Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Customer Support > Technical Support
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1
katriell

Flaws in the in-game English texts

This thread is for collecting and correcting such flaws. They might be incomplete translations, grammatical errors, spelling or punctuation mistakes, etc. Even a phrase that is technically correct but cumbersome and unclear may be deserving of correction, especially if it's in a tutorial or tooltip. After a while, when possibly all of them have been found by us truffle-yubos of proofreading, I'll submit the results as a ticket, with a note of thanks to each person who contributed.

When reporting a flaw, note where it was found and any other relevant information you can think of (special conditions that caused the text to appear, if there were any). We should try to make it as easy as possible for them to be located and fixed.

Placeholder for a target name is, since I don't know what the one used in the code is, simply Name. Unless Kaetemi drops by and supplies the actual one.

Context: Combat.
Text: Vous interrupt Name.
Correction: You interrupt Name.

Context: Window title.
Text: Name.s Identity
Correction: Name's Identity
Note: Was the dot a result of someone trying to use a fancy apostrophe version that isn't available in Ryzom's font?

Text: This item represent one of your animal.
Correction: This item represents one of your animals.

Text: They can be contacted via the 'SUPPORT' button in the 'GAME' tab of the button menu on the right hand edge of the screen.
Correction: They can be contacted by clicking the purple 'Help...' button in the 'WINDOWS' tab of the menu on the right-hand side of the screen, then clicking 'Support'.
If you have changed the appearance of that menu to icons instead of labels (using the little T/i button on it), you will find 'Support' in the purple icon with a black question mark in a white circle.
Note: The original text refers to the old menu style. My correction describes the new menu style and makes an allowance for its alternative display modes. Although mentioning how to change the display mode is a digression, it may prevent a player from digressing himself wondering what the heck is meant by "changing the appearance of that menu," help a player who used the display mode button accidentally and wants to switch it back, and initiate the player into tuning the interface for their preference.

Text: p's IDENTITY : Go
Correction: IDENTITY : Go
Note: If the character name can't be automatically displayed there, don't bother with the "p" thing...

Text: You will recover naturally from damage inflicted to you by foes. You will recover faster if you sit down than if you remain standing. The rate at which you heal is determined by your Metabolism score.
Correction: You will recover naturally from damage inflicted on you by foes; the rate at which this happens is determined by your Metabolism score. If you sit down, you will recover faster.
Text: You can also heal yourself with powers called .self heal life. you can find by your trainers. If the power does not appear in your hands bar, drop it from your progression windows or create it by right clicking on a free slot of the hands bar.
Correction: You can also heal yourself with powers called 'Self Heal Life', which can be learned from a trainer. If the power does not appear in your hands bar, drag and drop it from your Actions window (otherwise known as Action Progression) or create it by right-clicking on an empty slot of the hands bar, clicking 'New Action', selecting 'Power Stanza', then selecting 'Restore Life' and a credit that balances out the level of 'Self Heal Life' you choose.
Text: Now that you have the .self heal life. power in your hands bar, just click the icon to activate it. You don.t need to target yourself to perform this action.
Correction: Now that you have the 'Self Heal Life' power in your hands bar, just click the icon to use it. You don't need to target yourself to perform this action.
Text: You can also use the .restore sap. and .restore stamina. stanzas in this power to heal your sap points or your stamina points. Each time that you create a .self heal. power, you need to choose a time credit wich define how long your self heal abilities will be disabled. Note that this timer is common to ALL self heals.so you cannot use a self heal hit points power and use a self heal stamina just after it.
Correction: You can also learn 'Self Heal Stamina' from a Fighter Trainer, 'Self Heal Sap' from a Magician Trainer, and 'Self Heal Focus' from a Harvester or Crafter Trainer. These can be combined with each other using 'Add Option' in the action creation/editing window, or kept separate. When you create a self heal power, you need to choose a time credit which defines how long your self heal abilities will be disabled; this timer is shared by all self heals, so you cannot (for example) use a 'Self Heal Life' and use a 'Self Heal Stamina' just after it, or a 'Self Heal Life 10' then a 'Self Heal Life 5' half of 10's time credit later. When you edit a self heal to upgrade it or add another type of self heal to it, remember that you must increase the time credit to match.
Note: Okay, so I'm updating and clarifying some of the helpfiles too now...sorry... xD

Text: Where are my prospecting actions ?
Correction: Where are my prospecting actions?
Note: General tip: You don't need to put a space between the end of a word and a question or exclamation mark.

