choose to use in this topic that i feel in no way i should aswer for that.... only thing i got to say is i watched u "chat" with some1 who was right infront of u in Pyr over the universe channel..... also the question help u provide Westwind is mostly the sort of, euhm i dunno but i wanted to say something.......

i got only one thign to say to u and that is, in this case, U are the noob for not reading the message universe chat give u

edit: the reason why u dont see others complain about it is because im one of the few complainers there is, who still let it open to be able to answer questions from those people who u call noobs, i rather cal them newbies, like we both still are.... (looks at westwinds joindate)
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #10
nephy13

I definitely think that having a universal channel for help is a good idea and a seperate one for general, on-topic chat. It is important that the "help" channel not be filled with (inane) chat, since that could disuade newbies from asking questions. Universe should really allow some limited, strongly-on-topic chat as well as help, since it shouldn't be scrolling past faster than the eye can see! Specifically, allowing non-spamming of "Looking for group/trek" type requests on Cho would help us greatly, especially with the currently low population. As a suggestion, allow Universe to start conversations, as long as they are taken off-Universe if they are more than a couple of exchanges?

I actually think we should have additional region (4 homelands and Prime roots) and global chats and whos as well, but that would require a fair bit more programming, benefiting from a redesign of the chat window and creating a nice filterable region/land/global who window, which would also be used for guild and friends (for a consistent layout - I find having completely different windows for /who, friends and guild looks a little undesigned).
Closed Thread