Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #51
apziro

Re: Wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiaoak
You are right that PvE is not just neutral. Actually most PvE players aren't neutral. Ask any PvE player, why they are not neutral. I'm pretty sure the answer will be teleports.

You are making it sound like they are being forced against their will. But you CHOOSE to put a lot of energy into remaining neutral. If you want to be neutral, simply because you want to be neutral, then that's an ideologic choice, almost bordering to anarchism. And that can be great fun if that's what you're going for. But choosing to stay independant of major factions has always been tied to certain disadvantages, just like they are here. That has nothing to do with PvP.
apziro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #52
raynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiaoak
Sure, I could easily do missions and be Karavan or Kami and never PVP, but why I should? I'm not PvPer, so why I should I have to do something what is build ONLY for PvP reason?

Obviously in your case the missions would not be for PvP, they would be to get access to the teleports. You are sending a double message. You say you don't want anything to do with the Kami or Karavan entities, yet you play like they exist.
raynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #53
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by apziro
You are making it sound like they are being forced against their will. But you CHOOSE to put a lot of energy into remaining neutral. If you want to be neutral, simply because you want to be neutral, then that's an ideologic choice, almost bordering to anarchism. And that can be great fun if that's what you're going for. But choosing to stay independant of major factions has always been tied to certain disadvantages, just like they are here. That has nothing to do with PvP.

And advantages.
Switzerland being a case in point.
grimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #54
ruslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacen
a neutral is actually gathering materials in a wared zone with the same "mobility bonuses" than the 2 sides. Thuss, he enters directly in competition with them.

Congratulation! Neutrals are now the 3rd side (tm) and therefore fully elligible for faction pvp: is this really what you want?
Here the balance between Neutral and Factions is based on mobility: you want Mobility, then you give up on the Safety; should you prefer Safety, then you give up on Mobility. It's a bit like the stanza system, every added Effect MUST add a equal amount of Credit, hehe. Currently, you are requesting both Safety and Mobility WITHOUT giving anything up in return... so I disagree.

I hope you understand now that when I said Congratulation, you are the 3rd side and thus a new pvp faction, I was merely suggesting a counter-action to balance your own. If you disagree.. then present me another counter-part that would make it up for the added mobility bonus given to Neutrals.

There seems to be a misconception here of game mechanics. When you're talking about materials in a war zone, you appear to assume that the zone is faction vs faction. The Prime Roots (and Outposts) are guild vs guild. Anyone, whether factioned or neutral has potentially the same safety issues in these zones as do they have the same potential to hold an outpost.

What this actually suggests to me is that, while there is conflict between the factions in the lore, it would be a very narrow minded viewpoint to think that your options are to either be factioned and fight the other faction or to be neutral and stay out of fights.

We have no reason to limit our thinking to there being just 2 sides. The reality is that there can be as many "sides" as there are guilds. There's nothing to stop a guild (or a character) being Kami, yet wanting no part in the war, or being Karavan but hating another Karavan guild so much they want to destroy them, or being neutral, but hating anyone who follows a religion so much to believe that they must all die. The lore and mechanics are in place, the limits are in our imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjim
And yes, they should be able to tag up, if they want to.

Absolutely! Why not? How about an "I can kill anyone with a tag and they can kill me" tag?
ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #55
grimjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynes
Obviously in your case the missions would not be for PvP, they would be to get access to the teleports. You are sending a double message. You say you don't want anything to do with the Kami or Karavan entities, yet you play like they exist.

They exist but there should be room for other people to play.
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #56
apziro

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
And advantages.

If we're still even remotely talking about the game, then it's not a fitting comparison. Switzerland is, after all, an independant faction in it's own right, not simply a group of people running around, avoiding making up their minds.
apziro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #57
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim
And advantages.

Switzerland was granted 'neutrality' by the European powers in 1815. Obviously Karavan and Kami replace Europeans ingame...and deny you Neutrality ..now that is settled..... , anybody for popcorn ?
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #58
grimjim

Quote:
If we're still even remotely talking about the game, then it's not a fitting comparison. Switzerland is, after all, an independant faction in it's own right, not simply a group of people running around, avoiding making up their minds.

Again, no, that would be 'undecided'.

Neutral does cover a spectrum of opinions, all the more reason for greater freedom to act within that.
Old November 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #59
mugendo

Quote:

And don't tell me that I can't make up my mind as a neutral !!!.... I have decided quite clearly to follow the Kami teaching and ...erm........dig for a living...and as soon as I find the prime root I will..erm...not enter..will I ?

seriously, Neutral is the label placed on Homins who do not agree with either faction.....it is the faction that operates under ...independent thought....
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #60
tigrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslan

Absolutely! Why not? How about an "I can kill anyone with a tag and they can kill me" tag?

dude, come on.. You cant see the problem with that?
Example: 2 kara is fighting 2 kami.
2 neutrals comes along with their tags on.
Those 2 kami is me and raynes.

Afterwards, 2 kara and 2 neutrals are lying dead on the ground.
Then the forums would be filled with whining from the carebears who died.

On a serious note, they could choose to supergank, depending on choice. And change in the middle of a fight. Unbalanced.. And im SUPER against it.
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote