Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM   #1
wizaerd

What is meant by roleplaying?

I know in the general sense of the word what roleplaying is (just ask my gf heh heh heh), but in the context of the game, what is roleplayed and how? I see a lot of people describing IC chats (in-character) and OOC chats (out of character), but what is generally roleplayed? I know this sounds vauge, and I like the concept of roleplaying, just not quite sure how to proceed or what to do... (ducks head, and runs around the corner to peek at the possible responses...)
wizaerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM   #2
totnkopf

Re: What is meant by roleplaying?

varies per person....

I consider playing any role in the game to be a form of RP, meaning that anyone playing as a Kami zealot or karavan fantic is RPing to a degree. Then there are others who further define their role and take it to a deeper level... the ((((((I'm drinking wine now))))))) crowd. They choose to accentuate their characters actions and words and full immerse themselves into their characters.

I tend to label the first group as Semi-RPers while the 2nd group go as Heavy-RPers
totnkopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM   #3
gillest

Aye, we all playing the role of an homin(e) so we could consider that as RP:

Aripostle is not very Heavy RP as defined by Morgaine: more populated by ppl who want to play their role on the planet, zealot, neutral, contestator or else but mainly everybody chat casually.

Some sentiments (emotes) flight around but light RP imo, i would more name it chatting myself.

On contrary, Aniro is very heavy RP: if you meet player from Aniro on the ring, one sentence out of two is not chat but spoken action:
*take his sword and bash the evil kami head, blabla...*

"we want to rule the world, to free our kind" (Shinken, Poete-healer)
Do not forget the old man words!

Too much PvP is bad for your sanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhound
holy crap I went to bed as jackoba and woke up sounding like jyudas :P
gillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM   #4
grimjim

Role-playing is creating an alter-ego in your character and then, within the game, trying to think and act as the character would, rather than as is necessarily dictated by mechanics etc. Learning and growing with the character, 'allowing' the character to act and speak.

In these sorts of games more effort tends to go into creating a background within the lore as RPing options are reasonably limited in any CRPG.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:37 PM   #5
mrshad

It is pretty open on Aris. Most of the 'public' chat channels are non-rp, most of the time.
Guild and team chat varies by team and guild.
I think it is fair to say that most players on Aris are semi-rp at most, while a few players and guilds are quite a bit more serious about it.

If you want a list of RP guilds, am I sure we could find one.
mrshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:03 PM   #6
raynes

To me, roleplaying is using game lore to define and explain your choices and actions in game.

For example, I am a Zorai in game that hates the Karavan and supporting tribes. I wear Tryker armor that I bought at a vendor. I spent some time around the Silt Scuptors camp killing the tribe so I could get some cash and fame boosts. Yea... it's that exciting? lol

However if we throw a little rp in there:

A short time ago while out in the Winds of Muse I came across the Silt Sculptors harvesters stealing resources for the Karavan. In the name of the Kami I ordered them to stop, they laughed at me. So I had no choice to slaughter them. The armor I wear was taken from them as a reward for my service to the Kami in killing them.

See what a different RP makes? Gives things a meaning and purpose.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:52 PM   #7
mugendo

When i'm logged in I'm Roleplaying.
Guess I am either a hardcore Roleplayer.....or a very shy individual hiding behind my Zorai mask

edit - and I really ...really ..really dislike the >>>>drinking wine<<<<<< RP style.

*pours more coffee and enters reply*
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:19 AM   #8
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugendo
When i'm logged in I'm Roleplaying.
Guess I am either a hardcore Roleplayer.....or a very shy individual hiding behind my Zorai mask

edit - and I really ...really ..really dislike the >>>>drinking wine<<<<<< RP style.

Without some RP props there isn't much choice
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:04 AM   #9
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
Without some RP props there isn't much choice

well that and the real reason.....i'm too lazy myself to emote ingame
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:37 AM   #10
geezas

I don't know if this helps but I imagine walking onto a stage when I log on. Somewhat like a performance that is starting and I am part of the show. I talk to other, invent stuff on the spot and try to behave in a manner that is not out of place.
geezas is offline   Reply With Quote