Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 15th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1
marlevvll

Please help me!

Hello everyone!

I just started full time school, and I haven't logged into the Ryzom world in a long time.

Unfortunately, the reason why I haven't logged in is because if a lack of desire to play.

I checked my account information, and I still have a week left on my account - which can be good. In all honesty, I don't want to leave Ryzom! I've left so many MMO's that I've driven myself and my gaming friends crazy!!

However, if one doesn't have a desire to play, or 'lost interest' in a game, I suppose they have the right to their own choice.

So, I hope I stay. I really do. I love my guild (The Pyr Militia!) and everyone in it. The community of this game ROCKS! I was and still am blown away at that aspect of Ryzom.

However, the gameplay isn't as in-depth as I wanted. It seems it turns into a grind-fest with no PvE elements that other games do. *NOTE* I'm NOT talking about RAIDS! I'm talking about just PvE elements that aren't just grinding for mats, you know?

I might log into the game within the next week. Actually, I change my mind. I will log in within the next week. I REALLY want to stay. But if doesn't equal fun, then I see no point, right?

This is the main reason(s) I posted this thread..

1) Are there any other aspects to Ryzom than to just grind mats, and OP battles? (please don't say 'make friends', because you can do that in any MMO )

2) I'm an EQer, with that great PvE element. Anyone here know what I'm talking about? Does Ryzom (for those higher level people) have any cool PvE elements, or is it just a grind?

3) I checked my account information, and it says that I have 1 week left on my subscription. Its a 'recurring' subscription. If worse comes to worse, how do I cancel it? Note: IF WORSE comes to WORSE. I don't want to leave, but yeah, you get it!

4) Convince me to stay! AHH! The turmoil!

Love you guys, and GOD BLESS!!
marlevvll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #2
tigrus

Re: Please help me!

Bosshunts, PvP,Naked PvP like i did today, Mektoub Trekks, Regular Trekks, Hunting people in PR, Making Movies, Boxing the Kirosta on the island to death with your guild, naked and only using fists. (movie will come soon).

Theres tons, its all about the guild you pick, the friends you hang with. And the Highlight and Devil of Arispotle. (me).
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #3
marlevvll

So YOU have to make the game interesting for YOURSELF? The game itself can't be interesting?
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #4
beaut666

This is such an issue for so many players. I have always stated this: No MMO out there will have endless hours of incredible quests and loot and crafting that will keep your attention forever. You will grow tired of every aspect of every MMO there is. I have played and beta'd around 50, near 60 now. Beta'ing two new ones now.
The key is to find your home. We all have those moments that you log in and look around, your friends might be on, or it might be late at night and you just sigh and log right out. That's what you call burn out.
But the thing is about Ryzom is that as soon as you go back to a game that has these linear levels (where there are 400 copies of you running around) and non stop quests (that everyone has done) you start to miss the freedom of Atys.
Do I think the game could use some more...stuff? Of course...all games could. Hell, maybe we could get updates everyday. But I have found that getting involved in different aspects of the game, besides levelling grinding and questing helps it last a long time.
Also, try roleplay. Like I've always said, with roleplay you add your own expansions.
Hope you stick around!
Beau

Beau (Arispotle Server)
beaut666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #5
katriell

You get out what you put in.

If all you do is grind, the game will be a grindfest for you. Get into more abstract aspects of gameplay, slow down and focus on doing what you find enjoyable. It's not a race, there isn't a finish line.

Ryzom is deep, therefore it does not readily and obviously present its depths on a silver platter.

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #6
gcaldani

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlevvll
So YOU have to make the game interesting for YOURSELF? The game itself can't be interesting?

This is a sandbox game, so you are totally free to do anything you want.

The game is made with this aspects, so it's interesting because it gives you an environment, a virtual world, with rules and misteries.
Have you discovered eveything about Atys? Have you ever seen any place?
Have you met all the tribes and seen who is friendly and who is not? Have you got full knowledge of the ecosystems?

If you play just for leveling, it's a grind. It will be a grind also with more quests into. As any mmo around, grinding depends on your playstyle.

What happens in all other games? when u have done all the quests, you have just grinded to level at max. And how many quests you will remember at the end? Just the ones that you have grinded a lot because of some stuff into.

I'm sorry if you feel you have nothing to do in Atys, because the entire planet is a big quest. Of course, if you just use spoilers to accomplish something you will miss the point: altough spoilers can be good in most of quest-driven games, it is the worse way to play a sandbox game.

Said that i agree that ryzom need more content or, as someone pointed out somewhere in the forum, more 'features'.
But if you don't feel a sense of achievement in doing something that is not just kill for xp, then ryzom is not your game.

It's not casual, maybe, that most of the community has finished school much time ago

I mean, maybe young players prefer something with more action and less chat or dig (and probably no RP at all), and quests can help in this. Maybe if i was 18 could have the same feeling.

Rickey's Law
People don't want "A story". They want *their* story.

Try to build your story in Atys
gcaldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #7
marlevvll

I see and respect all of your suggestions.

I've tried RPing, I've done this and that with my guild - geez.

I love the 'lore' that EQ had. I played it for two years and didn't get even 1/100th into it.

I left because I was tired of games, and - I guess I never returned.

I'm looking for a home again. Ryzom? Or..EverQuest again? ...hmm...
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #8
dakhound

there is more to it that grinding, hell I spent nearly a year of my game time not grinding. There is ofc the distraction of PvP, Hunting named bosses across atys and the obvious boss hunts. I think alot of people burn themselves out digging and grinding when they should just set themselves a few challenges and aim for that.
dakhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #9
iwojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhound
there is more to it that grinding, hell I spent nearly a year of my game time not grinding. There is ofc the distraction of PvP, Hunting named bosses across atys and the obvious boss hunts. I think alot of people burn themselves out digging and grinding when they should just set themselves a few challenges and aim for that.

QFE

The current trend of rushing new players to 250 so they can be PvP heavyweights is bad for the game. Where is the fun of exploring new regions when you have more power than anything there ?
Effectively you are eliminating 70% of the game world as a challenging place to adventure.

Take your time, explore the world.... enjoy the world.
iwojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #10
gillest

Create your own missions.

Here I give you one: Map every single spot of wastelands (3 regions) with no TP: that will keep you discovering for at least 3 more months (not including the 3 months removing DP)

"we want to rule the world, to free our kind" (Shinken, Poete-healer)
Do not forget the old man words!

Too much PvP is bad for your sanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhound
holy crap I went to bed as jackoba and woke up sounding like jyudas :P
gillest is offline   Reply With Quote