Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > Customer Support > Technical Support
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #1
lawrence

Arrow [FAQ] Networking, Firewalls & Routers (Please wait...)

I. Firewalls that are known to work with Ryzom
You may still need to customise the ports manually to get things to work. You may have to dig out the documentation on this as we do not have first hand experience in configuring all of these.

II. Firewalls that are known to cause issues
  • Norton Internet Security 2004 (NIS)
Occasionally causes problems with certain Ryzom .dll libraries. The .dll problem does no longer occur in the 2005 edition. However, NIS in general is known to be CPU and Memory intensive, which may slow down your overall system performance.
  • Tiny Personal Firewall (TPF)
This firewall has problems with the Microsoft Installer. It also causes issues with the hardware mouse cursor feature. If you want to use TPF and SoR, we recommend that you disable its 'Windows security' module first.
  • Microsoft ISA Firewall
This firewall does seem to have issues with letting Ryzom even start.
If someone gets it figured out please let us know how and we will include the advice here.

III. Outgoing Ports

The following ports are used by Ryzom. If you experience problems with connecting to the game, you may have to open the following outgoing ports manually in your firewall(s) and network router:
UDP 47851 to 47860 (game)
TCP 80 (support)
TCP 443 (account creation from launcher)
TCP 40916 (login/patch)
TCP 43434 (patch)
TCP 48851 to 48860 (Ring)
TCP 50000 (forum)
English CeB port: TCP 6001

IV. General Advice

- Grant "client_ryzom_rd.exe" and "client_background_downloader_rd.exe" permanent rights to send and receive data
- Disable any real-time Anti-Virus protection features and scheduled Anti-Virus scans while playing Saga Of Ryzom.
- After a server patch the server IP and port will usually change so you may have to redo your entry for Ryzom
- Disable other network apps such as BitTorrent or streaming audio as they can severly impact your net performance
- if Ryzom 'disappears' when launching, or takes a long time to connect then you probably have a firewall or possibly a router issue. Try restarting your system or granting the game client full access

V. An example on how to enable port triggering for LinkSys router

[Posted by trodofor on 05 Apr 2004 23:23. Another Solution for 10 Minute Disconnects]
Ok, I am one of the unfortunate people who have experienced the 10-minute disconnect problem, and I have come up with another temporary fix. Before you start saying why this won’t work (because it has to do with port forwarding) try it, or read the post. First, for those who just want to ‘get in to the game’, I’ll list what I did to make it work on my machine and network. Then I’ll try to explain why this works and why it is happening (to the best of my knowledge) so that it may help Nevrax and whoever else come up with a fix (if they do not have one already waiting to be patched).

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 version one. It would first be a good idea to make sure that you have the latest firmware for your router. If you own a non-Linksys router and have problems with disconnects, this technique may still work in principle, but the steps are going to be different.

How to do it:
1. Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser.
- some routers may use http://192.168.0.1 - consult your documentation
2. User name is usually blank, but the password is whatever you set it to be (I believe it is admin by default)
3. Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab
4. Click on the ‘Forwarding’ tab
5. At the bottom, there is a button for ‘Port Triggering’. Click that to open the port triggering form.
6. On that form, enter whatever you want for ‘Application’ (I used Ryzom).
7. On that same line, for ‘Trigger Port Range’ enter 47851 for start and 47860 for end
8. Again, same line, under the ‘Incoming Port Range’ enter 1000 and 3000 in those boxes
9. Click ‘Apply’, and then close your web browser.

NOTES:
If you have been running your computer a while, or have played Ryzom or other games/network programs since you have turned on your computer, you might need to restart your computer before you play Ryzom. Also, if it worked earlier, then suddenly disconnects you, restart your computer before starting Ryzom again. Find more information and answers in this thread.

http://www.portforward.com is a handy site for seeing how to enable port forwarding and triggering.

Last edited by boroshi : January 8th, 2009 at 12:10 PM.