Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > The Ryzom Ring
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
suib0m

Dialogue - choices?

Hey all,

I'm workin on a scenario and things are going pretty smooth so far. However, I'm at a point where it would be very useful to have a dialog with multiple choice options. I've found the {break} directive, but I'm not finding anything about choices. I did investigate mainland dialogues, such as with the city welcomer, but those appear to be mission texts. I didn't find a Ring task that was similar. Any pointers? Or is it just not possible right now?

Peace,
- Sui
suib0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
acridiel

Re: Dialogue - choices?

Damn, someone had that one figured out, but I can´t find it too.
And I believe it was in German anyway... I´ll ask around with our programming cracks

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #3
sidusar

There is a (somewhat clumsy) way to make dialog choices that I think usually suffices for most purposes - go take a look at the example scenario "Trigio's plight", in the second act, and see how it's done there. I think you'll get the idea better than I can explain it here.
sidusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #4
sx4rlet

Sounds like I have something to learn in the ring....

I thought dialogue choices could only be done like the matrix; if you want this, take the red pill, if you don't, then take the blue pill...
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
sidusar

Except that in the Ring it becomes; "if you want this, kill the red yubo, if you don't, then kill the blue yubo"?
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #6
vonzuben

In my last one, I gave choices by having you click on the NPC with the name of the choice you want. First you talked to one NPC who would tell you to make a choice by talking to the correct NPC next to him. Then 3 NPCs would appear, and their names were the choices. You can also have them click on scenery items like signs, but there’s no way to have “text over the item” like you can do with an NPC.
vonzuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
suib0m

That's pretty much how I dealt with it.

Click on NPC -
"Hello homin. You have a choice to make. These are my siblings. If you feel are a stinky gibbai clown, choose Hairy Bozo. If you feel you are a godlike warrior that is the ultimate in homin skill, choose Yerso D'Lusional. Choose wisely, young hobbi..er.. homin."

Not the exact words I used in my scenario, but you get the picture . Otherwise, I would use a scenery object interaction of the same nature. Pauses and dialog steps do the rest.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone

Peace,
- Sui
suib0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #8
sx4rlet

sounds like we all do it the same way, more or less...

Doing it with dialog would be a nice extra tho!
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:06 PM   #9
sidusar

I'd honestly like to just have some proper dialog first.

We all do it with the "run dialog if NPC is targeted by player" event, but that's often enough not very convenient. Why can't we have the type of dialog that's used on the mainland, wherein you target the NPC first and then click again (or rightclick and select an option from the list) to trigger their dialog?

It would be possible to engineer this in the Ring if the "Talk To Task Step" allowed the same NPC to be both the quest giver and the quest receiver, but we can't even do that.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #10
chibiarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidusar
Why can't we have the type of dialog that's used on the mainland, wherein you target the NPC first and then click again (or rightclick and select an option from the list) to trigger their dialog?
Because it's the Ryzom Ring. It has to be extra hard and confusing so people won't bother using it and notice all the bugs.
chibiarc is offline   Reply With Quote