Go Back   Ryzom > English speaking community > General
Ryzom News FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you participate in an event that includes a risk of permadeath?
Yes 20 19.61%
No 72 70.59%
Unsure 10 9.80%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #21
vguerin

Re: Permadeath in an event

If I had the ability to kill a certain homin that implies he is related to my character, then I would risk someone capping me. Certain annoyances you want to take care of yourself :P

I choose, yes !
vguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #22
fadebait

not a hope. lose my friends list that includes many who have left game so i cannot re-add, lose my skils that took so long to work up, and lose all the time building relationships with other characters in the game in one event?

why would anyone ever do this unless they are bored with the game and on the verge of leaving anyway?

frankly i think its a pretty foolish and reckless idea. maybe a long event (a week or a weekend or something) that when you have died once you cannot rejoin - now that would be fun. this is pointless. there is no reward that could possibly make the chance of losing you main character worth while.
fadebait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #23
gillest

Another reason: implement the idea of been stronger when mastering more than one branch of the same skill..

Link the permadeath the a Ultimate fighter tournament..

I say no: Don't want final to fell all alone

"we want to rule the world, to free our kind" (Shinken, Poete-healer)
Do not forget the old man words!

Too much PvP is bad for your sanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakhound
holy crap I went to bed as jackoba and woke up sounding like jyudas :P
gillest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #24
tigrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by philu
How did that work then?

Well, The Jedi in the Force Ranking System had perma death.
Meaning once you got jedi, you could become stronger and stronger through PvP, (exploited by many through Fight Clubbing though, but that can be avoided easily). What they do is you have a rank, that can be boosted or weakened through pvp. At certain ranks, you get access to certain bonuses, like the Dark Jedi Knight Oppressor Robe, that gave you extra stats.
Similar things here could be access to a special armor mat you could use for extra stats in the armor. Like a extra 30 HP, 30 stam per piece on HA, or a 15% chance to resist a magic attack. Or a 5% chance to make a attack on you GIVE you HP instead of taking it.
At another rank, you could get stronger weapon plans, at the highest rank, maybe access to new spells/attacks.

In SWG you also had incap's. meaning once you hit 0 HP, you didnt get KILLED, you got incapped. Then you would be down for bout 15 seconds, then your toon would stand up with really low hp. If you got down again, you got incapped again, then if you got a 3rd incap within 3 minutes you died. When you were incapped though, a person *COULD* deathblow you. Basicly killing you like in ryzom.
Your rank would be increased by incapping a person, because that wins you the duel. (and you CAN deathblow him if you choose)

After you got killed 3 times you had perma death, (this got changed before publish 9-10 though if i remember correct, long time ago).
At perma death, your toon got killed, or reset. You lost all jedi access until you did the jedi grind again. Which was rare, and was a **Edited for profanity** to do.

In most duels, people wouldnt DB a jedi, or a person who was grinding jedi.
They were the strongest players, respected for their grind.
You had a few exeptions to this rule. People like me, ZhouYu, LivyIIK, Mini-Nolan, Barantos, etc. We would pretty much DB anyone, even though not all of us was in the Force Ranking System. Like myself, i didnt do that for a long long time. Hence I wasnt known as a force ranking pvper.

But perma death was cool, if the system was right.

Last edited by tydamus : April 10th, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
tigrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #25
mugendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philu
How did that work then?

http://www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php?h...c86de53d2fddc0

As for permadeath question of the OP, I came across this situation in SWG (Not Jedi related) with a group of 'hardcore' roleplayers, It was not a pleasant experience because It was demanded I live with the consequences of their 'rules' (which applied to me because I entered 'their' world space)....and which became 'flexible' rules when applied to themselves....Permadeath is fine in games that include it as a feature at the outset during the creation of a character. For Ryzom permanent death has no place, because PvP shows us that people dislike even 'temporary' setbacks to their character.
I operate to the rules of the game, if anybody wants to create their own set then It is best they login to the Ring server and act them out there
mugendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #26
xfluffee

Not at all.

Ryzom is not set up mechanically to make this work. The biggest "thing" to do in the game is the grind, and after a while, most people get tired of it -- to the point that there is frequent botting and account sharing to get a master.

A permadeath situation -- for Ryzom -- would just make that problem worse.

If Ryzom were set up such that "the grind" were not such a huge portion of the game (ie: huge time-sink), then sure.
xfluffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #27
katriell

Quote:
The biggest "thing" to do in the game is the grind, and after a while, most people get tired of it -- to the point that there is frequent botting
o_O I've never seen or heard of botting in Ryzom. I've never even heard of people hearing of botting. What are you referring to?

ï = ALT+0239 | advice for mission design | Zoraï masks
long-distance communication | some foods and drinks | Zoraï pictograms
"Ryzom: We dare to be different. Do you dare to adapt?" - Acridiel
katriell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #28
riveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfluffee
-- to the point that there is frequent botting and account sharing to get a master.

As someone who knows hundreds of Ryzom players, I think that botting is extremely rare and account sharing very uncommon too. I would have said that we have only seen a handful of players who have done these CoC-breaking activities, been punished and hopefully stopped. But maybe I am naive?
riveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #29
tr808

Well recently i have been looking for those botting programs since i come from a game where bottin seemed more natural then playing with ur hands, at least for me it is very hard to find such a program for Ryzom while other MMORPG's seem to have very dedicated forums and sites to such programs.... i want to distress i was purely looking for knowledge not with the intend to use them... but i didnt find any or i just didnt look good enough lol.
tr808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #30
ambika

I choose yes! I want it to be in a grand glorious battle! Give my Ambika a proper death.

I would hate re-leveling a new character though. *shudders*
ambika is offline   Reply With Quote