Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
gaspode1

Oneofone - Where Am I?

Yes, well, that's what I was thinking last Monday afternoon. Turns out I was lying on my garage floor having a severe heart attack. (We live in the country out of anyones earshot and Carole was in Scotland on business). Fortunately (I suppose) the pain was so bad I couldn't just go to sleep so after a while I managed to get to a phone and call an ambulance.

"How bad's the pain?", one of the paramedics asked. I was toying with "Like I'm being run over by a herd of mektaubs" but thinking it wouldn't be what they wanted to hear, when the other guy got me off the hook by adding "on a scale of 1 to 10". Being British I said 8 while thinking 15.

I thought I'd get my own back a couple of days later by asking if they have a scale they use to measure heart attack severity. It turned out they do, it goes up to 90, and I was on 90 when I got to the hospital. Ah well, I suppose it's best to know these things.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it was an angioplasty (what an amazing piece of kit that is!!!) followed by a few days in hospital - got home yesterday afternoon.

So why am I posting? Well, mainly for some sympathy (no, not really). I should be back to the game soon but, if I'm honest, I don't want to have to keep explaining and reliving what happened. So, I thought I'd explain once and hope word gets around.

It looks like I'll be playing in shorter sessions in future and then breaking for a while, so it would be pretty obvious something had changed. Of course, playing Ryzom, in itself, isn't a problem. It's that I now have to build daily walks into my routine and other things that still need doing will now take longer and/or have to be split into chunks.

Apparantly, my heart is currently working at 35% so I have to hope that with the regular exercise as much as possible will recover over the next month or two. As Blackadder would say "The Devil farts in my face yet again" but fortunately I'm old enough to know that the universe doesn't contain a fairness clause. If anyone is curious (I suppose I would be), I'm 57, never smoked, don't drink alcohol/tea/coffee, don't have high blood pressure, cholesterol was 5.6 (so the hospital tell me, I've never had it checked), not diabetic/overweight/stressed, don't have a bad diet and no family history of heart disease. And, no, I'm not a paragon of virtue, it's just that apparantly my many vices are not relevant to heart problems.

Ah well, best wrap this up - time for a walk! Look forward to seeing everyone in game soon.

Adrian

Last edited by gaspode1 : February 21st, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
gaspode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
katriell

Re: Oneofone - Where Am I?

Hopefully you won't have any more trouble. :o

And, I have to say...nice post. I hope such humour helps you as much as it entertains others. :)

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM   #3
ahlmea

Hi Adrian, glad to see good news and humour in the bad. I enjoyed reading your post and the word is spreading. Alibooma wanted to let you know he read your post and to say get well soon. Take care of yourself and your heart, Adrian. Hope to chat to you in-game again soon.
ahlmea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:20 AM   #4
sx4rlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode1
I was toying with "Like I'm being run over by a herd of mektaubs"

Shame you didn't... Just imagine they would have replied with 'well, that's better then a bunch of killer kinchers...'

Get well!
sx4rlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM   #5
acridiel

Whooo, glad you made it!
Good to have you here still.

CU
Acridiel
acridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #6
hijati

Good to hear your doing better now and have the ability to keep getting better as time goes on...you hear about a lot of people who just give up when stuff like this happens and they think they did nothing wrong...but like you said there is no fairness clause in the universe and sometimes things just dont go our way. Keep going on those walks and who knows maybe they can turn into runs in a few years...

Best Wishes

Hijati
hijati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM   #7
kalindra

I'm glad you made it alive ! ... and I hope your heart gets back in shape soon.

The Exodus Syndicate

"Experience Perfection : Unharness Your Power"

"Ignore the flames or grill your marshmallows on them. Then feed them to the trolls so they keep their mouth shut."
kalindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:50 AM   #8
jwenting

Hope you recover soon, I've missed you and did indeed wonder if something'd happened to you.

A heart attack isn't the end of the world, but it is indeed a life changing event. Not to get you down, but do expect semi-regular bouts of pain in your chest afterwards. This is not (usually) your heart but a long term side effect of the kicking they give you to get it restarted (docs told that to my father several years ago after he had an episode similar to yours, he felt it coming, called an ambulance, they found him collapsed on the floor with the phone in his hand, he's fine now as far as his heart is concerned).
jwenting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
ghostflame

Hmm...if life is this unfair is that a hint that everyone should take up drinking, smoking and coffee? At least now I see no reason giving it up... ;-)
ghostflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #10
kerozcak

I'm glad you are still with us. Take care of yourself!

--
Tiss
kerozcak is offline   Reply With Quote