Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #1
tengheau

Okay I did PvP this weekend, and yeah it was fun

Norb, Mok and Sos camped out in Dyron, and I have to admit that I mostly ignored it. Then Wezzy put out the call and with no one else on, Anikin and I went to Dyron. The details aren't that important, fun was had :)
But a quick couple of things: I did accidentally cast on Mok once, but managed to acquire another target. I have no problem with you casting on me Mok, but once stated, I am not about to go back on what I said, at least without an engraved invitation, and then I will have to think about it.
But the point is, I did PvP and I have to admit it was great fun.

Now that I am not just another RP log-bump I have a few things to say about some things I have read on this board.

At work I am competing for the same promotion with a guy who lives not to far from me, So last night I went over to his house, kicked in his front door, shot up his house, killed his pets and demolished his car. Heh, lets see him compete now!
To my astonishment I was arrested and when I went before the judge I said "Look, the laws of physics allowed me to do all those things, so PARDON ME IF I PLAY THE GAME AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED!!".

In case being flogged with the point isn't enough I will restate it, there is a difference between what one can do and what one should do.

All you ganks that wave game mechanics as your justification aren't fooling anyone. When you gank without consent (as with harvesters in the PR), when you kill packers, you are acting in an ethically reprehensible manner and while you are acting that way you, the player, are making choices that are contemptable.
Coming to these forums and simpering "you know that me ganking you in the PR is just following the story line, right? Right? C'mon guys right?" is proof in itself that you know what you are doing is wrong and any lack of condemnation doesn't in some way excuse you from the culpability that is built-in to your actions.
While brushing your teeth before bed there is always a moment when you look at yourself in the mirror and in that moment you either have to admit you know it's wrong or you will have to look away or, I suppose, you can sail on through in a veiled life. But you not admitting it's wrong doesn't change the reality.

As regards PR harvester ganking I do have to say that some of the blame lies with Nevrax, they promised me consensual PvP, it was the one uncompromising condition upon which I started this game, then I come to find out that the area with the best eye candy and the only multi-race mats (that are any good) requires nonconsensual PvP. That's not a game with consensual PvP, and all the yapping about not having to go into the PR doesn't change that it is fundamentally deceptive.

Of course I agree you don't have to go to the PR, but by requiring PvP in places like the PR rather than just places like Arenas, it is a different game than was advertised. You can't get the full game experience while avoiding the PR and it is not some trivial way, as with arenas, there is a very major difference.
When I started digging in the PR I thought "At last. I didn't buy this video card and this game to look at two different colors of sand. I wanted a neat environment and this is finally it. ". Staring at sand in Dyron hour after hour is just not worth spending my limited playtime on, watching all the wonderful detritus in the PR and being scared to death of the mobs is worth spending my time. Totally different experience.

(edited to add the two paragraphs above, otherwise there will be a zillion "you don't have to go to the PR" posts from people who don't read further before replying.)

I will likely see you guys out there more and when my flag is on I am happy to be fair game. Although "fair" will only really happen when the Karavan can draw on the same depth of players that the Kami can. Since there are so many more of us it is more likely that, at any given time, we will be able to field more troops. All PvP battles are therefor likely to follow the pattern:
X vs. X
X vs. X+1
X vs. X+3
etc. which is nothing like a real contest.

Calevin

Last edited by tengheau : March 19th, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
tengheau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
tr808

Cool Re: Okay I did PvP this weekend, and yeah it was fun

Still i enjoyed it
tr808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #3
norvic

Re: Okay I did PvP this weekend, and yeah it was fun

Leveled to master PR without touching a PvP region all mats available.

PvP in ryzom is consentual, you enter a PvP region and you give consent you have no exclusive need to be there although some trips are more time consuming if you avoid PvP areas.