Context: The title.
Correction: Resurrect a dead friend

Text: In Ryzom players who loose all of their hit points fall into a coma. When they are in a coma their hit point bar starts to fill up with a deep red color. When the bar is completely full they die and must choose a bind point and re-spawn. Comatose players can be resuscitated. Dead players cannot.
One resuscitates players by casting heal spells on their comatose corpses. Each heal spell makes the deep red bar recede. Casting sufficient heal spells to completely eliminate the dark red brings the comatose player back to life.
Correction: In Ryzom players who lose all of their hit points (HP) fall into a coma. While comatose they cannot move or use actions, but they can speak and invite another player into a team with them (which can be helpful to locating them, using the team member icon on the map). Meanwhile their HP bar is gradually filling up with a dark red color, and a small bar on their Respawn window is filling at the same time. When the bar is completely full (it takes about 5 minutes for it to fill) they die and are automatically teleported to the location they choose on their Respawn window's map. They can also choose to respawn before their time is up.

One resuscitates a comatose player by casting heal spells on them. You don't need any special resurrection spell; that doesn't exist in Ryzom. Each heal spell makes the dark red bar recede and increases the amount of time remaining before automatic respawn. Casting enough heal spells to completely clear the dark red brings the comatose player back to life, without any death penalty. If a player is not resuscitated before respawn, they do get death penalty except in a few special situations.

Location: Tooltip of death penalty icon in the Bonus/Malus window.
Text: Each time you die and are resurected by the Kami or Karavan,
Correction: Each time you die and are resurrected by the Kami or Karavan,

Text: When your level of focus is low, you cannot carry out foraging actions any longer.
Correction: When your level of focus is low, you cannot carry out foraging actions or crafting actions with boost stanzas in them.

Text: Taunts your target, makes it attack you.
Correction: Taunts your target to make it attack you.

Text: Taunts your target, makes it attacks you.
Correction: Taunts your target to make it attack you.

Location: Tooltip of Elevation Crystal / XP Catalyser icon in the Bonus/Malus window.
Text: An experience catalyser is active, you will gain an XP bonus.
Click here to desactivate it
Correction: An experience catalyser is active; you are receiving a bonus to XP you gain in skills that are lower than the quality of the catalyser.
Click here to deactivate it.

Context: The title of the submenu that lets you target your mektoubs.
Text: Animal
Correction: Your Animals

Texts:
QC1. Hello!
QC2. Bye!
QC3. Yes
QC4. No
QC5. Follow me
QC6. Help me
QC7. I need some heal
QC8. I'm looking for a team member
QC9. Hug
QC10. Yeah!
1. What's going on?
2. Dude?
3. Why not?
4. On the way
5. I hi sir
6. Stop talking to me
7. Leave me alone!
8. Are you crazy?
9. Aahahahaha
0. That's the way it is
Replacements:
QC1. Heal my health please?
QC2. Heal my stamina please?
QC3. Heal my sap please?
QC4. Help, I'm being chewed on!
QC5. I'm on my way...
QC6. Where?
QC7. Follow me please
QC8. Wait a moment
QC9. Ready
QC0. Stop
1. Yes
2. No
3. I've been killed!
4. Does anyone need a team?
5. I need a team
6. I see it
7. Should we wait?
8. I need to go
9. Hello!
0. Hahahaha!
Note: Most of the originals are completely useless. Please replace them to excuse the menu, keys, and bytes they occupy.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel

Last edited by katriell : August 11th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote