Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Saga
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
sidusar

Trick or Treat (Halloween Ring Scenario)

Trick or Treat (Halloween Ring Scenario)

It doesn't seem likely we'll be getting a Halloween event this year, so in an effort to bring some Halloween spirit to Ryzom, I've made a little Halloween-themed Ring scenario. The goal of this scenario is to go Trick-or-treating past tent doors until you've gathered 10 Treats. I'll be hosting this scenario all week for as much as I can, and will be giving out small prizes to those that complete it.

The rules:
  • There are six different tents scattered around. Click on a tent to Trick-or-Treat at it.
  • If you get a Treat, a chest will spawn nearby.
  • If you get a Trick, something nasty will spawn nearby and try to rip you into pieces, and you'll have to kill it to make the chest spawn.
  • Either way, the chest has to be opened before you can move on to the next tent.
  • You can Trick-or-Treat at any tent more than once, but not twice in a row at the same tent.

It's random what kind of nastiness will spawn if you get a Trick, so if you're unlucky enough to get an encounter you can't handle, you can press the reset button at the beginning. This will despawn any encounters and reset all tents, but it can only be used once every 2 minutes. It's this thing:

The difficulty of the encounters varies widely, but most will take a level 200+ melee to handle alone. But because of the random chance to get a Treat, and the reset button, even a level 1 player can complete this scenario if they don't mind dieing a bunch of times. (There's no Death Penalty in the Ring, and it's a myth that dieing wears out your gear, so death costs nothing.) And even a level 250 player alone will probably die at least once. After all, what's Halloween without a little death?

To complete the scenario, hand in 10 Treats to the mission officer at the start, and Bolkin will spawn. If I'm not around to see your victory, take a screenshot of yourself with Bolkin as proof that you've completed the scenario. Be quick about this, as Bolkin will only stay around for a minute!

As for the prize for completing the scenario, I'm starting it off at 2 stacks of Q200 cats and half a million dapper. If too many people complete it, this may only be as long as the stocks last. If only a few people complete it, then I'll throw in extra. And yes, each person can only claim the prize once, and if you do the scenario with a team, only one prize per completion.

Additional hints:
  • To send me your screenshot, you can upload it somewhere and PM me the link, or E-mail it to boo(at)reapersofthedark.com (JPG please if E-mailed).
  • The Zoraď tent only works from the front, the Fyros tent only from the side.
  • If the first tent you try doesn't work, probably the last player left it inactive. Try another tent or press the reset button.
  • If the reset button doesn't work, try waiting two minutes first to see if it comes back.

Even though the scenario has been tested again and again, the Ring has an unfortunate habit of randomly breaking things that once worked. So if you spot anything that doesn't work as I've described above, give me a poke.

Have fun! And remember, for maximum eeriness while playing this scenario, you'll want to turn your sound on, your compass off, and sit in a dark room.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
ajsuk

Re: Trick or Treat (Halloween Ring Scenario)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar
Have fun! And remember, for maximum eeriness while playing this scenario, you'll want to turn your sound on, your compass off, and sit in a dark room.

QFE! This scenario rocks, try it!
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3
holina2

Thumbs up Re: Trick or Treat (Halloween Ring Scenario)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar

Great scenario, can only recommend it to others! And for maximum fun you should really turn on sound and compass off.

Tip for those who didn't have an active (paying?) account when the game was shut down: make a new free account and log in with that one!
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #4
setstyle

Looks awesome... I can't wait to try this.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #5
h0lycha0

Lots of fun Thanks Sidusar!

Two suggestions if you're having problems getting in (besides the account issue): Turn the sounds off just until you get in the Ring and make sure you have all these ports open. OK..3...Have patience, load times can be long.
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM   #6
chibiarc

I found it to be a little too hard for solo players. I got jumped by 3 red varinx, died and didn't feel the urge to walk all the way back from the spawn to the tents.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:22 PM   #7
iceaxe68

The thing about this scenario is that it can be completed by absolutely anyone, since you can just die and just go back to keep trying until you get enough treats - sometimes there are no attacks, you just get a treat. As a combat scenario, it is definitely high level content.

I visited with Olepi and had a blast. I never quite died, though I did have to rez Olepi a couple of times. I believe I could solo it, as we used no heals except after combat. (Olepi forgot his amps and I was busy whacking the mobs.)

If you want to solo it, I would recommend having a high level melee skill (master or near) and go "loaded for bear" with boosted HA and HP jewels and a really nice weapon with high DPS. I have doubts about soloing as a nuker, just because of the relative lack of extra HP from armor and the drain on your stats without a healer. You won't get a chance to nuke from long range. (Feel free to prove me wrong about that )

Some of the spawns went down easily, but some did not.

You might still die a time or two (I came awfully close) but that keeps it interesting.

If you can't manage those things, definitely get a team together. A decent hunting team with moderate skill levels could manage most or all of the spawns. And as I said, even if every spawn one-shots you, you can just keep going back. It's really fun, with a creepy environment and the drama of not knowing what (if anything) will come after you when you visit each tent.

(For the record, I'm currently lvl 226 2h axe, and used very good HA made by Riveit, boosted jewelry by Jayce, and a high damage/high speed Sup Tekorn-Jen 2h Axe by Sammo. [Thanks for the toys, guys, and you can pay me my advertising fee later ])
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM   #8
ajsuk

Shame you didn't like is Acri, 30 seconds walk eh? Sheeesh, that's rough.
Anyway, what's Halloween without a little death?

PS: Thx for the plug Sasi.
Jeweler
| Master Heavy Range Weaponsmith
[ Leader | Reapers of the Dark ]
[ Matis Noble | Karavaneer | Wayfarer | Arispotle ]
[ Gear Requirements | Server Status | Acronyms | Atys Time | Fireworks ]
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:01 PM   #9
aude03

good scenario, had fun.....even if i died one time (pop of 3 purple idiot kibans....and of course i entered the ring as a tourist...with a crappy 1h sword )

Thx for that

waiting your next one
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM   #10
jam2005

Loved the way the scenery was set up, and I could've sworn a totem pole laughed at me...

Thanks for the treat.

Bolkin BBQ!