Not argueing with you on the ethics of killing diggers until recently I would have completly agreed with you but i dont agree with you on the fact you have to be there, _you dont_.
norvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #4
acridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengheau

At work I am competing for the same promotion with a guy who lives not to far from me, So last night I went over to his house, kicked in his front door, shot up his house, killed his pets and demolished his car. Heh, lets see him compete now!
To my astonishment I was arrested and when I went before the judge I said "Look, the laws of physics allowed me to do all those things, so PARDON ME IF I PLAY THE GAME AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED!!".

Man, this is poetry! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
One of the best statements I´ve seen so far to moot this view on game mechanics.

The Fun thing with the people who use said justefication of their game, won´t accept it the other way `round, wich will never case to amaze me.
Because the game also allowes in its core mechanics a non PvP Style of play.
But if you state that ooooh, no that´s not a valid point.
Most of the time I realy don´t know if I am to laugh or to cry at such ignorance.

But now, thanks to you, and I could kick myself for not comming up with this one myself, I have a nice good point.

But I´m pretty sure, sooner or later the old "But that´s RL and not a Game we play" Blahblah will start. *LOL*

Anyway, thanks again. I laughed out loud and I agree completely.
Although not on the point of the roots, but that´s for another time and place. ^^

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
tengheau

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvic
i dont agree with you on the fact you have to be there, _you dont_.

Of course I agree you don't have to be there, I am saying that by requiring PvP in places like the PR rather than just places like Arenas, it is a different game than was advertised. You can't get the full game experience while avoiding the PR and it is not some trivial way, as with arenas, there is a very major difference.
When I started digging in the PR I thought "At last. I didn't buy this video card and this game to look at two different colors of sand. I wanted a neat environment and this is finally it. ". Staring at sand in Dyron hour after hour is just not worth spending my limited playtime on, watching all the wonderful detritus in the PR and being scared to death of the mobs is worth spending my time. Totally different experience.

Calevin
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #6
norvic

Quote:
Of course I agree you don't have to be there, I am saying that by requiring PvP in places like the PR rather than just places like Arenas, it is a different game than was advertised. You can't get the full game experience while avoiding the PR and it is not some trivial way, as with arenas, there is a very major difference.
When I started digging in the PR I thought "At last. I didn't buy this video card

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you here but I take it you are aware that the majority of the PR isnt PvP?

And agree with you the PR regions are very atmospheric and challenging.
norvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #7
tengheau

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvic
Sorry if I am misunderstanding you here but I take it you are aware that the majority of the PR isnt PvP?

And agree with you the PR regions are very atmospheric and challenging.

Nope! Didn't know that. My fame is not yet high enough to get the tps and as a result all my time in the PR has been treking (with a bit of harvesting Beckers Bark near Dyron). I have never been in a part that wasn't PvP, I look forward to that, thanks :)

Calevin
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #8
xtarsia

Quote:

That actually happens.....

xD
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #9
nillian

Quote:
Nope! Didn't know that...all my time in the PR has been treking (with a bit of harvesting Beckers Bark near Dyron). I have never been in a part that wasn't PvP...

Calevin

Underspring, where you would've been getting the Beckers, is a non-PvP zone. Only the Lands of Umbra (the big 'corridor' in the middle) containing Windy Gate, Elusive Forest, Gate of Obscurity and Trench of Trials are PvP-enabled. The non-PvP PR zones are Underspring, Abyss of Ichor, and Wastelands which contains Sunken City, Forbidden Depths and Lands of Continuity. So there are 4 PvP zones, and 5 non-PvP zones. Just to clear that up
nillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #10
xfluffee

Quote:
Nope! Didn't know that. My fame is not yet high enough to get the tps and as a result all my time in the PR has been treking (with a bit of harvesting Beckers Bark near Dyron). I have never been in a part that wasn't PvP, I look forward to that, thanks

Calevin
Nillian beat me to the punch, but just to expand on what was said (since I don't see a method to delete this message) ... Nexus Minor, a forest area, is the only other PvP-only region in the game. But seriously, once you are there, other players are the least of your concerns.

Happy digging!
xfluffee is offline   Reply With Quote