Go Back   The Saga of Ryzom > English speaking community > Feedback
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1
lawrence
Inactive Members

Race-based Animations [New Vote]

Nevrax have posted a second poll regarding the recently added, race-based animations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrax
Three weeks ago, we patched new racial animations, with a temporary option allowing you to switch between the old and new ones, to better judge how they look in-game. As we explained in the last news on the subject, the time has come to run a second referendum, more detailed, where you are able to vote independently for each race, gender, and set (run/walk;sit).

The referendum will last 10 days, and will close on Monday 24th. For each animation, we will follow the option that got the majority of votes, and on the mid-term (a few months), we will set as default the new animations that are ok, and keep the current ones when there is an issue. The switch option will then disappear.

All new polls can be found over in the Community Liaison Forum:

Fyros
Zoraï
Tryker
Matis
lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #2
richky
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Re: Race-based Animations [New Vote]

It is nice to see this more detailed poll, but it still suffers from a fatal flaw. In all cases, the number of players who do not belong to a specific race outnumbers those who do. The effect of this is that the poll results will always be dominated by those who look at the animations from the outside and not those who have to live with them all of the time. If every player were to say (and vote) 'I don't like my animations, but the others all look ok' then all of the animations would be accepted and no one would be happy.
richky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #3
totnkopf

my question is: Instead of making the option to turn them on/off temporary, why not make that change permanent?
I attempted to play with them turned on, but the fact that my char persists on bouncing all over the screen while running gave me such a headache, I was forced to turn them off.

gotta agree with Radsul. While some of them look nice from afar, but its a very different issue when you're actually behind the helm of a char.
totnkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
richky

Quote:
Originally Posted by totnkopf
my question is: Instead of making the option to turn them on/off temporary, why not make that change permanent?
I attempted to play with them turned on, but the fact that my char persists on bouncing all over the screen while running gave me such a headache, I was forced to turn them off.
Yes, leaving the option in would also make me happy. I have also tried to get used to the bouncing, but it is just too much - and I really don't want to have to start life over as a Tryker
richky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5
jinnear
Member (30+ posts)

Had a look a the current scores and noticed that the "sit" for Zoraï seems to make it... ... ... ...
I play a Zoraï and Im actually rather embarrassed by it. Have anyone noticed the very suspicious hand-movement that comes half a second after you're seated??
It looks like you are correcting something or pleasing yourself or something... If it's a bug, please Nevrax, fix it before you implement it. If it isnt a bug... what were you thinking... really??

Other than that Im fine with the new animations on the races I play... no opinion on the others.

Cheers.
jinnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #6
blaah

Quote:
they need to actually make some changes to server side and network code if they want to allow us to chose which animation we want to use with our char.

Quote:
same here, playing tryker female... and looks like bouncy animation is coming because some think it's funny and will vote "yes".

and why ask if ppl want "new" matis male/female run/walk animations when they have not changed them ?
blaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #7
kaetemi

Location: Lembeek, Belgium E-mail: [email protected] Ring Alpha Tester

the fyros male sitting is ok, but extremely bugged
kaetemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #8
dmarxs
Member (30+ posts)

As a Tryker male I hated my run at first, but it has kind of grown on me, so much so that I would hate to go back to the normal one which to me seems a little boring now.
I voted yes for Tryker run but judging by the poll so far it's still going to fall on the side of no. That would be really disappointing now that I have got to like and get along with it.
dmarxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #9
totnkopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaah
they need to actually make some changes to server side and network code if they want to allow us to chose which animation we want to use with our char.
I'm not saying we should get to choose which char animations we like and switch them on/off, or say see the other animations, but switch off our own. I meant why not keep it as it is now, either the new animations all on or all off.

To be honest, I think this whole area was something that didn't really need to be touched at all. Why get used to the way a char walks for over a year and then radically change it? I personally don't really appreciate people voting on how my character will behave...
totnkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #10
keoni

After seeing these in action for awhile, it seems to me that there's a common theme to the problem with most of them. Perhaps in the effort to make them notably differentiated between the races, they took what were basically good concepts... and overdid them. With the exception of a few of them (notably the Zorai sit, and the female tryker sit) I believe most of them would be notably improved if the same concepts were applied, but toned down by about half.

Even though I voted for the new animations in the first polling, at this point I hope most of them get voted down so the animators can go back to the drawing board, before everyone is stuck with these indefinitely.
keoni is offline   Reply With Quote